How are you managing routes? — TomTom Community

How are you managing routes?

abowenabowen Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
Hello,

I have a few dozen routes that I ride fairly often, also a bunch for upcoming vacations or long weekends. I like to tinker with these routes but want to always have updated versions on my Rider 550. I understand the difference between tracks (.gpx) and routes (.itn) and I believe I want routes as these rides are often far from home and subject to traffic, road closures, or just want the ability to re-route on the fly because something else down the road looks interesting. Any ideas on how to manage a collection of routes like this?

I like MyDrive. It's fantastic compared to other applications I've used but it only syncs tracks. Can I use a track in the way I described above? I didn't think they worked this way. I know I can "send stops" for individual routes in MyDrive one at a time but that's just not going to work long term because I then have to save each route on the GPS one at a time. Can I export files from MyDrive as routes in .itn format and sync them all at once over bluetooth, usb, or wifi? Thanks.

Edit: After reading more about routes vs tracks, it seems TomTom wants me to use tracks for navigation. Maybe tracks will meet my needs and I'm unaware of how to get them to do this? I used a track last weekend and I decided to deviate from my planned route and reached my final destination. During the last 15 minutes of my ride, the GPS insisted I "make a u-turn" even when I was parked in my driveway, the final destination in the track.

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,448
    Superusers
    edited June 2020
    Hi
    @abowen
    Welcome to the site....
    There's a thread already open discussing the pros and cons of .ITN v .GPS Route/Tracks
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1123786/planning-routes/p1

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Rob_RRob_R Posts: 56 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    Hi @abowen

Yes I agree that it certainly appears like TomTom are pushing people towards tracks, as the only simple way to get a route transferred to a Rider 550 is to send stops.

Strangely enough if you export a route from MyDrive as a GPX, it produces a file that contains both a route and a track but if you then transfer that file to the Rider 550, via USB, it still imports as a track in fact you get two of them!

I tend to use tracks and as you say, if you go off path it is then a bit hit and miss. It tries to route you back to the track and can indeed result in a lot of "Turn Around When Possible" messages.

Also, for the usecase you describe, I think routes are better as the TomTom will attempt to route you to the next waypoint/stop if you deviate and you have the option to manually skip it.

I guess you are supposed to just use the "send stops" feature but as you again have correctly stated, you need to save each one to the device before sending the next so loading a bunch of them becomes a pain.

To me I would like to see a "Sync as Route" option on MyDrive in addition to (not in place of - I like tracks as they have their uses) tracks.

• Rob_RRob_R Posts: 56 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    I was just thinking more about this.

If I have understood correctly, your requirement is to be able to bulk-load routes, not tracks onto your device which is not easy to do unless you save each one in turn.

I suspect however that the concept is that you don't need to do that at all.

If you are planning a trip you can plan the routes on MyDrive. When you go on your trip, you simply open MyDrive on your phone, pick the route you want to ride today and send stops to your device. No need to ever store routes on the device itself.

Now of course that does predicate you having phone access which today is fairly ubiquitous but it's not impossible that you have no access or your phone breaks or is stolen whilst on a trip or you might incur data/roaming charges as a result, so personally I think it would be nice to have the choice to pre-load as well.

Yes I know we technically have that ability now, but it is a bit of a faff!
  • abowenabowen Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hello, thanks for the comments. This is exactly what I was thinking about and that’s changing the way I think about routes. If I have access to them on my phone, perhaps this is enough to sync over the actual route (not track) for the day. Still not what quite what I was going for, but perhaps a workable solution. Thanks!
    Superusers
    edited June 2020
    Hi
    @Rob_R @abowen
    Rob_R wrote: »
    (Snip) I guess you are supposed to just use the "send stops" feature but as you again have correctly stated, you need to save each one to the device before sending the next so loading a bunch of them becomes a pain.
    To me I would like to see a "Sync as Route" option on MyDrive in addition to (not in place of - I like tracks as they have their uses) tracks.

if you already have your .ITN Routes stored on your PC or you use a 3rd party Route planner like the MyRoute App or Kurvier the Motorcycle route planner you can save the .ITN files to your PC

When you have your .ITN Routes Stored on your PC you can use the the Tomtom Easy Route Transfer to bulk transfer .ITN or .GPX file to your Rider 4xx or 5xx device ....

The NAV4/NAV5 (Wi-Fi) Rider 4xx & 5xx also have the "Easy route upload" option....
    My Rider 550
    g9esyvnu71d5.jpg
    The Rider 4xx/5xx will give you direct access to a small buffer/transfer area of the Rider 4xx/5xx Main Memory... You can also access your Micro SD Card, you can drag & drop your .ITN or .GPX route files directly to the Rider 4/5xx Memory buffer/transfer area or the Micro SD Memory card over a secure system
    NavCore Version 15.302
    Released on 3 July 2015
    This update applies to the Rider4xx/5xx
    With the "Easy route upload"... You can connect your TomTom Rider to your PC using a USB cable, then drag and drop your route files directly to and from your device’s memory using a file explorer program.....

The example below is my Rider 400... The Rider 550 uses the same "Easy route upload"
    (1)... Connect Your device via USB and this screen appears on the Rider 400
    c64613c2-b6ca-4088-a8c6-b2c72a2c765e.jpg
    (2)... Tap the Import route Icon and the Rider 400 connects to the secure "Easy route upload"
    185e7f17-03ea-4d08-9f20-aba2fc64aa84.jpg
    (3)... On your PC filing system you should see "Tomtom Rider 400" where you can drag and drop your route files directly into the Rider 400 main memory or the Micro SD Card
    33ce976f-93c9-4fc0-b9a3-60acf162b062.png
    (4)... If you haven't got a Memory card installed it only shows the Rider 400 Main memory
    f85105c8-9d58-41d8-9d25-0f7230a2be76.png
    (5)... Drag & drop your route files to the device or the Memory card
    d0e6ebb9-f0bc-4b56-b91a-5dda94b7b7c3.png
    (6)... When your done tap "Done"
    7b1aa1e6-2953-49e8-be7c-2158437bca5c.jpg
    Note...Mac OS X....
    TomTom Rider uses the USB Media Transfer Profile (MTP) for transferring routes. On a Mac you need to install a program that supports USB MTP, such as Android™ File Transfer.

Once the program is installed, connect your Rider 4xx/5xx to your Mac and select Import routes. This switches the device to MTP mode. Route files such as GPX and ITN can then be copied to the internal memory of your device or a memory card using the MTP program.

See Tomtom FAQ...http://au.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20584/~/how-do-i-transfer-tracks-and-routes-to-my-tomtom-rider-device

End

You can also use a Micro SD Card as a transfer medium
    To transfer a route to your NAV4/5 device using a Micro SD Memory Card.....
    Format your memory card on your PC to FAT32 format
    Copy your .GPX or .ITN route file to your Memory Card

My GO 5000 showing no routes installed.....

ca63324a-1f9d-4ae6-b84e-f924cfccf9f8.jpg
    Insert the SD Memory card into the Card Slot the device will recognise the Memory Card.....

ee41c992-7c40-4ad4-bd6f-e6a4c258fe3f.jpg
    fcbd0e45-8cba-4575-996a-6715a6c67744.jpg
    2f5dc2eb-de59-4977-a3ef-4de9a15b21f0.jpg
    6b9f6fba-2499-4670-97b5-854c143f3382.jpg
    14213df2-c56b-46ad-a0b6-0d0f7abe13eb.jpg
    Routes Transferred.....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Thank you for all your responses. I think I’m going to sell my Rider 550 and return to my previous GPS. Can anyone recommend a good site to sell a gently used motorcycle specific GPS? Thanks.
    Okay, before I bail on TomTom, is it possible in a synced track to say “skip this one” and simply begin/go to the next? Thanks!
    Superusers
    edited June 2020
    Hi
    @abowen
    I'm not quite sure what you mean ???
    If you mean... You are riding on a .GPX Track and then divert from the Track, can you cancel the Track... Then continue back to the original Track and finish of the remaining Track/Journey ???

Maybe....
    When you have diverted from the Track
    (1)... Cancel the .GPX Track
    (2)... Re-load & Calculate the .GPX Track
    (3)... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Current Track.... Ride to Track
    (4)... The device will plan the route from your Current location and join the .GPX Track at the nearest Access point from your Current location....

Note... You may not need to clear and restart the .GPX Track
    (1)... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Current Track.... Ride to Track
    (2)... The device will plan the route from your Current location and join the .GPX Track at the nearest Access point from your Current location....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM