Rider 550 will not switch on — TomTom Community

Rider 550 will not switch on

SmalliSmalli Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
Hi, first post, hope you can help me.

My rider 550 is 16 months old, never had a problem before.
Switched on this week, placed on the bike and turned it off, not sleep, as I didn’t need it to begin with. 20 mins later it would not switch on. I have charged for well over 2 hours, then held start button down for over 2 mins.....nothing.
Customer services are closed. Can anyone here help please??
Many thanks.

Answers

• rider1riderrider1rider Posts: 127 [Exalted Navigator]
    can be a battery related problem. stat a chat with the customer service on monday.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 16,742 [Elite Vanguard]
    Hi
    @Smalli
    Welcome to the site....
    The Car NAV4 & NAV5 (Wi-fi) devices have a 2 hour Battery life/use....
    The Tomtom recommended charging time....
    At least 2Hours

The Rider 4xx & 5xx have a 6hour Battery life/use....
    It will take much longer than 2 hours to fully charge a Rider 4xx & 5xx battery

Tap the 4Dot (.... Menu) button... On the Menu Screen top right is a battery status Icon
    Charging... Displays when Connected to a Power supply
    368fa599-f465-4a45-9274-b2b29b56a6d1.jpg
    Full Charge... Displays when Connected or Not Connected Power supply
    ebebfcff-7cf3-43d5-9479-ef4b7f2a85ed.jpg
    Half Charge... Displays when NOT Connected Power supply
    5c45ac4c-1a65-45a0-9b3b-8b88879a94cc.jpg
    Low Battery... Displays when NOT Connected Power supply
    29b0c6f3-11f1-4d8f-9543-eef314472a31.jpg
    One of the worst things you can do to a Lithium battery is to run it flat so at a certain percentage of discharge (Unspecified)... The device will go into 'Power Saving Mode' the screen will dull, and the device will eventually turn itself off (Not Sleep)

There is a Battery Status display available on the devices Status Screen
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound Continue to hold the on/off button until the Black & White Status screen is shown.....
    c3623f43-813f-4ddf-9e35-af42824c5331.jpg
    If you are worrying about the device charging, you might consider one of these gadgets
    63a11bd6-9bcb-49ec-b71b-9223d7c334dd.jpgOr

b23e2fef-ffbf-4127-80b0-646533d6f987.jpg
    Simply plug the device into the USB socket and plug your lead into the USB Doctor, the device will display the Voltage and Power being used by your various USB devices
    I have one of each type they're only peanuts to buy, search Amazon/eBay for USB Doctor

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • SmalliSmalli Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    can be a battery related problem. stat a chat with the customer service on monday.
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @Smalli
    Welcome to the site....
    The Car NAV4 & NAV5 (Wi-fi) devices have a 2 hour Battery life/use....
    The Tomtom recommended charging time....
    At least 2Hours

The Rider 4xx & 5xx have a 6hour Battery life/use....
    It will take much longer than 2 hours to fully charge a Rider 4xx & 5xx battery

Tap the 4Dot (.... Menu) button... On the Menu Screen top right is a battery status Icon
    Charging... Displays when Connected to a Power supply
    368fa599-f465-4a45-9274-b2b29b56a6d1.jpg
    Full Charge... Displays when Connected or Not Connected Power supply
    ebebfcff-7cf3-43d5-9479-ef4b7f2a85ed.jpg
    Half Charge... Displays when NOT Connected Power supply
    5c45ac4c-1a65-45a0-9b3b-8b88879a94cc.jpg
    Low Battery... Displays when NOT Connected Power supply
    29b0c6f3-11f1-4d8f-9543-eef314472a31.jpg
    One of the worst things you can do to a Lithium battery is to run it flat so at a certain percentage of discharge (Unspecified)... The device will go into 'Power Saving Mode' the screen will dull, and the device will eventually turn itself off (Not Sleep)

There is a Battery Status display available on the devices Status Screen
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound Continue to hold the on/off button until the Black & White Status screen is shown.....
    c3623f43-813f-4ddf-9e35-af42824c5331.jpg
    If you are worrying about the device charging, you might consider one of these gadgets
    63a11bd6-9bcb-49ec-b71b-9223d7c334dd.jpgOr

b23e2fef-ffbf-4127-80b0-646533d6f987.jpg
    Simply plug the device into the USB socket and plug your lead into the USB Doctor, the device will display the Voltage and Power being used by your various USB devices
    I have one of each type they're only peanuts to buy, search Amazon/eBay for USB Doctor

Stay Safe... ATB YFM

Thank you very much for your help, very interesting. Problem I have is that it simply will not switch on at all. I had switched on, 5 mins later turned off, not sleep. The battery indicator was not showing red. After this it simply will not power up at all. Had on charge for about 5 hours last night, no change. Did notice it was warm to the touch though.
    I will try to contact TomTom via a chat session tomorrow, unless you have any other ideas.
    Again, thank you for your help.
    Best wishes,
    Graham.
  • SmalliSmalli Posts: 3 [New Seeker]

Ah, found out how to reply!
    Thanks, I will try the chat session tomorrow.
    Best wishes,
    Graham.