Best bluetooth earbuds in helmet? RIDER TomTom RIDER 550 — TomTom Community

Best bluetooth earbuds in helmet? RIDER TomTom RIDER 550

Toronto_PaulToronto_Paul Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited June 7 in RIDER
Greetings from Toronto.

I'm moving to TomTom from Garmin. I've always had hard wired earbuds to hear directions/listen to podcasts or audiobooks while on long distance trips.

I notice that the Rider 550 does not have an audio port so I'm on the hunt for bluetooth earbuds while I wait for it to arrive. I tried the JBL Tune 120's but they were too bulky to get inside my helmet.

Now I'm looking at the Apple Airpods or Airpods Pro as they seem slimmer. Any feedback on either of them or any other earpods that will fit in your helmet?

Cheers!

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,726
    Superusers
    edited June 9
    I use one of these connected over Bluetooth to my Rider 400 or Rider 550 when I’m driving a noisy Self-Hire panel van
    The 3mm male/male jack plug is removable and I plug in a pair of standard hard wired ear buds

You could use you're existing hard wired ear buds....

378ecc4f-78fd-471e-8078-7494bbbc036f.png
    See...https://amzn.to/2WJ0IVP

Or one of these....

99jp48cqd9dp.jpg
    Here... https://amzn.to/3fDpvDn

Use the above at your own discretion all the usual disclaimers apply
    ATB YFM
  • Toronto_PaulToronto_Paul Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    You were reading my mind. All of the bluetooth buds seem quite big. Only the Airpods seem small enough that they might fit but I don't own an Apple phone.

Thanks for the tip that the 3.5mm jack can be removed to headphones can be plugged in.

From reading the forums it looks like the Rider 550 uses your phone as a media player. Does it have the media controls on screen to play/pause/volume?

Cheers!
    Superusers
    edited May 11
    Hi
    @Toronto_Paul
    I use a iPhone and Spotify... (I have also used a Windows12 phone with Spotify and with my Music library stored on the phone)

The image in the 1st link in my post....
    The centre button is the power button
    The outer ring is Volume up/down
    Skip froward/backward through the play-list

The image in the 2nd link in my post....
    The centre button on the front face is the power button
    The buttons on the edge are multi function
    Press & Hold the + & - Button to increase/decrease the volume
    A quick Click of the + & - Button skip froward/backward through the play-list....

At the moment I'm using the device in the 1st image as a Bluetooth link to Spotify for my Home Sound surround system... The sound quality from both bluetooth devices is excellent...

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • tiljestiljes Posts: 249 [Exalted Navigator]
    How do you combine this with hearing protection?
    Superusers
    edited June 6
    Hi
    @tiljes
    Do you mean set the volume level ???
    You can only adjust the volume level while the Rider 4xx or 5xx is speaking an instruction....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    @YamFazMan Nah, I mean, if I put foam earplugs as hearing protection...how can you still use earplugs for listening to audio?
    Superusers
    edited June 9
    Hi
    @tiljes
    By Ear buds....I mean....
    A pair of normal in-ear headphones wired to a 3mm jack plug

Normal in-ear wired Ear-buds will reduce reduce the Panel Van noise plus there's no need to set the volume the Rider 550 to 100% to hear the driving instructions in the Van

Normal in-ear wired Ear-buds with sound cancelling would be even better

Custom in-ear wired Ear-buds... Here for example...

Stay Safe ATB YFM
    Normal in-ear ear buds don't do enough dampening for me. Also, I don't really trust active noise cancelling for hearing protection.

But those custom moulded ear buds look great! I need a pair of these.
  • JoelS.JoelS. Posts: 317 [Exalted Navigator]
    for wireless, we have the jabra t75 active, they might work...i might try them, they are slim, and fit in the ear. (wife uses them more, i use the sennheiser tw2, way too big for under helmet
    myself , i use a cable to my phone, and some triple driver custom in ear monitors, they work well, but the price of admission is steep, depending on the number of drivers, and desired sound quality.