TomTom GO Basic won’t start — TomTom Community

TomTom GO Basic won’t start

It starts up and within a few seconds closes down then repeats this cycle until I manually shut it down. Where is the reset button on this model?

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,762
    Superusers
    Hi
    @SilverTaxiDude
    Welcome to the site...,
    Have you tried a Soft/Drum roll restart on the device ??? This restarts the devices Operating System afresh

RESETTING YOUR NAVIGATION DEVICE
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6965//session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDI2NjM0NDUyL3NpZC9EQTdTVHpobQ

Charge the device for at least 2Hrs "OR" have the device plugged into a power supply
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound then release the on/off button.
    You won’t lose anything; it’s just like rebooting your PC
    I use a Soft/drum-roll start after any upgrade large or small.
    It’s also useful to keep in mind for sorting out most minor niggles......

ATB YFM
  • SilverTaxiDudeSilverTaxiDude Posts: 10 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Have already tried that powered through my laptop overnight. It closes itself down 10 secs after drum roll. Gonna try it direct from the charger just to see if it’s a charging up problem and maybe use a different charging cable as well to see if the problems there. Any other suggestions?
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,405
    Superuser
    Hi @SilverTaxiDude

I assume you have connected the charger cable to the unit itself not to the holder so you have eliminated the possibility the holder is faulty.

Doug
    No don’t use a holder, I feel it’s not holding charge (could be wrong) so am gonna try and charge another device with the cable and maybe charge up again on different laptop
    Superuser
    edited April 6
    Hi @SilverTaxiDude

Trying to charge a unit using a Laptop is not the best idea. The charge being received is small and would not be enough to both run and charge a unit at the same time. Also depending on your PC’s Power Saving settings the sockets may be turning off after a few minutes of inactivity.

If you have got an Apple or similar mobile phone charger plug that you can attach to the cable by USB then the charge is much stronger.

It is not recommended to plug the cable into a USB socket in a car rather than using the supplied Cig socket connector. If you did the unit would stop working eventually because the unit would be using more power than it is receiving whilst working.

Doug
    Doug
    Am trying different leads in case it was a faulty TomTom lead even tried the lead from my hurl tablet as it’s thicker than ordinary leads no joy there. Dug out my old TomTom Start 25 to use temporarily, needs a full charge tonight. The GO problem remains the same, I’ll try charging it with the TomTom lead from the Start 25 direct from the mains through a phone charger
    Doug
    The lead change made no difference, so my next question is, as I've had this unit for a few years, could the memory be full so I would then need a memory card. Would this stop the unit from loading a map? Or am I just clutching at straws and the unit is Knackered? btw the start 25,my old unit is working perfectly

Superuser
    Hi @SilverTaxiDude

If you hold the On/Off button until you get white writing what memory values do you get.

Doug
  • snibosnibo Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    updated VIA 280 , now unit will not turn on. after drumroll, small symbol shown then turns off
    DougLapPosts

Sorry been so long replying been working through the pandemic with my spare satnav. Memory values are total 410mb available 310 mb
    Superuser
    edited July 11
    Hi @SilverTaxiDude

That amount of free memory is below the amount that is recommended as it is suggested you have at least 400mb of free memory for operational needs. The addition of a memory card is needed.

Doug
    Hi DougLap Posts
    Put a SD card in but my PC wouldn’t fully format it, ok with quick format. Then when I try and load map of Europe I get “oops something went wrong try again “. Will a new SD card sort this?
    Superuser
    Hi @SilverTaxiDude

You definitely need to do a full format not the Quick format on a card in a PC.

Try a new card 16gb or Maximum 32gb Micro SD Class 10 memory card made by Sandisk, Samsung or similar major make from a reliable source to avoid fakes. Some of the lesser known makes have had the odd issue in TT units.

Doug
    Further problem added more memory and connected to laptop given the option to update which I took got to 17% and lead became detached, stuck now at 17%
    Got a update failed message so doing another update could be resolved with this. Will keep you up to date
    Hi Douglap
    Again sorry for the delay can't get on my laptop stepdaughter working from home on it. Managed to get update fully downloaded 100% but still no map. Also device doesn't show up on laptop though it must be recognized by mydrive connect. Now thinking of factory reset though the only tutorial is for a different device. Any further ideas.