Runner 3 - Slow in changing running pace — TomTom Community

Runner 3 - Slow in changing running pace

dkroldkrol Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
When I'm doing interval training, or simply change the pace during a run, it can take up a long time before my watch is showing the right running pace.
Yesterday for example I was doing multiple 400m in the 5k pace (3.30min/km). The rest periods (200m) where really slow compared to that (6min/km).
When I started a new 400m, it could be that at the end of that 400m the running pace was still shown as 5:30min/km. It stayed on that value the whole 400m.
I used the laps functionality for evere 400m. When I stopped a lap, it showed me the correct pace, so the watch new I was running faster than it showed to me.

Anyone having the same problem? Does anyone know a solution for this?

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,334
    Superusers
    A simple search on the forums will show this is a known issue with the watch and has been for 5 years. No watch has true "instant pace". It is all computed in arrears and is a balance between responsiveness and smoothness. A longer lag time gives you smoother data but is slow to react. A short lag time gets faster responsiveness but choppier data. TomTom is slow to react to changes in pace because it applies a long smoothing period to produce smooth, non-choppy data. If you are running at a fairly steady pace you will not notice the lag. However, if you are doing intervals or sprints or changing speed a lot the lag can be become more apparent. This has been a complaint since the first version of the watch was released 4+ years ago and really has not changed much, so I would not expect much to change now that TomTom has left the watch industry and is no longer producing devices.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • dkroldkrol Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks; i indeed found some forum posts after i wrote this post.
    Superusers
    dkrol wrote:
    Thanks; i indeed found some forum posts after i wrote this post.
    Unfortunately, it is just the way it is. I stick with average pace as it tends to be more accurate overall.
  • Marien67Marien67 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi, I did also notice the lag in the speed update rate. Today I did a test, and found a lag of 15 upto 20 seconds. for the speed position, this results in 20 to 40 meters. So if I m running and start walking at a corner of the street. The Runner2 shows this 30 meters arround the corner..
    I would propose to TomTom to make this lag time a Setting, to configure it to the best response for a work out. Or make it adaptive, determine the speed changes and change the lag to this.
    Superusers
    Marien67 wrote: »
    Hi, I did also notice the lag in the speed update rate. Today I did a test, and found a lag of 15 upto 20 seconds. for the speed position, this results in 20 to 40 meters. So if I m running and start walking at a corner of the street. The Runner2 shows this 30 meters arround the corner..
    I would propose to TomTom to make this lag time a Setting, to configure it to the best response for a work out. Or make it adaptive, determine the speed changes and change the lag to this.

TT Sports went out of business over 2.5 years ago and will not be making any changes to the software. The watches are obsolete and will not change.