Rider 2013 (K4) base charging problems (solved) — TomTom Community

Rider 2013 (K4) base charging problems (solved)

JosepsJoseps Posts: 22 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
edited July 2019 in RIDER
Hi all,
I want to share how I fixed the charging issues I had with my Rider's motorcycle base. This might also work for other old models with the same issue.

Symptoms:
- The base stops charging while riding. If you have the auto-off feature the Rider warns is going off.
- Moving the cable or base seems to fix the problem.
- The problem happens with medium/high mileage and gets worse over time. Mine started occasionally failing with less than 35.000 km (20.000 miles), and a few months later it failed almost constantly. I had to disable the auto-off and charge it using a usb cable.

Misleading probable causes:
- The cable. Moving the connector seems to fix something, as it charges again. I disassembled the connector and checked carefully every pin and cable and it was fine. The same with the long pins in the base.
- The base electronics. I have friends that changed the base just to fix this, thinking the internals were bad due to moisture. It sure worked but it wasn't that.

Real problem:
- The guides holding the Rider to the base get worn over time, and the space between both grows, so eventually, the gap is too big and the electrical contact becomes erratic.
- The 7 Rider pins are visibly worn out due to use (mine has now 70.000 km). This aggravates the issue.

Solution:
Supplying the lost plastic material in the base to force both items to fit tighter and close the gap fix the issue entirely.
I did that glueing two nylon zip ties in both sides of the connector, as shown in the pictures. That material is not aggressive with the Rider and is perfectly flat, so it slides nicely.
I had to make the zip ties thinner so I scrapped them in the serrated side with a multitool (a file will work too), that also helps that area to attach nicely to the glue. I used regular 2-components epoxy glue that also fills any gap.

15gqonl.jpg
27y0bcx.jpg

More skilled people sure can achieve a better cosmetic finish, but this slightly ugly thing does the job and having the rider in place hides the crime nicely.

I hope this might help someone. Cheers.
Joseps

Comments

• lampardlampard Posts: 4,880 Moderator
    :+1:
  • DortmundJohnDortmundJohn Posts: 7 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hi
    I have the same issue.
    We cannot see your pictures any more though....Tiny Pic has closed down.
    Any chance of you reading this and sending me the pictures to my private e-mail?
    Or downloading them here again in a different format so we can see them>?
    Thanks
    John
  • JosepsJoseps Posts: 22 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Hi
    I have the same issue.
    We cannot see your pictures any more though....Tiny Pic has closed down.
    Any chance of you reading this and sending me the pictures to my private e-mail?
    Or downloading them here again in a different format so we can see them>?
    Thanks
    John
    Hi
    These were the missing pics:
    https://imgur.com/gallery/SoAuzzB

Cheers
  • mfp1706mfp1706 Posts: 9 [Master Explorer]
    edited April 14
    the cable that connects the active charging mount to 12V has sometimes out of spec connectors... by disassembly and squeezing of the female part of the connector this problem can be resolved (I have three actives mounts and all of them had this problem... and the other problems described above... WD40 for the pins etc. but the cable connector problem was the most difficult to solve)
    http://www.rima-lock.com/wackelkontakt.htm