My device is plugged in to my laptop and is charging, but my laptop doesn't recognise or pick it up — TomTom Community

My device is plugged in to my laptop and is charging, but my laptop doesn't recognise or pick it up

I have recently moved house and since moving, my device can no longer be picked up on my PC or laptop. I have tried accessing my computer settings to try to get on to device manager and network adapters, but that doesn't work either.

Answers

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,101 Superusers
    Is there any damage to the pins in the charger or the contacts on the watch? If any of the pins are bent or deformed straighten them out with a pin and make sure the contacts on the back of the watch are free of tarnish or grime. Also make sure it is fully snapped into the cradle.
  • PaulHardy92PaulHardy92 Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    Thanks for your reply. I have looked at the pins previously and they seem okay but will give this another try. The strange thing is that it is still charging fine.
    2 pins are for charging and 2 are for data transfer so it is possible to charge without syncing. Are you getting any error messages when you plug the watch in or is it being recognized at all? Does the clock face change to a battery charging icon (which indicates it is getting power so there is a partial connection)? A few things to look at (and I apologize if some are very basic, but it is best to get past the obvious issues first):

1) Are you plugged directly into the machine and not a hub?
    2) Does the port work, can the computer detect other devices (like flash drives) in that port?
    3) Is the watch firmly snapped into the cradle and the USB plug firmly in the port?
    4) Is the USB port free of any debris or blockages?
    5) Is the Connect software running (is there an icon for it in the notification area)?
    6) Did you install Sports Connect, not MyDrive Connect? It is downloaded from tomtom.com/123
    7) Do you have administrator rights to the computer?
    8) Is a firewall or antivirus running that is blocking the software from connecting to TomTom (try turning them off before docking the watch)?
    9) Does the computer have a good Internet connection (Internet is required to sync)?
    10) Can you try installing it on a different machine to determine if it is an issue with the computer versus the watch?
  • Frankie11235Frankie11235 Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    I have exactly the same issue. I have two different connection cables and both are charging but not uploading the activity. Do you know which ones are for charging and which are the connection because I have one pin damaged. Thanks
    I believe the outside are charging and inside are data. If the pin is damaged, you can use a pin to straighten it out. Also make sure the contacts on the watch are also clean and free of grime. You can clean them with an eraser.
  • busiabusia Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    no damage to pins on charging port, watch clean, any other ideas? I cannot get my new (refurbished) Spark 3 info to come up in my account or figure out how to add it to account I already have. original TomTOm watch died and get a replacement but now can't get data into computer
    busia wrote: »
    no damage to pins on charging port, watch clean, any other ideas? I cannot get my new (refurbished) Spark 3 info to come up in my account or figure out how to add it to account I already have. original TomTOm watch died and get a replacement but now can't get data into computer

Did you factory reset it and then register it under the same email as your previous device?