TomTom No GPS Signal 2019 - Page 7 — TomTom Community

TomTom No GPS Signal 2019

123457»

Comments

• ceiarosaceiarosa Posts: 0 [New Seeker]
    my tomtom is always saying "Waiting for a valid GPS Signal" and wont start the directions
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,306
    Superusers
    Call support @ceiarosa

United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
  • gaz12123gaz12123 Posts: 0 [New Seeker]
    Hi,
    I've a Tom Tom Start 25.
    Had for years with no issues.
    Recently turned it on and it wouldn't connect to gps.
    I've restored the device and also downloaded the software, but it still can't find GPS signal?
    Help!
    Thanks
    Gareth
  • Dome1970Dome1970 Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    edited August 2019
    I own a VIA135 which I use non-regular as I have built in Navigation system in my car. However in some cases when I drive my motorbike or when I rent a car I need to use it. in 2019 I was using it once in early August and after couple of km-s I have lost the GPS signal. I thought this is an interim issue due to environment but it is not working at all since then. I was updating my device using Tomtom application but it is still looking for the GPS signal. What can be my issue and how can I fix it ?
    Resetting is not helping
    Thanks, it is working now! Appreciate!!!
  • LAURE123LAURE123 Posts: 1,567
    Superuser
    Hi @Dome1970

Glad for you that everything went well. :)
    Our devices are not recent but are still doing their job with this update.

Regards.
  • Mike ThamMike Tham Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hi Vikram
    My Tomtom Go 1005 still cannot detect the GPS signal after performing all those steps like which you have mentioned.
    The Serial No. of my unit is SQ4422H00028 and also with App. 12.075
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,121
    Superusers
    edited September 2019
    Hi
    @Mike Tham

I see you have already installed Update 12.075....

A Drum-roll Soft Start can help.... Hold the ON/OFF Power button in until you hear a Drum-roll sound... Then release the button.... This will reinitialize the devices Operating System, like restarting your PC

Fully charge the Battery (At least 2 Hours)
    A low battery can cause GPS Satellite fix problems

First Plan a route on the device... Now place the device outside with a clear view to the sky
    (I used a a 5200 mAh battery power-pack... while waiting for a First Fix Satellite lock)

It can take anything up to 30 Minutes to get the first Satellite Lock
    After the Initial 'First Lock' the device should lock quickly onto the Satellites

ATB YFM
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Mike Tham

If your still struggling to get a GPS Fix
    Try....
    I have found with my Car parked on the drive, if I placed the device on the centre of the Cars roof (I used one of those 'Sticky' rubber mats to stop it sliding off the roof)
    The device will obtain it's first GPS Satellite lock more quickly... The metal roof of the Car acts as a ground-plane for the SatNav GPS Antenna and increases the signal strength

Test... GO 825 Live connected to a 5200 mAh battery power-pack... PND Displaying 'GPS Status Menu'
    (1)... Centre of Car roof (Parked on drive).....
    Signal strength 86% Connected Satellites 9
    (2)... Outside clear view to the sky.....
    Signal strength 61% Connected Satellites 6
    (3)... Indoors 1st floor one metre from window.....
    Signal strength 51% Connected Satellites 4
    (4)... Indoors ground floor one metre from window.....
    Signal strength 41% Connected Satellites 3

DON'T FORGET... If your using the cars roof
    Keep an eye on the device, you wouldn't want a family member driving off not knowing its on the roof or a Thief walking off with your SatNav

Also its a long drop from the Cars roof onto the hard surface of the drive, I doubt a SatNav would survive a fall like that

Use the above information at your own risk, the usual exclaimers apply

ATB YFM
  • Mike ThamMike Tham Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    edited September 2019
    I have Tomtom Go Live 1005 (2050) and several o after updating, it cannot detect the GPS signal. I have tried all the methods but none of them work.

The maps were 10.35 & device firmware was 12.045 with S/N:SQxxxHxxxx28. My Tomtom Mydrive Connect is 4.2.5.3770.

Is there any way which I can clear the maps & reload them?

Please kindly advise. Thank you.

Regards

Mod edit: Please don't post private or personal information on a public forum. Thanks!
  • Tom ukTom uk Posts: 3 [New Traveler]
    seriously! a company like tom tom cant sorted out this issue?
    I have tom tom 25 start undated, reset ( hard 20 seconds) updated again , still no satellite....
    I think time to say good bey to tom tom and get a garmin, sham on tom tom
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 5,715
    Superuser
    Hi @Tom uk

Have you tried the suggestions made by @YamFazMan in this topic?

Doug
  • ksegkseg Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Hi, I have the Start 20 and have the 'Waiting for a valid GPS signal' problem. I've updated all the software, reset the device and completed a factory reset, but it still won't work. Any ideas?
  • TomTomNewbie91TomTomNewbie91 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hello, I have updated my device, reset etc. but it still will not locate the GPS. There are no further updates for me to do. It is a Blue&Me Go Live 2
    Can anybody help with what the issue may be?
    Thanks
  • ShaazaanShaazaan Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hi,
    I've a Tom Tom One.
    Had for years with no issues just got it out of the cupboard as I needed to use it again.
    Recently turned it on and it wouldn't connect to gps detecting 0 satellites.
    I've restored the device and also downloaded the software, but it still can't find GPS signal?
    Help!
    Thanks
    Shaazaan
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Shaazaan

A Drum-roll Soft Start can help.... Hold the ON/OFF Power button in until you hear a Drum-roll sound... Then release the button.... This will reinitialize the devices Operating System, like restarting your PC

Fully charge the Battery (At least 2 Hours)
    A low battery can cause GPS Satellite fix problems
    First Plan a route on the device... Now place the device outside with a clear view to the sky
    (I used a a 5200 mAh battery power-pack... while waiting for a Satellite lock)
    It can take anything up to 30 Minutes to get the first Satellite Lock
    After the Initial 'First Lock' the device should lock quickly onto the Satellites

If your still struggling to get a GPS Fix
    Try....
    I have found with my Car parked on the drive, if I placed the device on the centre of the Cars roof (I used one of those 'Sticky' rubber mats to stop it sliding off the roof)
    The device will obtain it's first GPS Satellite lock more quickly... The metal roof of the Car acts as a ground-plane for the SatNav GPS Antenna and increases the signal strength

Test... GO 825 Live connected to a 5200 mAh battery power-pack... PND Displaying 'GPS Status Menu'
    (1)... Centre of Car roof (Parked on drive).....
    Signal strength 86% Connected Satellites 9
    (2)... Outside clear view to the sky.....
    Signal strength 61% Connected Satellites 6
    (3)... Indoors 1st floor one metre from window.....
    Signal strength 51% Connected Satellites 4
    (4)... Indoors ground floor one metre from window.....
    Signal strength 41% Connected Satellites 3

DON'T FORGET... If your using the cars roof
    Keep an eye on the device, you wouldn't want a family member driving off not knowing its on the roof or a Thief walking off with your SatNav

Also its a long drop from the Cars roof onto the hard surface of the drive, I doubt a SatNav would survive a fall like that

Use the above information at your own risk, the usual exclaimers apply

ATB YFM
  • AndrewPedlowAndrewPedlow Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    This may already have been dealt with and if so, I apologise. I have just bought a 2010 Renault Laguna 1.5tdci Dynamique TomTom. I downloaded the TomTom home software and did all the updates to the SD card. But it still doesn't seem to get a satellite signal even after I've done the eject card, stop engine thing. Very frustrating as the system looks awesome otherwise. Anyone got any advice on how to get the satellite signal working? Thanks.
  • ViliuaViliua Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    edited February 19
    Hi, I have a problem with TomTom GO730 J4xxxxxxx77 AK7A4 A2GUN
    The first time you turn on navigation, the satellite catches up quickly and everything is in order, after you turn it on again 10 minutes after you turn it off. the satellite does not receive. Leaving navigation enabled, it takes 1-2 hours for the satellites to catch up.
      Where might the problem be?

Mod edit: Please don't post private or personal information on a public forum. Thanks!
  • Adamb2020Adamb2020 Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Hi,

I wonder if anybody could help with a problem with my TomTom. It’s a Carminat system installed in a Renault Geand Scenic (2011). It’s worked wonderfully for several years but all of a sudden has lost its gps signal. I’ve tried updating the software but this hasn’t fixed the problem. Can anybody recommend anything else to try?

Thanks,
    Adam.
  • JollyJokerJollyJoker Posts: 0 [New Seeker]
    Hi, Will my discontinued XL still receive a Sat signal , I don't care about updates, ie maps etc Even though it did download updates through TomTom home. I had it plugged in for a 4 hr trip yesterday , No signal, I did a backup today and a factory reset then reinstalled the backup, I haven't used it yet, I like thing working not a paper weight. Thanks.