USB current out and IN to Go520 — TomTom Community

USB current out and IN to Go520

Usb contacts for cars have multiple connection points i.e. 1,0A, 2,1A, 2,4A and so on. Is it a mistake to use other than 1.0A and plug into your Tomtom?

Answers

• Rob_RRob_R Posts: 53 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    Hi - Short answer is no you won't damage your TomTom by plugging it into a USB charging point that has a rating of 2.4A because regardless of the capacity of the charging point, it will only supply 5V which is what a USB powered device is expecting to see.

USB chargers and/or connection points can have different current ratings but they all supply 5V and that is the key point.

Devices draw different amounts of current depending upon how much power they need to consume.

The voltage is the important thing because if you connect a device that is expecting 5V directly to, say a 12V battery, you will damage the device because the higher voltage will drive more current through the device than it was designed to take.

Connecting to a lower voltage generally wont harm it but it probably wont work either because insufficient voltage will not drive enough current through the device.

When a charger or charging point specifies a current rating it is defining the maximum amount of current it can supply. My Rider 550 for example, draws around a max of 0.5A when connected to a USB port and typically draws around 0.3A in a steady state. What that is telling me is that if I have a USB charger rated @ 1A I could probably power two Rider 550s off of the same charging point at the same time but it might be marginal because I would be drawing almost as much current as the charging point can supply (up to 0.5A per device) but if it was a 1.5A charging point then it would easily do two Rider 550s.

So dont worry, as long as it is a USB power supply, you wont damage any USB device. The only thing that can happen is that if you plug a device into a low capacity charger and the device needs more current than the charger can supply, the device wont work.

Generally speaking the higher capacity chargers have been created to allow some devices, that have been designed to do so, to charge a lot faster e.g. smart phones.
  • bigbig Posts: 1,623 Superuser
    edited May 27
    Also note TomTom devices are pretty power hungry so make sure you use higher capacity points. Ideally, use the charger which came with it, if possible.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 16,798 [Elite Vanguard]
    edited May 27
    Hi
    @bjornarpet
    The Previous NAV4 and Latest (NAV5 WiFi) devices are quite power hungry and can go into "Power saving mode" if not supplied with enough power
    Are you using the Tomtom supplied cable and Tomtom supplied Power Adapter
    The Charger Adaptor and USB Cable supplied by Tomtom WILL run and charge the device at the same time

Many 3rd party Mismatched Charger Adaptors won't run and charge the device at the same time
    See... It's not simply a power thing.....
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1182024/#Comment_1182024

When the device is In use they are designed to be always connected to a power supply
    The Tomtom supplied Power Adapter is rated at 5Volts 1.2Amps
    Even after you have recharged the device externally via a mains charger, when in use in the vehicle, they will still require being connected to a Tomtom supplied Power Adapter (Or a proven suitable 3rd party Power adapter)

(1)... Do NOT attach them to a dashboard USB port in your vehicle as they normally only supply 500mAmp (0.5Amp) and are for data transfer and not supplying power: See... Note (1) & (2)

(2)... Using a NONE Tomtom 3rd party underpowered or a mismatched cigarette lighter charger can cause the device to go into Power Saving Mode: See... Note (1)

(3)... On the Models with a built-in SIM, the reduction of power to the SIM can cause the dropping of the traffic info: Note (3)

Note (1)... At an (Undisclosed) percentage of battery discharge, the device will try to save its power requirements by dimming the screen and eventually powers off the device... Devices with a built-in SIM Card may also lose Live Traffic services
    Note (2)... A dashboard USB port can also fool a NAV4 Device into entering 'Updating Mode' and display the Connected to your Computer splash screen
    Note (3)... I tried connecting my Tomtom GO 6200 to my Cars USB port, checked the connection status it reports 'Connected over USB' --> 'GPRS (SIM) Disconnected'

ATB YFM