Tom Tom Go Premium X — TomTom Community

Tom Tom Go Premium X

Hi....received a new TomTom Go Premium X yesterday. Plugged it in to charge and was requested to install essential updates. 16 hours on and the device is only showing 52% downloaded which is ridiculous. There is not a problem with my WIFI connection, has anybody else experienced this problem? Will be ringing Customer Services shortly, hardly the premium service it promises!!

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 16,798 [Elite Vanguard]
    edited July 2019
    Hi

How Fast/Slow/Good/Bad is your Wi-Fi internet Connection... See Below

The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices normally update using Wi-Fi...

TomTom Video... Updating your navigation device using Wi-Fi®

If you have successfully connected your device to your Wi-Fi....
    To check your Connection Speed, Signal Strength & Quality
    On the Device... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on the Your Wi-fi name (The one Showing as connected)
    A new Menu Page opens

7g8gwfpx1swt.jpg
    On the left-hand side of the screen is your Wi-Fi Connection Status

Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Tomtom NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices will only connect to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network
    All the update actions are executed on the device...

If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    See Option... (2) Connect over USB

Option... (1) Connected Wi-Fi
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

I always update my devices one Update at a time
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are force ticked by Tomtom... De-select any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items one at a time
    This will help to prevent a Log-Jam effect on the Tomtom Servers if something go wrong with one of the updates....

Note... NAV(5 Wifi) devices connected over Wifi do not require MyDrive Connect to be running Even if myDrive is running you have no access the MyDrive Connect menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices

Option... (2) Connected USB
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Updating your new NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device over USB will require "MyDrive Connect"
    Get it here.....
    www.tomtom.com/getstarted
    Run MyDrive Connect.....
    Note... The NAV(5 Wifi) devices have no access the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices
    Connect your Device to a USB Port on your PC
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device using USB is the same as using Wi-Fi, all of the update actions are executed on the device...
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

Note... MyDrive Connect will only show a "Splash screen" saying "Connect your device using Wifi" etc
    If required you can close the 'Main Mydrive Window' showing the "Connect your device using Wifi" Splash screen... MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC TaskBar

27bxc59f2s23.png
    ATB YFM
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 4,788 [Elite Voyager]
    Hi @Chestergirl

As it was a new unit I assume there were a number of updates. It is recommended that you do updates one item at a time. You should do Software updates first followed by voices and new items then map updates and then map share.

When you have finished the updating it is suggested you do a Soft Reset which is with the unit on and working press the On/Off button for about 20 seconds until you hear the drumroll sound the let the button go. The unit reboots and is ready to use.

Doug
  • ChestergirlChestergirl Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks....I've contacted customer support and they think there is an issue with the device! Just waiting for them to get back to me as they suggested I exchange the device! I'll see what happens and if necessary try your suggestions!
    edited July 2019
    Hi
    @Chestergirl

Like Doug says
    Did you install multiple updates all at the same time ???

I always update my devices one Update at a time
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are force ticked by Tomtom... De-select any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items one at a time
    This will help to prevent a Log-Jam effect on the Tomtom Servers if something go wrong with one of the updates... The Server only has to wait for one update file to Time-Out

Or were you connected....
    Go Premium X ----> Wi-Fi to PC/Laptop ----> Wi-Fi Router
    Instead of....
    Go Premium X ----> Wi-Fi Router

Europe map v1030 update....
    Here....
    (1)... I'm using a Win10 PC hardwired to Modem Virgin Media 110 Mb/s
    (2)... PC Connects to the Home Wi-Fi at 40 Mb/s
    (3)... The GO 6200 direct Wi-Fi connection to the Modem is 72MB/s

I updated the Full Europe map v1030size 9GB +
    Oviously for me, updating the GO 6200 over USB with MyDrive connect running in the background is the Faster option....
    NAV5 (Wi-Fi) Devices update on the fly i.e... No Download/Upload/Install

I'm happy with an 9GB+ Map update in 23Mins 24secs (Stopwatch)

ATB YFM
  • bigbig Posts: 1,623 Superuser
    edited July 2019
    Thanks....I've contacted customer support and they think there is an issue with the device!
    Highly doubt that! (Not to say it's not possible, but this is a common problem and it's seldom due to the device.)
  • kingjohn6200kingjohn6200 Posts: 122 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    edited July 2019
    tomtom servers are VERY slow, I have a 100Mb broadband connection, and 2000Gb local wi fi system, but the tomtom dont use half of whats available, old outdated 2.4Gb wifi band, very slow interface, it takes forever on map updates
    edited August 2019
    Hi

72 Mbps is reasonable over a 2.4Gb Wi-Fi band....
    7g8gwfpx1swt.jpg
    ATB YFM
  • mylomylomylomylo Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Just use the USB connection to your PC.. mine also times out every 20% downloaded. No issue with my broadband. Also downloaded much faster.
  • mylomylomylomylo Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Frustrates me beyond belief that you need to be a techie to use a modern device. I have tried to support TT over the years but they don't help themselves.
  • itiseyeitiseye Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    My TT Go Premium X wont charge when connected to my desktop Win.10
    computer. It says in the manual that it should charge.
    Does it make any difference if satnav is turned -on, or -off ?
    Mine doesn't seem to make any difference.
    All I keep getting is the low battery beeps, then it turns itself off.
    Has anyone had this problem before ?.
    edited May 7
    Hi
    @itiseye
    Welcome to the site...
    Are your USB ports set for power saving "USB Selective Suspend"

Win10 See… https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/73187-turn-off-usb-selective-suspend-windows-10-a.html
    Click on link and scroll down to "Turn Off USB Selective Suspend"

Also turn off any Screen savers any other Power savers or USB port monitoring software installed

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Hi
    @itiseye
    The Previous NAV4 and Latest (NAV5 WiFi) devices are quite power hungry and can go into "Power saving mode" if not supplied with enough power
    Are you using the Tomtom supplied cable and Tomtom supplied Power Adapter
    The Charger Adaptor and USB Cable supplied by Tomtom WILL run and charge the device at the same time

Many 3rd party Mismatched Charger Adaptors won't run and charge the device at the same time
    See... It's not simply a power thing.....
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1182024/#Comment_1182024

When the device is In use they are designed to be always connected to a power supply
    The Tomtom supplied Power Adapter is rated at 5Volts 1.2Amps
    Even after you have recharged the device externally via a mains charger, when in use in the vehicle, they will still require being connected to a Tomtom supplied Power Adapter (Or a proven suitable 3rd party Power adapter)

(1)... Do NOT attach them to a dashboard USB port in your vehicle as they normally only supply 500mAmp (0.5Amp) and are for data transfer and not supplying power: See... Note (1) & (2)

(2)... Using a NONE Tomtom 3rd party underpowered or a mismatched cigarette lighter charger can cause the device to go into Power Saving Mode: See... Note (1)

(3)... On the Models with a built-in SIM, the reduction of power to the SIM can cause the dropping of the traffic info: Note (3)

Note (1)... At an (Undisclosed) percentage of battery discharge, the device will try to save its power requirements by dimming the screen and eventually powers off the device... Devices with a built-in SIM Card may also lose Live Traffic services
    Note (2)... A dashboard USB port can also fool a NAV4 Device into entering 'Updating Mode' and display the Connected to your Computer splash screen
    Note (3)... I tried connecting my Tomtom GO 6200 to my Cars USB port, checked the connection status it reports 'Connected over USB' --> 'GPRS (SIM) Disconnected'

ATB YFM
    Hi YazFazMan, Thanks for your reply, I only found it yesterday (Sun 7th)
    so it's going to take me some time to fight my way through all your advice.
    The accessories which came with it,--; USB cable, & Dual Port Car Charger, are all I use.
    I forgot to say prev, that when connected up in the car (via cigarette lighter), the Go Premium X does charge, it's only when I connect to Desktop via USB cable to USB port on desktop, to update it, that the battery goes flat. Hence I don't think desktop is charging.
    It's criminal that TT have skimped to save a penny, and omitted a charging light. Even the basic TT one had that.
    So to sum up it all points to the USB Port on my Desktop. I'm a bit dubious about going into this USB selective suspend, as it's all new to me, but when time permits I will have a go.
    Thanks again YFM.
  • dmulvdmulv Posts: 666 Superuser
    As YamFazMan mentions, the TomTom Go devices are very power hungry, and the typical USB port on a desktop or laptop simply can't supply enough juice. You'll just be discharging your TomTom at a slower rate :)

Outside of using the 12v adapter supplied by TomTom, your only other realistic option would be a USB mains charger which is rated at 1.2A.
    Hi
    @itiseye

Tap the 4Dot (.... Menu) button... On the Menu Screen top right is a battery status Icon
    Charging... Displays when Connected to a Power supply
    368fa599-f465-4a45-9274-b2b29b56a6d1.jpg
    Full Charge... Displays when Connected or Not Connected Power supply
    ebebfcff-7cf3-43d5-9479-ef4b7f2a85ed.jpg
    Half Charge... Displays when NOT Connected Power supply
    5c45ac4c-1a65-45a0-9b3b-8b88879a94cc.jpg
    Low Battery... Displays when NOT Connected Power supply
    29b0c6f3-11f1-4d8f-9543-eef314472a31.jpg
    One of the worst things you can do to a Lithium battery is to run it flat so at a certain percentage of discharge (Unspecified)... The device will go into 'Power Saving Mode' the screen will dull, and the device will eventually turn itself off (Not Sleep)

There is a Battery Status display available on the devices Status Screen
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound Continue to hold the on/off button until the Black & White Status screen is shown.....
    c3623f43-813f-4ddf-9e35-af42824c5331.jpg
    If you are worrying about the device charging, you might consider one of these gadgets
    63a11bd6-9bcb-49ec-b71b-9223d7c334dd.jpgOr

b23e2fef-ffbf-4127-80b0-646533d6f987.jpg
    Simply plug the device into the USB socket and plug your lead into the USB Doctor, the device will display the Voltage and Power being used by your various USB devices
    I have one of each type they're only peanuts to buy, search Amazon/eBay for USB Doctor

ATB YFM
    edited May 14
    Hi dmulv and YazFazMan
    Thank you both very much for your replies, the info was very helpfull.
    Thinking the desktop would supply enough power ,to charge up the GO Premium X, while doing updates, was my big mistake, plus I hadn't realised there were different battery icons to indicate states of charge.(would still like a warning indicator light as well ) I might also invest in one of those Power Doctors.
    So, you have both been a great help, thank you very much.
    itiseye.
    edited May 15
    Hi
    @itiseye

You're welcome, glad you're sorted :)
    Also Check....
    Are your USB ports set for power saving "USB Selective Suspend"

Win7 See... http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/147369-usb-selective-suspend-turn-off.html

Win10 See… https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/73187-turn-off-usb-selective-suspend-windows-10-a.html

Stay Safe... ATB YFM