Why doesnt Rider 550 appear as a device on Galaxy S7 to transfer gpx files by bluetooth? — TomTom Community

Why doesnt Rider 550 appear as a device on Galaxy S7 to transfer gpx files by bluetooth?

SomersetBoySomersetBoy Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
Hi
I have a Rider 550 and paired it according to instructions with my Galaxy S7. Both are up to date with operating systems and latest version of the app. Rider appears on my phone as paired "input device". However when trying to upload a track from the phone to the Rider as per the official TomTom video the Rider does not appear as a device I can Bluetooth the file across to. Other devices do appear
I have tried everything I can think of including reseting the Rider, switching on scanning for nearby devices on the phone, pairing manually without using the scanning feature but nothing makes it work. I can transfer the tracks to other devices such as other phones and laptops and they are correctly received and work fine.
Has anyone got any ideas for a fix?

Justin

Answers

• RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 553 [Revered Pioneer]
    The Rider 5x0 doesn't have the Bluetooth option to import and export routes like the older Ride 4x0 series.

You can use MyDrive web to sync Routes as Track.

Or a USB cable to import routes.
  • DBC58DBC58 Posts: 28 [Master Explorer]
    Hi
    I have a Rider 550 and paired it according to instructions with my Galaxy S7. Both are up to date with operating systems and latest version of the app. Rider appears on my phone as paired "input device". However when trying to upload a track from the phone to the Rider as per the official TomTom video the Rider does not appear as a device I can Bluetooth the file across to. Other devices do appear
    I have tried everything I can think of including reseting the Rider, switching on scanning for nearby devices on the phone, pairing manually without using the scanning feature but nothing makes it work. I can transfer the tracks to other devices such as other phones and laptops and they are correctly received and work fine.

Justin

I've been using a Chromebook and Android phone to transfer gpx and int files from both devices via usb cable to my 550.

When you connect the usb cable (with 550 powered ON) a screen will come up on the gps indicating "Connected to your computer". Select "Import Routes" and you will be able to use the file manager on your device to copy and paste the gpx or int file to the 550's memory. Select "Done" on the gps screen, select the file you wish to import and select "Import".

If my gps does not have WiFi access, I can download files from MyDrive to my phone using the Chrome web browser. In MyDrive select "Route" + "Share" and there is an option to download the gpx file. Then I transfer to my gps using usb cable.

The TomTom MyDrive android app does not have the above file download capability. You have to use a web browser and log into MyDrive for that function.

I'm guessing files downloaded as described above are gpx 1.1 containing route and track information. Because when I import 1 of these files to the 550 I end up with two tracks in "My Routes" , Track X, and Track X (2).

Looks like the TomTom gps interprets the Route information in the file as Track X and the Track information in the same file as Track X (2). Appears that Track X (2) is the actual Track.

Unfortunately MyDrive does not support itn file downloads which boggles my mind. MyRouteApp does support itn file downloads so I transfer these files to my gps same as described above.
  • JoelS.JoelS. Posts: 317 [Exalted Navigator]
    DBC58 wrote: »
    Hi

Justin

I've been using a Chromebook and Android phone to transfer gpx and int files from both devices via usb cable to my 550.

When you connect the usb cable (with 550 powered ON) a screen will come up on the gps indicating "Connected to your computer". Select "Import Routes" and you will be able to use the file manager on your device to copy and paste the gpx or int file to the 550's memory. Select "Done" on the gps screen, select the file you wish to import and select "Import".

If my gps does not have WiFi access, I can download files from MyDrive to my phone using the Chrome web browser. In MyDrive select "Route" + "Share" and there is an option to download the gpx file. Then I transfer to my gps using usb cable.

The TomTom MyDrive android app does not have the above file download capability. You have to use a web browser and log into MyDrive for that function.

I'm guessing files downloaded as described above are gpx 1.1 containing route and track information. Because when I import 1 of these files to the 550 I end up with two tracks in "My Routes" , Track X, and Track X (2).

Looks like the TomTom gps interprets the Route information in the file as Track X and the Track information in the same file as Track X (2). Appears that Track X (2) is the actual Track.

Unfortunately MyDrive does not support itn file downloads which boggles my mind. MyRouteApp does support itn file downloads so I transfer these files to my gps same as described above.

what adapter, or how do you connect it to the phone ??
    my s9 has a usb C, my tablet, micro usb...

i use bluetooth alot for importing "paths i would like to travel" if i can get this working, it might not be terrible vs bluetooth shooting it over to the 40/400 series.

this is a big holdup for me going to a 50/500 from my 400.
    thanks much for the time..

(i store my desired paths to travel, lol mainly on myroutesapp sorted in folders for regions of the country and other categories, then i can find, tweak or create new desired paths to travel. dl to android devise, then bluetooth over. )

• RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 553 [Revered Pioneer]
    You need an OTG cable to connect the Rider with an Android Phone.
    001134-6266.jpg

And the original cable.
    If you are downloading gpx files from MyDrive to an Android phone you need to Sign on to MyDrive using Google Chrome to get full MyDrive functionality.

The MyDrive Android app will allow you to sync gpx files via WiFi but not download them to your phone for some reason.

Open MyDrive in Chrome, select "My Routes" select the desired Route, then select "Share Route" and it will give you the option to download the gpx file to your phone.
    edited March 31
    i don't use mydrive for managing or handling paths i would like to travel. I
    never have after it seems to modify my desired roads i have chosen to travel on.... i word this so as not to debate, and i use myrouteapp.com lifetime gold member....

i have those adapters that came with my phones, as well as a otg micro specific adapter... i'll play with those and the gps, and see what it does. thanks
    https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Original-Type-USB-Adapter/dp/B01N8PO8YA
    and i microusb one as well. plus another , glad i checked, since i have these on hand already.

edited March 31
    if this works well for the 50/500 series, to transfer from phone/tablet to rider. it might not be a terrible option... hmm.

if i play with this on my 40/400, switching to the newer model it should work the same ??
    JoelS. wrote: »
    if this works well for the 50/500 series, to transfer from phone/tablet to rider. it might not be a terrible option... hmm.

if i play with this on my 40/400, switching to the newer model it should work the same ??

JoelS,

Like you, I use MyRouteApp (Gold) for the large majority of my Route Planning simply because it allows me to transfer .itn files to my GPS. It's unfortunate TomTom MyDrive does not support this feature.

Saving .itn files from MyRouteApp to your Phone and Cut & Paste to the GPS using USB cable should be the same for Rider 400 and 500 series units. Big advantage to the 550 is it is much faster calculating routes, zooming and panning.

I've also been able to select multiple and save multiple Routes at one time to my Phone. MRA creates a .zip file that I unzip on my phone, then Cut & Paste all Routes to the GPS in one shot.
    excellent, thank you
    not quite as handy as the bluetooth transfer, but sounds like a workable option.

thanks again for the information.
    played just now with the otg adapter and a usb cable for the rider 400. worked just fine i believe, i did not transfer anything, but the sd and nav were both visible...
    if the 550 also has this ability, missing bluetooth transfer for importing is much less of a concern.
    might have to look into the upgrade now...
    thanks again for the information.