Difference — TomTom Community

Difference

Hello Everybody, I have a question about why should I buy a Tomtom go 5200 instead of to use an app on my smartphone? I have already a Tomtom go 5200, but last somebody ask me what is the difference, actually I can't give a good answer. Havo someone of you a good answer?

Best Answer

• LochfrassLochfrass Posts: 14,131
    Superusers
    Accepted Answer
    it's a matter of taste if you are a PND fan or an App fan. both have pros and cons.
    I like the PND better. Sometimes it's just little things like the better loudspeaker or the fact that you can navigate without being disturbed by an incoming call.

Answers

• LochfrassLochfrass Posts: 14,131
    Superusers
    Accepted Answer
    it's a matter of taste if you are a PND fan or an App fan. both have pros and cons.
    I like the PND better. Sometimes it's just little things like the better loudspeaker or the fact that you can navigate without being disturbed by an incoming call.
  • dmulvdmulv Posts: 667
    Superuser
    I think the main deciding factor should be how much you're likely to use it. If it's only occasionally then probably use the phone app. If you're likely to use it regularly (e.g. for a daily commute) or for long periods, then get a device.

The main reason for this is because phones aren't designed to be on for long periods of time, and you're likely to shorten its lifespan as a result. The main risks:
    • Continual charge/discharge cycles will shorten the lifespan of the battery
    • The screen being constantly on, along with a chance of being located under a windscreen in the sun, will lead to overheating
    • The same app being shown on screen with the same design elements will likely lead to screen burn-in (devices use a different type of screen that don't suffer burn-in)