Bluetooth connectivity issues for Wi-Fi devices and iOS 13 - Page 17 — TomTom Community

Bluetooth connectivity issues for Wi-Fi devices and iOS 13

Comments

• johnsondvrjohnsondvr Posts: 28 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    edited June 1
    Just tried this and it does appear to work even with repeated off and on of the device. We will see what the next few days bring.

Ta @Iburain

Might have spoken too soon as I am getting Bluetooth connection drop as before. See what the next few days bring although MyDrive still locks up repeatedly.
    @Iburain How is your set up working now? I am having the usual Bluetooth drops and that is with iOS 13.5.1 updated this morning.
  • IburainIburain Posts: 14 [Legendary Explorer]
    It is working, but I'll check again after the iOS update.
    I checked, @johnsondvr please verify that the personal hotspot is again on after the iOS update to make it work again. Mine was turned off.
  • Nigel ANigel A Posts: 100 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    I assume no one has hands free Bluetooth working properly? Am using Jures workaround for traffic, and have lost the will power to try anything else ! The rider is still not a bad unit for a Aldi no frills special......... Oh hang on I paid a lot mony for all those bells and whistles that don't work !
  • jatcojatco Posts: 90 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Well, it's still a hit or miss with connectivity and my GO620. Tried the work around and shows connected yet the traffic icon still doesn't appear, so basically this is just a basic gps. Haven't been happy with this unit since day 1. Slow response to any tap functions in menus, like the unit has to think about what to do... Its mediocre at best. Often, I'll just use Google maps. Even their directions I find, are often better. Disappointing TT. Fortunately, Im off the road for a while recouping so I dont need the frustrations from TT.
    @Iburain Hotspot on and been out for a ride today. Hit and miss connectivity again so going back to @jures workaround. Like @Nigel A, I am losing the will/interest. Support says it is all to do with ‘certification’ and apple but it seems to have been an awful long time for such an issue to have not been resolved. iOS 14 about to roll out so how much longer then?
    @johnsondvr Do you loose connection to TomTom servers only or between iPhone and TT? Dropped server connection is something I know well from Android before (cloud and traffic symbols crossed on TT display). But not where I'm driving right now, southern Germany. A phone connection lost message would remind me of background services energy saving on Android which afaik doesn't exist in this way on iOs. But that's just a guess.
    @Iburain
    Iburain wrote: »
    @johnsondvr Do you loose connection to TomTom servers only or between iPhone and TT? Dropped server connection is something I know well from Android before (cloud and traffic symbols crossed on TT display). But not where I'm driving right now, southern Germany. A phone connection lost message would remind me of background services energy saving on Android which afaik doesn't exist in this way on iOs. But that's just a guess.

Not a server problem but connection between iPhone and TT. You can see in the phone’s Bluetooth settings both TT connections disconnecting and reconnecting with the data connection being the most frequent. Same problem as before. Nothing has really changed for me unfortunately.
    @johnsondvr
    Due you see the blue top bar on the iPhone screen during normal operation, and does it dissapear while TT says connection lost?
    @Iburain The Blue Hotspot indication stays on but the individual connections in Bluetooth show connecting and disconnecting As mentioned before.
  • BeoboiinozBeoboiinoz Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    Yesterday I used my Go 620 in my car having left it idle for some time, given the same issues with MyDrive app and internet connectivity for traffic data.

I note that when I boot it up, it connects to my home Wifi and by bluetooth to my phone (IOS 13.5.1) and everything works perfectly - connected to traffic and internet etc

Given that the issue is the my drive app on the phone and the two bluetooth channels/connections - One for phone info and the other for data from the GPS to connect to the phone, and then to the internet via the phones 4g network I did the following.

Did not open MyDrive app. Used the iPhone to turn on/create a personal hotspot - which is a Wifi. Connected the GPS to that WiFi hotspot using the password etc and saved the connection.

Thus far everything works when I went on a shopping expedition for some 40k's including stops where I turned the GPS off, and then back on again when moving to the next destination.

The phone is connected to the GPS by 'normal' bluetooth. Hence I can use voice control on the GO620 to activate the phone, use Siri, send messages, bring up my contact list on the GO620 etc.

The GPS connects to the Wifi hotspot of the iPhone, which of course is connecting to the internet via 4g. Hence traffic data works as before, with the double bluetooth connection to the MyDrive app.

I guess this is similar to the method outlined earlier, but I did not wish to give myself another headache deleting and re-installing apps, so quickly tried this and it worked fine.

There is probably some features missing by not routing the data through the MyDrive app, but at least I have internet connection for the GO620 again, and all the traffic features work as they should which is the most important thing.

But really, the MyDrive app needs to be rebuilt and updated by TomTom to fix this issue.

Hope my experience helps in some way for a very frustrating issue.

Cheers :-)

@Beoboiinoz
    Intersting, maybe the issues are version dependent. I've a 520, can use the gps without and with the app without any issues after fixing as mentioned before. Maybe you guys can all note down for TomTom on which devices it's working and not.
    TomTom, when you read this: to takle down issues is actually not the job of your customers.
  • FC63FC63 Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    After 6-8 months no serieus reaction or action from TT.
  • jatcojatco Posts: 90 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Doubt there'll be any..
  • tantentanten Posts: 0 [Apprentice Seeker]
    At home with wifi, all the services are working correct. On the road in my car, with bluetooth everything works well, telephone, whats app messages, gps but not the TT traffice services. Hotspot is on , for tranfer the thetering ,but the connection from my iphone X to my G 620 works not and no message as error on the screen of the phone or device
  • FC63FC63 Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    I think TomTom don'tl ike to communicate with their customers.
  • Nigel ANigel A Posts: 100 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    There is another thread running "Rider 550 & iPhone XS Bluetooth Connectivity Problem" Tomtom have wiped their hands with the rider 520 and iphones. Tomtom will not communicate with anyone re the problems. I cant believe they are still trying to flog 520's to an unsuspecting public. disgraceful.
  • Hanshenrik1Hanshenrik1 Posts: 18 [Legendary Explorer]
    Why are TomTom not fixing the bluetooyh problem?
    Will not buy any tomtom devise any more.
  • MitoMito Posts: 7 [Master Traveler]
    Exact same problem here since upgrade iPhone to latest version 13, more than 6 months with no solution from TomTom.

In some EU countries (i.e. Spain) consumer laws protect us of purchasing a failing device or a device that does not meet specifications, as this is the case with Rider. This is called "misleading advertising".

If you bought a TomTom Rider 500 for that feature, I encourage you all to ask for a refund of your Rider device as a response to misleading advertising as it's not functioning as stated.

Also, if you are compromised with consumer rights, please recover as many proofs as possible: invoicing, advertising, screenshots of TomTom websites, support answers, videos,... to issue a consumer demand against TomTom through any official consumer office on your location and look for legal support from any local consumer association (i.e. Organización de Consumidores y Usuarios or FACUA in Spain).

TomTom: ask Volkswagen to know the power of consumer organisations.
    Why does Tom Tom not react .Is the company non excisting??
    Got in contact with TOMTOM chat.No solution on the traffic problem .I give up and deliver my go 500 back to the store.
    Contact to TomTom:Problem with bluetooh and traffic since iphone update.Working on the problem,
  • Mikey_AUMikey_AU Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    I recently thought I would take up the 30% off offer through TomTom and upgrade my aging TomTom Go 510 to the Supreme 6 and I am also facing these issues. The bluetooth will not stay connected. The wifi hotspot will not auto-connect on the next drive after initial connection (i think this is because bluetooth wont stay connected). When I get into the car I have to toggle the hotspot on the iphone and then it will connect. This is really sad. Was working fine on my old 510.
    Bluetotth and Traffic is still not working proberly.When will TomTom fix the problem?I doubt it will be fixed.My trust to TomTom is very low.