Source of elevation data in Tom Tom Sports application — TomTom Community

Source of elevation data in Tom Tom Sports application

sakossakos Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
I saw other discussion about why the altitude data cannot be shown during performing activity (GPS accuracy limitations, reception issues, hardware resource, etc.) However when I finish the activity and sync my device with the application I can see the detailed and precise elevation data together with speed and other data.

I wonder what is the source of that elevation data. If it comes from the device (Tom Tom Runner) then it should be easily available during the activity as well. But after reading the above mentioned discussion I tend to suspect that the elevation data is not measured by the device but calculated the application by elevation data connected to its map database.

How it is working actually?

Best Answer

Answers

• sakossakos Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    Thanks. It explains a lot of things.

Once I planned to switch to Garmin Vivoactive but I read that the elevation measurement was very inaccurate. I did not understand why they are using barometric sensor instead of accurate GPS like in my Runner. Now I understand what I misunderstood.

Is there a not expensive alternative of Runner with a good enough accurate real time altitude measurement?
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,727
    Superusers
    sakos wrote: »
    Thanks. It explains a lot of things.

Once I planned to switch to Garmin Vivoactive but I read that the elevation measurement was very inaccurate. I did not understand why they are using barometric sensor instead of accurate GPS like in my Runner. Now I understand what I misunderstood.

Is there a not expensive alternative of Runner with a good enough accurate real time altitude measurement?

Yes, there is the Adventurer, which is the only model with an altimeter. Altimeters will always be more accurate than GPS and can get you data in real time. With GPS you need to wait until you have uploaded to get elevation data. However it is a moot point as TT Sports went out of business over 2.5 years ago and stopped all production so you would not want to upgrade anyway.