TomTom VIA 53 - new map updates not available — TomTom Community

TomTom VIA 53 - new map updates not available

Hello,
I bought recently a tomtom VIA 53, it says on the box that it has lifetime Map updates, but the map on the device is from 05/2018 (Europe v1011.9036). I have tried to update it and it says its up to date. I know the newer version map (04/2020) is available (I have also VIA 52 with this latest map version, downloaded without any problems). If anyone had the same problem? Thank you in advance.

Comments

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 5,623
    Superuser
    Hi @kam69636

Hopefully @VikramK will pick this up and have a look at your account and sort it out if necessary.

Doug
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 9,886 Moderator
    edited June 10
    Hi @kam69636

Welcome to the community!
    The service has been activated now. Please check for updates now.

Thanks, Vikram
  • kam69636kam69636 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hi @DougLap, @VikramK

I checked and updates are available now. Thank you very much, you are the best :-)
  • andcarandcar Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    I have exactly the same problem. Have an old map in device but it says no updates. I try to add another map, also called "Europe" but it is to big to add and I cannot delete the original map since I need to have one map on the device
    How to proceed?
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 9,886 Moderator
    Hi @andcar

I don't find any problems with the services on your device. Could you do a factory reset and check for map updates in MyDrive Connect?

Main menu- Settings- System- Reset device

Regards, Vikram
    I have tryed factory reset and it seems that I had the original map before reset so I have never succeded in updating the map.
    The device still dont find any map update.
    How do you mean "check för updates in MyDrive Connect? I have the program installed on my PC but I cannot do anyting. There is only information that I should get the latest updates with wifi...
    Also strange with the Europe map i have on the device and another one I can see but cannot download to the device due to lack of space.
    Superuser
    Hi @andcar

I see you are in Sweden and it appears that you are saying you have a Via 53 which updates via Wifi and does not need a PC with My Drive Connect except in certain circumstances such as poor Wifi download speeds. If this is the case, that model is not sold here in the UK but based on other similar units I assume you have 16gb of internal memory, is that correct.

If you have the full European map on the unit then as that is about 9GB that means that with the Operating system as well on the internal memory you will only have around 4GB of free memory left . If for example you wanted to download the USA you would have to add a Micro SD Class 10 memory card to be able to have it on the unit. What is the other map you can see but can't download.

It I a good idea to have a minimum of 2 maps on the unit if you can as if you are doing an update of your main map and the re is a problem and you lose it then the second map enables you to operate the unit normally and so it is easier to sort the matter out.

When you go to Settings/Maps /Choose another map can you see this second map and can you switch to it.

If you Tap Menu then go to the ? icon and select that what Free Memory is your device showing. It should also list the 2 maps if they are both on the unit.

Doug
    Thanks for all help. I had the factory europe map at hte size of approx 6,5 GB.
    Today when I tryed again to download the new Europe map the device said that I did not have any map on the device and it was ok to download a new one. Don´t know if it was something you did but since the map I had was gone I could download a the new.
    Problem solved.

Still curious how you mean I shold have minimum two maps. How do I add another (small) map? Do I have to buy one more or how do you mean?
    Superuser
    Hi @andcar

I only suggested that as you said that you could see another map. I would not buy another map however if you have got a second map freely available to you it would be a good idea to download it as well so you have 2 on the unit even if one is on the internal memory and the other is on an extra memory card.

If you have not got one already it might be an idea to get an extra memory card for the and insert it and format it on the device for Maps. When the maps gets even bigger then the software will move it to the Extra memory card when the time is right. One benefit of this is the unit needs a minimum of 400mb of free space on it for operational purposes and freeing up space on the internal memory can speed it up.

I would suggest a 16gb Micro SD Class 10 memory card either Sandisk , Samsung or a similar major manufacturers. 32gb is the maximum the device will work with but if you are not proposing to buy more maps then the 16gb will certainly meet your needs.

Doug