satnav using the old jubliee bridge in runcorn again — TomTom Community

satnav using the old jubliee bridge in runcorn again

rayhopleyrayhopley Posts: 43 [Master Explorer]
after a update the satnav is starting to try to take me over the old jubliee bridge between runcorn widnes even thou it still hasnt reopened

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 20,331
    Superusers
    Hi
    @rayhopley

Have you tried a Soft/Drum roll restart on the device ??? This restarts the devices Operating System afresh

RESETTING YOUR NAVIGATION DEVICE
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6965//session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDI2NjM0NDUyL3NpZC9EQTdTVHpobQ

Charge the device for at least 2Hrs "OR" have the device plugged into a power supply
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound then release the on/off button.
    You won’t lose anything; it’s just like rebooting your PC
    I use a Soft/drum-roll start after any upgrade large or small.
    It’s also useful to keep in mind for sorting out most minor niggles....

ATB YFM
  • Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 301 [Supreme Pioneer]
    I am getting the same incorrect results on My Go Camper + Go Premium X of being routed across the Silver Jubilee Bridge, which according to the various news reports is currently closed and will be opened for Road Traffic in September 2020.

I have other navigation devices/apps/PC maps which reflect the bridge closure, but bizarrely Tomtom's MyDrive (web based) is showing the bridge is closed.......................... ;) this seems to be yet another example where one part of Tomtom is reflecting the correct situation but is not consistently reflected on our navigation devices.

Per my Go Camper (Widnes to Runcorn centres)

hypd3fquv656.jpg

Per MyDrive

d9txxav1zn0u.png

Will leave you ( @rayhopley ) to report this to Customer Services for investigation.
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 12,888 Moderator
    edited March 2020
    Tried planning a similar route today and it looks fine on the GO PREMIUM X

w0x2mq7pwfeb.png

Thanks
    Vikram
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 9,169
    Superuser
    Hi @VikramK

Try Runcorn (centre) to Widnes (centre).

Doug
    Superusers
    edited March 2020
    Hi
    @VikramK

Route planned... Runcorn (centre) to Widnes (centre)
    The NAV4 GO 5000
    Gives the correct route through over the new bridge....
    1kprdssh6g5o.jpg
    The NAV5 GO Premium
    Now gives the correct route over the new bridge....
    0p0iyhu7nixj.jpg
    Edit... Checked the setting on the NAV5 GO Premium... Avoid Tolls was set to on.....

Edit... Re the old Bridge as far as I recall when the New bridge opened... You needed Live Traffic active on the device or the device thought the old bridge was still open
    Users with None Live devices were complaining....

ATB YFM
    Superuser
    Hi

If I select Widnes Centre as the Start and Runcorn Centre as the destination on my GO 5200 is shows a route crossing via the old bridge on the A533 Queensway. If I then select drive it still goes through the start and finish points the same way.

Doug
    Superusers
    edited March 2020
    Hi
    Route... Widnes Centre as the Start and Runcorn Centre as destination...

The NAV4 GO 5000
    gn4qxiyfaqiz.jpg
    The NAV5 GO Premium
    0oewrewn6eo1.jpg

Edit... I have changed the Image & Text....
    In the original Post the text and Image... The GO Premium did NOT Navigate over the Mersey Gateway Bridge, but planned the route as a long loop around the Estuary

I Checked the setting on the NAV5 GO Premium... Avoid Tolls was set to on.....
    Set Tolls to off... The route then navigated over the Mersey Gateway Bridge as in the Image shown above in the post ....

ATB YFM
    So to summarise:

TomTom MyDrive (web based + IOS phone app) is correctly showing the Silver Jubilee Bridge is closed.

An Older Style Nav 4 Go 5000 device is correctly showing the Silver Jubilee Bridge is closed.

“My” Go Camper is incorrectly showing the Silver Jubilee Bridge is OPEN.

“My” Go premium X’s are incorrectly showing the Silver Jubilee Bridge is OPEN.
    Other users are reporting that their devices Go 5200 & Go 6200 (my colleague) are incorrectly showing the Silver Jubilee Bridge is OPEN.

However @VikramK is saying his Go Premium X is correctly avoiding the Silver Jubilee Bridge, but I suspect if he plotted a route Widnes to Runcorn it would use the Silver Jubilee Bridge as his device is not showing the Silver Jubilee Bridge as being closed on the device map. ;)

But @YamFazMan has reported his Go Premium is showing the Silver Jubilee Bridge as being closed which is puzzling as I have several Go Premium X Devices and all of mine are showing the Silver Jubilee Bridge incorrectly as being open. (I have tried Drum Roll Resets / Factory Reset and all are consistently showing the Silver Jubilee Bridge incorrectly as being open)

But even more puzzling is that @YamFazMan has reported that with the Avoid Toll Roads set to ON his Go Premium is routing over the New Mersey Gateway Bridge which is also a TOLL Bridge………………. :/

If I set all my devices to Avoid Toll Roads set to ON they correctly avoid BOTH the Silver Jubilee Bridge and the new Mersey Gateway Bridge. :)

This incorrect and inconsistent navigation is of concern between different TomTom navigational software and devices and of greater concern between individual devices of the same current range of devices (Go Premium).

I currently have many other concerns viz crazy navigational errors on my Go Camper (I also had a Go 6250 which I sold as I just could not rely upon it) and I am very thankful that I am currently not having to navigate any routes or rely on a TomTom Device for my living………….. :s

@YamFazMan - Can you try a Drum Roll Reset / Factory reset please to see if your Go Premium device continues to display the Silver Jubilee Bridge as being closed and with Toll Roads set to On if your device will continue to incorrectly route you over the (Toll) Mersey Gateway Bridge.
    Superusers
    edited March 2020
    Hi
    @Lost_Soul
    Lost_Soul wrote: »
    But even more puzzling is that @YamFazMan has reported that with the Avoid Toll Roads set to ON his Go Premium is routing over the New Mersey Gateway Bridge which is also a TOLL Bridge………………. :/

If I set all my devices to Avoid Toll Roads set to ON they correctly avoid BOTH the Silver Jubilee Bridge and the new Mersey Gateway Bridge. :)
    Gateway Bridge.
    Sorry for the confusion... I edited the post on the 23 of March when I realised that the Avoid Tolls setting on the device was set to ON....
    Here...https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1699061/#Comment_1699061
    I changed the Image & Text....
    In the original Post the text and Image... The GO Premium did NOT Navigate over the Mersey Gateway Bridge, but planned the route as a long loop around the Estuary....

I Checked the setting on the NAV5 GO Premium... Avoid Tolls was set to on.....
    Set Tolls to off... The route then navigated over the Mersey Gateway Bridge as in the revised Image in the post....

ATB YFM
    @YamFazMan

Thank you for your quick response and correction to your posts - at least this means that the Go Premium device range is displaying the same route even if this is incorrect...... :s

(I assume @VikramK will confirm a similar result to your and other Go Premium devices)

It appears odd to me that an earlier NAV4 device is navigating correctly on this route whereas the later and supposedly improved Go Premium range is routing incorrectly.

However it still is of concern where different TomTom devices and software are producing different navigational results which goes back to my opinion that Tomtom should concentrate on producing a centralised database of common maps rather than updating the individual maps for individual devices as it can introduce this type of fundamental navigation error. Sadly in my limited experience with Tomtom devices this is not an isolated issue.
    Superusers
    edited March 2020
    Hi
    @Lost_Soul

GO Premium.... Just planned (27 March)
    Route Runcorn --> Widnes all OK....

fgtzxp5yk6g5.jpg
    ATB YFM
    Hi @YamFazMan

Thanks for the update, but this is very puzzling as I have done factory resets this morning on 3 of my devices; a Go Camper plus 2 Go Premium X's, and they are all showing the Silver Jubilee Bridge as being OPEN.

Can you please confirm the screenshot you have put up is "actually" from your Go Premium as the display for the closed roads looks different to all of my Go Premium X's?

But I just had a thought; I am sat here in Sunny Hertfordshire and Runcorn etc is about 180 miles drive, so I am setting the route on my devices (plugged into my PC via a USB cable) telling it that Runcorn is the starting point............

And zooming out on the device maps I can see Traffic delays etc as far North as Leicester (~75 miles away) , so if I physically drove and got within say 75 miles of the Silver Jubilee Bridge would my device then start recognising it is closed???? :)

Assuming you must live within the "area" of your device recognising Traffic delays etc in the Runcorn area, if I asked you to check a destination in excess of 75 miles away from your home location i.e. on your device is "Roman Road Bow E3 showing as being closed ??? (all of my devices show Roman Road as does MyDrive to be closed)

Thanks
    Superuser
    Hi @Lost_Soul @YamFazMan

On both my Go 5200 and Go Camper units the routing would take me across the old bridge ie the Silver Jubilee Bridge. Now I am in North Kent so that area is well outside my traffic data circle.

Whilst I can understand that when nearer the traffic data may then correct the routing I would have assumed, always dangerous 😀, that a Closed Road should be taken into consideration from the start like a Pass closed during the winter.

Interestingly the Go Navigator App for IOS ignores the old bridge and goes via the new bridge from the Getgo. The NTS maps show a small closed section South of the river but it still routes via the new bridge whichever way you ask for.ie North /South or South /North. The closed section is not shown as in both carriageways.

@VikramK got his result because of his South of the river selection. If it is related to traffic data then he is well outside the 50+ miles. 😁😁

Doug
    Superusers
    edited March 2020
    Hi
    @Lost_Soul

GO Premium Live Traffic Horizon from Worcester City (Centre)
    Connected over USB

brbrqxmfd2u6.jpg

When I restarted the GO Premium... The Runcorn --> Widnes route was still active
    I Tapped the Drive Icon, the route recalculated from Worcester City (Centre) --> Runcorn --> Over the Mersey Gateway Bridge --> Widnes... ALL OK

kb2jl4wdw6sc.jpg
    Re... The old Bridge as far as I recall when the New bridge opened... You needed Live Traffic active on the device or the device thought the old bridge was still open... I remember users with None Live devices were complaining...

ATB YFM
    Superusers
    edited March 2020
    Hi
    @Lost_Soul & @DougLap

GO 620 Phone not connected... No Live Traffic....

6sha1isuc6gq.jpg
    Route planned Runcorn --> Widnes... Route offered is over the Old Mersey Bridge....

m1ejq3ia69fu.jpg

Found this... Runcorn-Widnes bridge reopening delayed again....
    Here... https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/runcorn-widnes-bridge-reopening-delayed-17185667
    I guess this is why Tomtom are only using a Temporary Traffic Closure for the bridge ???

ATB YFM
    Hi @YamFazMan @DougLap

Thanks for your feedback which appears to confirm that our devices are not to be relied on for journeys in excess of ~75 miles due to the possibility of ignoring a closed road.............. and while it is acknowledge the device will reroute as it gets closer to the closure it is nonetheless confusing and producing conflicting results with other Tomtom navigation software when planning a longer range journey.

I have checked my other non-Tomtom devices and they are all acknowledging and navigating around closed roads in excess of the ~75 live traffic circle of Tomtom. It would be my preference for Tomtom to take into account road closures when planning a route - road closures whilst temporary in nature are typically days/months versus the minutes/hour associated with traffic delays.

I will investigate using the Tomtom Go Navigator App as that appears to take closed roads into account when planning a longer range journey.

Thanks again.
    Superusers
    edited March 2020
    Hi

The Tomtom App on the iPhone & iPad....
    Both have the same Traffic Horizon as the PND devices....

e.g... iPhone....
    m3s81y2kvvcn.png

ATB YFM
    Superuser
    Hi

Here is the image on the Go Nav App map which appears to show a road closure which does not appear on the PND maps. My assumption 😱 is this may explain why the Apps routing ignores the bridge even when starting well over 100 miles away.
    i54z5b6th4tl.png

Doug
    Hi @YamFazMan @DougLap

Thanks for the update, as I would expect; the traffic data circle is the same as on our PND's, but the App does appear to take into account road closures in excess of the Traffic data circle which is exactly what I prefer. :)

I have not looked at the Go App for over a year when we decided it was not ready then to replace our PND's but it will be interesting to see what improvements (if any ;) ) have occurred in the interim period.

This has coincided with the map and traffic updates on my wife's car expiring soon and if the Go App review is favourable to her, using the app will be a much cheaper option than her car manufacturers offering!
    Superuser
    Hi

Just a thought. The PND maps are also used for creating routes for Bicycles and Walking and so if the maps had a complete block on the old bridge then they would not route via the bridge which I believe is open for Cyclists and Walkers.

That may be the reason, if it is the case, why the route many be recalculated as you get near it based on traffic data.

The Nav Apps car based so could facilitate closures being recognised from the beginning.

Doug
    Superusers
    edited March 2020
    Hi

Personally I haven't a problem Tomtom PND's having a Traffic Horizon dynamically centred (Live) from your present location...
    The Traffic Horizon (Bubble of about 50 Miles/80 Kilometres) radiating from your present location, travelling forward with you as you travel on your journey, plus the traffic data is constantly being refreshed every 2 Minutes....
    Currently the journey time from Worcestershire to Liverpool (As in the example image) is 2hrs 14mins why would I want to know the Traffic info for more than 2 hours ahead, when the traffic Horizon (Bubble) travelling forward with me and constantly being refreshed every 2 Minutes....

6p3gbtni32cv.jpg
    If you want World Live Traffic see the MyDrive Web Route planner
    There's also an option to turn-on and view the live Traffic flow

ATB YFM
    Hi,

I too have "little" issue with the way that TT refreshes traffic delay data I only wish they were as on the ball with Road works and Road closures...........................

Before this last month; our normal driving pattern is to be coming back along the M25 late at night after an evening out, but that time coincides when the Highways Agency do their roadworks and "often" close whole complete sections of the M25 Motorway and it happens time and time again that Tomtom does not reflect the physical closure and although we may see the M25 is physically closed and divert away from the Motorway the PND will repeatedly attempt to navigate us back to the Closed Motorway. :s

Tomtom will either never report the Motorway is closed or reports it several hours later.................... but other companies devices / navigation software does; so why can't Tomtom get these closures?

For example today; a friend called me to say on his walk out this morning that the road was physically closed near to his home ~at 10am - TT was showing nothing but Waze managed to correctly reflect the closure. We both monitored events and it took TT 3+ hours before the closure was reflected.
  • MegalosMegalos Posts: 6,078
    Superusers
    Just tried on a GO Premium as well, and no issues here. I live in the Netherlands so I didn't get TomTom Traffic around Widnes. And during the first demo route, it indeed routed me across the wrong bridge. But then during the demo it fetched the traffic information, and when I planned the route again, that time the correct bridge was chosen. So seems that the availability of traffic information is the thing here, as indeed mentioned before by you already. With a demo route, you can fetch traffic information in areas other than your current real position.
    @Megalos

I tried this and got similar results, but it is peculiar why doing a route demo (from a remote location) it first navigates you over the closed bridge and shows it to be closed. Then the second time it navigates you correctly.

It is "almost that" when planning a longer than say 75 mile drive, you may have to do a route preview of the whole route and possibly twice to be sure it will pick up traffic and road closures. ;)
  • MegalosMegalos Posts: 6,078
    Superusers
    Indeed. But in practice you would not have the issue, as traffic information is fetched automatically once you're within 75 miles from the bridge. And then the TomTom will reroute you over the correct bridge.

Anyway, it would be a good feature if traffic information (road closures mainly) would be fetched at least along the initial route planned, to avoid this kind of things.