New TomTom GO Navigation App (Android)

Comments

• ItsMikeEItsMikeE Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Is it a phased roll-out?
    Not seeing an update yet
  • Andy_BushmanAndy_Bushman Posts: 9 [Master Explorer]
    So on some roads it is not showing speed limits. Will log with TomTom
  • fjrnorfjrnor Posts: 9 [Master Explorer]
    After last release 2.1.0 I cannot find any option to save a new route. I can generate an active route, but there is now way of saving it to my routes (all on the android phone, I know my drive sync is not working for now).

The other thing I find very little intuitive (not only this release) is when planning a route, the options you get when selecting a point. When selecting a point or place, you should ALWAYS get these options:

Set as start point
    Set as final destination
    Set as a stop
    Set as drive through (via point).

This would have make the route planning A LOT easier.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,558
    Superuser
    Hi @fjrnor

The latest Android version does not have the My Routes option so you cannot save too it or download your previous routes.. The new Apps maps are a different format and not compatible with the old ones so Tomtom are working on resolving the compatibility issue so that they restore that facility.

Doug
    edited May 17
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @fjrnor

The latest Android version does not have the My Routes option so you cannot save too it or download your previous routes.. The new Apps maps are a different format and not compatible with the old ones so Tomtom are working on resolving the compatibility issue so that they restore that facility.

Doug

I am not talking about MyDrive, I know it does not sync, but there is a My routes menu on the phone app. I am talking about saving a route on the phone, not the web, not any sync. I did that prior to the latest release, please read my post once more. The routes I created before this release is still there and can be used. The routes on MyDrive is of course not present on my phone.
  • SurreyAlan1SurreyAlan1 Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
    Another moan here about disappearance of poi's. If search worked then I could manage but searching for National Trust doesn't bring up the closest and one of the largest properties in the south, Polesdon Lacey. It misses out many others. Searching for RSPB sites is a bit better but poi's listed in order of distance, these are all over the place. If these new maps really can't deal with ov2 don't you just write a converter program to change into what the maps do understand. If that's a no no most poi's are available as csv, surely any programmer can read those in, the most basic of structures.
    I've been a customer for maybe 20 years and I'm sure we've had the issue of poi's not working as Tom Tom updated products in the past. It always caused a fuss, is there no continuity at TT does no one remember what went before and learn from past experiences.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,558
    Superuser
    Hi @fjrnor

Not having the current version do you not have an option under Current Route to save to My Routes.

Doug
    Doug,

Save changes to current route is grayed out in version 2.1.0. Either it is disabled or I am doing something wrong, but I have done this in the prior release.
  • lampardlampard Posts: 4,989 Moderator
    Hi there,

We have now started proceeding with the rollout to the new GO Navigation app using build 2.1.0

This update contains theme colors, updating maps with a single button, and showing alternative routes when planning with bug fixes, and improvements. We'll be monitoring and updating the roll-out based on feedback and crashes

@fjrnor Route can be saved by accessing the route context menu. You have to tap on an active route tube. Option for saving changes to the route is disabled, until you do some changes to the route, for instance, add a waypoint.

Regards, lampard
  • SimbruSimbru Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    How do the quickfix gps works on Android car go system
    edited May 18
    Lampard, thanks for your reply, any comments to my suggestion about point select options in the above post:

"... When selecting a point or place, you should ALWAYS get these options:

Set as start point
    Set as final destination
    Set as a stop
    Set as drive through (via point)."

This would add a lot more flexibility during planning a route. Planning a route for a future holliday trip (for instance) is not always straight forward.
  • FamingFaming Posts: 11 [Master Explorer]
    Here are some of my thoughts on the new version 2.1.0 and some older issues.
    (Note: I am using the Dutch version, so I may not have all namings correct.)

* App frequently hangs on startup at the startup screen. I have to wait for the "no response" notification, end the app and restart. I am running on Samsung Galaxy A70, android 10.
    * Map selection is greatly improved as smaller chunks can be selected and selections are cross navigatable. But it is textual only, you really need to know your geography to select the right (parts of) countries for any desired route. It would be nice if selections could be made by tapping on a world map. (There is one build in, almost as an eastern egg; just keep zooming out and be surprised when going all the way...)
    It would at least be desirable to have the loaded maps (slightly) different colored.
    When not all maps are loaded between start and end of a route, best case is a warning no route is available. Worst case is a not efficient route. E.g. from Netherlands to Poland when all but Germany Northwest, East and West loaded, a route is created via Belgium, Germany Southwest and Southeast, and Czech Rep. without any indication of the detour. Even on the map it shows ligit; who is to tell not all necessarry maps are loaded..?
    It would be nice if the app would suggest which maps to download for a certain route.
    * There is no indication of the (total) size of the selected maps for downloading.
    * There is no longer a progress indication in the android notification area of the map download.
    * It is still not possible to manually select the memory for storage: main memory or SD card.
    * Please re-install the "Add to My routes" button in the "My routes" menu. Acces via the active route context menu is cumbersome, inconsistent with the new "Save changes to My route" button and not documented.
    * Please re-install the volume slider and day/night switch in the main menu.
    * Please re-install the disable 3-D buildings setting. Not because of system load, but because they obscure the map and active route and distract from the relevant information. There functionality is non-existent.
    * I find the new info blocks a bit messy and the "floating" lane arrows somewhat obscure. The old semi-transparent top bar looked better.
    * The map colors have become overall somewhat faded. The old versions had them more vibrant and made the map easier to interpret. Also road issues are less clear colored. And the slow traffic indication is no longer animated, that was a neat feature!
    * Please make it possible to remove the report mobile speed camera button in the lower navigation bar. It is even there when all speed camera options are disabled in the menu.
    * I have to zoom in a lot more now than in previous versions to have my contacts pop-up on the map. Way more than my favorites and POI's. This makes it a lot harder now to find and tap a contact as destination.
    * Assigning a contact to Home or Work does not work as expected: e.g. from the "Add Work" selection (when not yet set) in the My places menu, select Search , then Contacts, select a contact from the list. All options appear as if you are selecting for navigation, but no "Set work location". Instead you must tap (....), then Add place, then type "Work" in the address bar, and then leave the setup altogether.
    * Trying to navigation to a picture with GPS info from the "My places" menu gives error report: "image has no geo-tag". The otherway round with exact same picture does work: select picture in Gallery app, select "Show in map", choose Tom Tom Go and yes, it works!
    * The options Home, Work and Recent destinations are totally redundant in the My places menu as they are already in the main menu. In the My places menu they take up a lot of space above the actual favorites. They are unnecessary and invoke needless scrolling.
    * In older versions when syncing via the cloud, the stopovers of an active route are not transferred, just the final destination. Also saved routes in My routes are not transfered. I do not know if version 2.1.0 supports any of this; I have not been able to try out (yet).
    * It would be nice if you could navigate to the nearest location of a saved route, or at least the closest stopover in the direction of the end point (not just to the start point of that route) and commencing the remainder of that route from there. If you e.g. make a stop halfway, do some local navigation and reload the saved route, you are now first send back to the beginning! (This is real life experience.)
  • MJJBMJJB Posts: 11 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks for the detailed and descriptive analysis Faming
  • KomarekKomarek Posts: 17 [Outstanding Explorer]
    lampard wrote: »
    We have now started proceeding with the rollout to the new GO Navigation app using build 2.1.0

Which countries?

tapatalked
    verstuurd vanaf mijn oneplus

• MJJBMJJB Posts: 11 [Apprentice Traveler]

Komarek wrote: »

Which countries?

tapatalked
    verstuurd vanaf mijn oneplus

voafs7kcbvdv.png
  • JvdZJvdZ Posts: 77 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    It isn't per country but rather a general staggered rollout based on feedback as indicated a couple of times by @lampard. This was the latest statement:
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1705507#Comment_1705507
    In addition to my previous post, I checked the sync feature.
    Alas syncing of routes and stopovers is not implemented. Even worse: the syncing of any active destination seems to have been removed!
    I use a build-in Android car kit (way better than the hassle with cables and phone holders), but do like to plan my journey in advance on my tablet or phone.
    It was so nice: just jump in the car, start driving and the destination was picked up automatically.
    GOLDEN RULE: Do not remove or alter features, especially after a long time when users are used to it; make it configurable!
    BTW: Saved routes cannot be renamed nor re-ordered. They just appear in order of creation (latest on top). In contrast My places are ordered alphabetically. Please make it possible to order routes.
  • petakpetak Posts: 24 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Hi there,

This update contains theme colors, updating maps with a single button, and showing alternative routes when planning with bug fixes, and improvements. ...

Does it have MyRoutes syncing or theme colours are deemed more important?
  • AlexvdhAlexvdh Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Here are some of my thoughts on the new version 2.1.1:
    - had a few crashes, but did not test the latest version a lot yet. But I'm quite satisfied so far.
    - I hope they add the volume slider soon. I really miss it. I use the speaker instead of my carkit, so it is not interrupting Spotify all the time. The volume buttons are used for the carkit media volume. With the old version I could change the TomTom volume with the slider.
    - please add a force map to SD card storage.
    edited June 5
    Hope was high that version 2.X.X would fix the long lasting voice problem. But unfortunately as of version 2.1.1 it still has not.

The problem is well known: recorded voices don't complete the sentences and computer voices are completely garbled incomprehensible sound bites. It has been reported as fixed, but it is still not for all devices.

I think I know where the problem lies:
    - version 1.17.1 introduces the channel selection for audio output
    - as of this version the problem emerges; for all versions up till 1.16.1 both voice types work fine; at least on my device (so I kept to this version as long as possible)
    - my device has a dedicated navi-channel which is automatically selected for a running navigation app (the volume of any other source is temporarily lowered during any audio of the navi-app, and the volume controls temporarily change to the navi-channel at that moment)
    - it does not matter which channel is selected in the TomTom Go app, audio will always go through the navi-channel regardless, but it is truncated or garbled as described above

CONCLUSION
    - the "new" audio channel selection as from version 1.17.1 (or any other coinciding audio change) is incompatible with devices supporting a navigation audio channel override
    (EASY) SOLUTION:
    - just add the audio driver from version 1.16.1 back-in into future versions and make it selectable as e.g. "legacy" in the Audio-output setting, please please please
  • Andy_BushmanAndy_Bushman Posts: 9 [Master Explorer]
    Feedback on latest version. I get freezing on startup sometimes.

Clicking on a contact poi does not always work, and other times. I was navigating to about 10 contacts and it worked about 50% of the time.
  • Chris_SavChris_Sav Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Still on 1.18.1 here, when might I expect the update please?
  • petakpetak Posts: 24 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Chris_Sav wrote: »

Do you really want to update after everything you've read above for the new (2.x) version :-)))
  • RonaldM01RonaldM01 Posts: 11 [Legendary Explorer]
    edited June 15
    petak wrote: »
    Do you really want to update after everything you've read above for the new (2.x) version :-)))
    Call me stubborn but I have downloaded 2.1.1 from apk mirror two weeks ago. Taking a risk downloading this illegally (malware), all comments about the new version and my very good experience with TomTom made me curious. I have been using it as daily driver and I can not find any issues with it. Graphics and colors are nice and clear. Responsiveness is fine, and most importantly it brings me where I want to go. All previous settings and favorites where migrated. Hope there is a moment to officially download it. I am not really a fan of using apk files this way.

• Chris_SavChris_Sav Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    petak wrote: »
    Chris_Sav wrote: »

Yes, because I would rather get familiar with version 2 and whatever frailties before I start driving long distances again and get a nasty surprise
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online in this Category0