My Tomtom 820 Live is frozen! — TomTom Community

My Tomtom 820 Live is frozen!

If I charge it up for a while, then hold down the power button for several seconds, til I get the "drum roll", it then displays a rotating cog symbol for a few seconds, then the picture of the Tomtom with a red cross on the screen and the USB lead connecting it to a PC.

It IS plugged in to my PC, and the PC is running Mydrive Connect, but it does not say its connected.

It froze up a month ago or more while it was updating, and since then I try to do a reset by holding the power button for ages, and I just get the symptoms described above.

Is there any way to completely reset and re-install it? Or what? It is completely useless as it is......

Answers

• gilestomangilestoman Posts: 10 [Apprentice Seeker]
    By the way, I also have a newer "Start 42" and that will connect using the same USB lead and the Mydrive software, which rules those things out as being the problem.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,425
    Superuser
    Hi @gilestoman

The GO820 models use the TomTom HOME software not My Drive Connect which is for your newer model..

Some GO820units are on the obsolete model list which means they are no longer supported by Tomtom. Check on the following by selecting the first 2 letters of your serial number to see what the situation is with your unit.

https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9508/kw/what tomtom do I have

Doug
    Hi Doug, thanks for the reply. However, you are wrong about the 820 using the old Tomtom "Home" program. It doesn't, it uses Mydrive Connect. Your link confirms this:

Your device is a TomTom GO LIVE 820 with 2GB memory and it updates through MyDrive Connect.

Serial number is FT6382K00285. I am aware that there are no longer new maps for this model.

But, I still need to know how to get it out of its "jammed" state, where it just sits there displaying the "connect me to the PC" screen.

I have uploaded a Youtube video of what happens when I hold down the power button for several seconds:

https://youtu.be/bLJb3Ns7i80

Can anyone suggest what I need to do to "unjam" my TomTom please?
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,776
    Superusers
    edited May 3
    Hi
    @gilestoman
    kag6lxs82frd.jpg
    As Doug says check your Serial Number... If it is the GO Live 820
    gilestoman wrote: »
    By the way, I also have a newer "Start 42" and that will connect using the same USB lead and the Mydrive software, which rules those things out as being the problem
    As you can see below... Each Tomtom device uses a different driver
    I have 8 Tomtom devices each device driver has a individual #'n' identifier at the end of the Drivers name

It looks like Recovery Mode has initialized on your device.....
    When in Recovery Mode... The device must be showing as Connected for the Recovery process to complete....

I'm Running Win10 as well... All OK no problems....

Try.... With MyDrive Connect running... Your device plugged in and turned on
    On the PC keyboard... Press the Windows Button + X key
    Choose Device Manager
    The Device Manager Window opens
    Double Click on the '>' character to the left of Network adapters
    The Network adapters Menu opens
    Note...
    My Via 120 Live (#2) & GO Premium (#8) are both connected to USB
    npfdr7vqvb2y.jpg
    If the Tomtom#'n' Icon or the Remote NDIS Compatible Device Icon has a Yellow Exclamation displayed then there is a problem with the installed Driver....
    Note... The Driver can be also be listed as a Remote NDIS Compatible Device... My GO Premium displays as 'NDIS Compatible Device #8'

Maybe Win 10s Troubleshooter will fix the Driver Problems (Or any other USB problems)

With MyDrive Connect running... Your device plugged in and turned on
    On the PC keyboard... Press the Windows Button + R key
    In the Run box type... Control printers
    Click OK
    The Devices and Printers window opens
    Right Click on the Tomtom Icon and select 'Troubleshoot'
    Note... Maybe listed as a Remote NDIS Compatible Device....
    My GO Premium displays as 'NDIS Compatible Device #8'

neha7jky70on.jpg
    Then follow on-screen instructions....

ATB YFM
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,425
    Superuser
    edited May 2
    Hi @gilestoman

My apologise. I hope that you are able to get somewhere with @yamfazman 's suggestions. It certainly looks to be in Recovery mode.

What I have noticed is that the GO820 8GB memory Serial (FA) is listed as obsolete on the original announcement and when you check the model details which looks odd when the 4gb unit is okay.

Doug
    Thanks for the replies!

My GO 820 LIVE has serial number FT6382K00285. Does this help at all?

I have turned it on, and connected it to my PC.

It does not show up in Control Panel / Device Manager.

An obvious "clue" is that I do not even hear the "USB sound" when I plug the lead in.

It does not appear on the PC as any kind of a "device" which means that I cannot "troubleshoot" it via the PC.

So, I cannot do anything on the computer to make it work.

If I connect my newer Tomtom Start 42, it does appear in Device Manager as you describe.

So, I am still stuck with my Tomtom 820 basically "frozen". How do I get it out of "Recovery Mode"??

Is there anything that I can do with it to get it out of this state please?
    edited May 3
    I have now tried something else: I found the one remaining PC in our office that still runs Windows 7, and installed Mydrive Connect on it. I then connected the Tomtom 820 to it, and it "recognises" the USB device. Then Mydrive Connect kept stopping and restarting every few seconds, and it now says "restoring your device".

So, the same version of Mydrive Connect at least can "see" my 820 when running under Windows 7, whereas on Windows 10 the PC software just says "not connected" and so will not interact with the Tomtom 820 at all.

Right now, the software is periodically restarting saying "restoring your device" on its startup screen. Then it sits there for several minutes saying "Connecting" on the PC screen, and repeats.

I will leave it connected like this all day and see if it sorts itself out!
    Superusers
    Hi
    @gilestoman

Re "Download/installation interrupted".....
    Are your USB ports set for power saving "USB Selective Suspend"

Win7 See... http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/147369-usb-selective-suspend-turn-off.html

Win10 See… https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/73187-turn-off-usb-selective-suspend-windows-10-a.html
    Click on link and scroll down to "Turn Off USB Selective Suspend"

ATB YFM
    OK, thanks, this was enabled on both my Win10 and Win7 PCs, so I have now disabled it. I am going to retry on the Win7 PC on the basis that at least that machine responded when I connected the TomTom.
    So far, the Mydrive Connect application keeps restarting and displaying various messages saying "Please leave your device connected" and "Restoring your device". I will now leave it plugged in to this PC overnight with the application running, and see if by tomorrow it sorts itself out!

If it doesn't, is there anything else I can do? Does the Tomtom have any means of blanking itself and just re-installing from scratch, or what?
    OK, I have left the TomTom 820 connected to my Windows 7 PC for several days now, and the Mydrive Connect software and the Tomtom keep interacting and the PC software keeps restarting and displaying messages saying "restoring your device" and such.

But it never seems to finish, it just keeps resetting, sitting there with the Tomtom displaying a symbol that means "don't unplug me from the computer, I am updating".

Has anyone else experienced this? Will it ever come out of the loop, do you think?
    Still going as of this morning! Any ideas?
    Superusers
    Hi
    @gilestoman
    I suppose you need to bite the bullet unplug the device and see what happens...

ATB YFM
    Superusers
    edited May 7
    Hi
    @gilestoman

Maybe read this thread.... It's a link to a post from a while back....
    Some of the NAV3 Camper Models were stuck in a continuous start-up Loop....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1640097/#Comment_1640097

ATB YFM
    If I unplug the TomTom from the PC, and hold down the button til I get the "drumroll", it then displays the "rotating cog" for a few seconds, then displays the image of the device needing to be plugged in to the PC.

I have also tried machine-gun tapping the screen as soon as it comes on, but this makes no difference.

I have tried turning it on and off unplugged from the PC several times, behaviour stays the same.

I do not know what else to do here.

Is it worth me opening it up and disconnecting / resetting anything?

Also, I pulled back the cover on the little flap to see the serial number.

If this helps, these are the details:

GO LIVE Model: 4ER41 (4ER4.001.03) Z1230
    SN: FT6382K00285

Any suggestion gratefully received!

Giles