Unknown SatNav support website (Scam?) - Page 2 — TomTom Community

Unknown SatNav support website (Scam?)

2»

Comments

• Trev_1953Trev_1953 Posts: 2 [Novice Seeker]
    Hi All,
    Yes it happened to conned me to buy a fake 3 year contract of Webroot. Therefore pirated. The company I was fooled into believing are 'Sat Nav Maps UK'.
    but can be contacted on 0121 364 4080. Supposedly in Birmingham.
    Action Fraud provide me with a ref and now trying retrieve money from bank Retail Dispute as a product that does not work.
    Wish me luck.
  • pja1_dja2pja1_dja2 Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    with my start 25 connected to the computer i tried to update my maps. However nothing much happened until the chat icon appeared for help. I straight away accessed this and was told i needed to pay for future updates. I paid £65.99 for 3 years updates. I assumed that the lifetime updates on the device was now over as the device was old and not supported. This was a mistake and this was a scam.
    Surely tomtom sofware should be robust enough to prevent this nasty intrusion. I feel that tomtom should be liable for the £65.99.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,458
    Superusers
    edited September 16
    Hi
    @pja1_dja2
    Welcome to the site....
    pja1_dja2 wrote: »
    (Snip) I feel that TomTom should be liable for the £65.99.
    I'm sorry to see you have been scammed, but I don't see how Tomtom can be held responsible for YOUR mistake....
    As the old saying goes... Caveat emptor, quia ignorare non debuit quod jus alienum emit ("Let a purchaser beware, for he ought not to be ignorant of the nature of the property which he is buying from another party.")

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • pja1_dja2pja1_dja2 Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    I STARTED THE UPDATE ON MY COMPUTER THROUGH THE TOMTOM ICON.
    AFTER SOME DIFFICULTY WITH A MAP UPDATE, THE CHAT LINK APPEARED. WHICH ADVISED ME I NEED TO SPEND £65.99 FOR 3 YEARS UPDATE. TOMTOM ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS SCAM AS I WAS USING THEIR SOFTWARE AT THE TIME.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,138
    Superuser
    Hi @pja1_dja2

What Tomtom Icon on which website or software.

There is no facility on the genuine Tomtom website whereby a Chat Link just pops up if things are not going correctly either on the Website or whilst using the My Drive Connect Software. If there was then many would not be coming on here to ask how to contact Tomtom. You have to go searching for the facility to contact Customer Support if you are having any problems.

Doug.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,458
    Superusers
    edited September 17
    Hi
    @pja1_dja2
    I still think you were on a Scam lookalike Tomtom website right from the very start....
    The Scam websites are visually very professional and are remarkably convincing....
    The Phone call or Chat line is where you get first get suckered in... then the Support Service person (Scammer) rings you to completes the Scam....
    PS....
    Check your Caps/Lock key it appears to be stuck in the on position
    ;)

Stay Safe... ATB YFM