USB Car Charger - Where to Purchase — TomTom Community

USB Car Charger - Where to Purchase

HELP, I have been going around in circles trying to find somewhere to purchase a car charger in Canada. Specifically in Nova Scotia. My better half forgot ours in a rental car. :-( The TomTom site shows the charger and the price but try to purchase it!!!! No button, link, or anything!!!
Thanks for your assistance and take care, PK

Best Answer

Answers

• dhndhn Posts: 33,283 Superusers
    Do you have a Best Buy in NS? How about a Source store. Even a Canadian Tire might have them.
  • MahoneBayMahoneBay Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hello dhn,
    Thanks for the quick reply. Checked BestBuy online and they don't list the TomTom cigarette adapter. Tried out local Source (small shop) as well as Canadian Tire - neither had any TomTom accessories. All these shops have lots of USB connector adapters but none with the TomTom specific 5V / 1.2A output. :-( Proverbial needle in a haystack!
    Thanks and take care,
    PK
    They don't have to be Tomtom labelled chargers. Any 5V / 1.2A (or up to 2.0) should do.
    Hello dhn,
    Appreciate the feedback. Unfortunately every after market adapter I have seen is either 5V / 1A, 2.1A or 3.0A. I have not seen a schematic for the TomTom charging circuit so I don't know how sophisticated the design is. All TomTom cigarette lighter adapters are the same; 5V / 1.2A which leads me to believe that is the maximum charging value allowed. I will continue to look around for the proper charger - fingers crossed that I come across one. :-)
    Thank you and take care, PK
    I really think 2.1 will be ok.
  • bigbig Posts: 1,614 Superuser
    edited March 19
    I exclusively use high powered (2.1A) chargers with our TomTom devices. Have been doing so for many years with no issues due to the chargers.
    Hello big,
    Appreciate your feedback but using a 2.1A charger in a circuit designed for 1.2A is, in my book, too risky.

Hello YamFazMan,
    Wonderfully detailed and informative reply that confirms my suspicions. Thank you!! :-) In the meantime I have found a supplier on eBay that sells genuine TomTom cigarette lighter adapters.

Thanks again and take care,
    PK
  • bigbig Posts: 1,614 Superuser
    @MahoneBay
    I understand your concerns, but that's not the way most things work -- it's like saying you shouldn't put a 60 Watt bulb into a socket that can supply power for bulbs up to 300 Watts.

The TomTom takes what it needs. It doesn't know where it will be used: you can connect it to your computer, to a charger at home, or even wire it in to your vehicle.

I'm not trying to say it *never* might be a concern, but almost never. Most devices are smarter than that. Even a TomTom :astonished:
  • LAURE123LAURE123 Posts: 1,519 Superuser
    Hi all

@MahoneBay

Don't worry about the power of the charger. TomTom markets its own 2x2.4A car charger for its TomTom devices. Our devices can support 2A or more. The problem is more compatibility to have the Bright screen and a charger of sufficient quality to manage the power sent. According to my knowledge it is the charger which must manage the power by its electronic components.
    Canadian link: https://www.tomtom.com/en_ca/drive/accessories/chargers-cables/high-speed-dual-charger/
    a9ioxvynz2tr.png

Personally, I use a third-party dual car charger mentioned as smart by its manufacturer. I can charge my TomTom devices and at the same time my Samsung smartphone in Fast Charge mode but also other devices. I was well aware at the time of purchase that there could be a compatibility problem with my TomTom devices but I tried and it works for me. See @YamFazMan post.

I have this one bought on Amazon, there are newer models since my purchase. I can not guarantee that it will work for you with your car and your TomTom device.
    Anker PowerDrive 2 Elite 2 Ports USB 24W
    jyi0bt2k22l7.png

Regards.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 16,485 Superusers
    edited March 25
    Hi
    @big
    Yes +1... The USB device PULLS the required the current to charge the device
    The Power Adapter/Charger doesn't PUSH the MAX current to the device, but that said, I think there is some power sensing circuitry going on with Tomtom devices, Maybe OTG (On the GO) or Hi-Speed charging who knows ???

Smart Chargers (IQ) are supposed to interrogate the device and then set the appropriate charging Current level, then gradually taper the charge Current down to Zero when the battery is fully charged ....

The simple looking USB Port can be a very complicated interface....
    Wikipeadia... USB....
    See... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

ATB YFM
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 16,485 Superusers
    edited March 25
    Hi
    @LAURE123

I used the earlier Anker IQ Dual port 2.4 Amp power adapter...
    Anker IQ Dual port 4.8 Amp across 2 ports
    Port (1)... Screen Bright
    Port (2)... Screen Bright
    Never had a problem.... :)

iujp8e1lawk4.jpg
    Now I use....
    4kgnepde114r.png
    New style Tomtom High speed dual port adapter
    (With pass though 12v Power Socket)
    High-speed port... (1) Screen Bright
    High-speed port... (2) Screen Bright
    I use the pass though 12v Power Socket for for my iPad power adapter

ATB YFM
  • LAURE123LAURE123 Posts: 1,519 Superuser
    edited March 26
    Hi @YamFazMan :)

I use a Third Party car charger because I need two USB connectors and very important for me in addition compatibility with Samsung Fast Charge, named Adaptive Fast Charge by Samsung = Qualcomm Quick charge 2.0.
    I don't use it often for my phone but when I need it it's often urgent.

So in my experience:
    Anker PowerDrive 2 Elite 2 Ports USB 24W
    For my TomTom GO5100 and Start25 devices
    Port (1) ... Screen Bright
    Port (2) ... Screen Bright
    And for my Samsung devices even if I'm the only one concerned. :innocent:
    Port (1) + Port (2) Ok for Fast Charge Samsung with a compatible cable even if the car charger is not Qualcomm Quick charge 2.0 certified. Also OK for two devices at the same time.

The TomTom chargers are very good, I have in addition to the standard model the former TomTom model, 1 port 2A.
    But nothing in the description of current models specifies that they are compatible with the Fast Charge of current smartphones. When I bought in January 2018 I preferred to take this Anker model. The discount price of the moment also helped me choose... :)

If I had to buy a new car charger I would look for a Qualcomm Quick charge compatibility at least 3.0 (4.0 starts to appear).

Regards.