6200 doesn't work whilst updates are pending — TomTom Community

6200 doesn't work whilst updates are pending

Every time my device has an update pending it won't work properly until I do the update.

For example, if I am out and select 'drive home' it finds the route and then after a 30 seconds to a minute it will just announce the route has been cleared. Also happens if I select to go anywhere, the route will just be cleared.

The device connects to my home WiFi fine but it's not close enough to always connect until I drive past the house, so I suspect it see's the update but there's not enough time to load them (unless I notice and stop & wait).

Is this a design feature or a problem others have had and is there a fix?

I know some will say just do regular updates and do try to do this, but I really don't understand why the whole device acts like a brick just because there's an update pending, seems crazy.

I did a search of the forum and couldn't spot anything similar to my query.
Tagged:

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 4,788 [Elite Voyager]
    Hi @GaryDalby

This is not supposed t happen. It should only advise you when you turn it on that there are updates available then work normally until you decide to install the updates.

Try a Soft Reset. Ie With the unit well charged turn the unit on and when ready to use Hold the ON/OFF button in for about 20 seconds plus until you hear the Drumroll sound then let the button go. The unit will restart. This is a useful thing to do after all updates are done.

If that does not work then I would do a Factory Reset ie.

Tap Menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap System
    Tap Reset Device.

This will delete all your Favourites,(My Places) and any Poi and Route files you have loaded onto the unit and you will have to set it up again.. Go to the My Drive website and log into your account and check that all your favourites etc are there. After you have done the reset when the device logs into your account it should restore the favourites etc.

Doug
  • GaryDalbyGaryDalby Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Thanks DougLap,

I've done the soft reset you suggest (it's not something I'd done before but will in future), fingers crossed it fixes the problem next time there's an update.

Cheers,

Gary
  • Grockle1Grockle1 Posts: 8 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited June 6
    In the same timeframe as Gary above, I have been experiencing exactly the same. If an update is due then the device is unusable. The soft reset doesn't fix it completely. If I am in transit to a destination it seems to work but if I don't have a destination, it keeps proposing one which I have done in the past and then loops and reboots about that. I think there was something wrong in the March timeframe, even the large map update recently didn't clear it. Unfortunately, I was unable to test it in March/April because of lockdown.

I'm testing it at my desk at the moment, before even after the update it was rebooting and kept suggesting a typical route for this time of day, I kept cancelling the routing and it kept rebooting with a suggestion. I then selected a specific route and it has stabilized here at my desk. After 15 mins I cancelled that routing and it is still stable again. Probably until the next pending update. Since the March timeframe every even small danger zone updates have resulted in this behaviour.

I have not as yet tried the Hard Reset approach.

Cheers,

Neil
    Hi @Grockle1

You don't say what TT unit you have in your profile so I assume it is the one in the Question header. You should not have a problem if an update is available and once the device advises you on start up it should carry on working as normal.

I would firstly try a Soft Reset. Ie With the unit well charged turn it on and when ready Hold the ON/OFF button down for about 20 seconds plus until you hear the drumroll sound then let the button go. The unit will restart and for future reference it is a good idea to do this reset after any updates.

If that does not sort it check that all your favourites (My Places), Poi and Route files are safely stored in your account by going to the My Drive webpage and logging in. If that is okay then do a factory reset.

Tap Menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap System
    Tap Reset Device.

You will have to set the unit up again as you did when you first got it but the current map and operating system versions are not altered. Your favourites etc should be synced back to the device once it has logged into your account

Doug
    Hi Doug,

Yes, it is the 6200 unit if that is what you mean and it has now happened again because new danger zone warnings came in today. It rebooted about 6 or more times on a 2x 3km journey.!
    Since last Saturday when I was experimenting and downloading whilst attached to my computer in the house, it has been stable but only once the map update and danger zone updates had been installed. I have now all the latest maps installed. Once the new danger zone update was installed today, it stabilized and now works without rebooting. The Power Supply is the supplied one btw.
    This problem started happening in the March timeframe I cannot say exactly when because I have been in Lockdown and hardly using my car.
    I have forced the Soft Reset dozens of times and the system itself has induced the Soft Reset with Drumroll dozens of times too whilst driving. I always do this reset after updates but the moment a new update becomes available the cyclic reboot problem returns.

When I originally set it up it was a struggle to have Serena as a voice because I purchased the device in Switzerland and use it in English, I had to have one of the TT Support experts tweak it so that I could download Serena (she is Free) to my device. My location is in Switzerland and it throws me always into the French rather than the German and then I don't have all available that I would expect. I do not want an American English Speaker hence Serena has been working perfectly for me until now.
    Hence I am unsure of doing a factory reset again.

The fact that I am not alone here indicates to me that there is maybe something wrong with the map and/or danger zone updates. The previous author GaryDalby also had the problem starting in March and I have read similar elsewhere.

In the meantime a large map update came through but the problem remains unless I update before leaving the house.

Regards,

Neil
    I can confirm a consistent behaviour of my 6200, with all map and warning data up to date then there is no problem with the device, no cyclic rebooting. However, yesterday I again received a Map Danger Warning update (small) status warning and ummediately the device went into this cyclic reboot mode before I could even start the update. Fortunately after it had rebooted I could quickly start the update and afterwards there was no problem. But this can't be the future if I am on a long journey and no possibility to update then I am unable to have a stable SatNav operation. Yesterday I was still outside the garage within reach of my WiFi.
    I also don't see how I can turn the Status message of pending Updates off.

The problem started mid-March and reproduces itself with every Map Danger Warning update. TomTom please fix this, it would seem to be an incompatability of the updates with the device installed system but I have the latest installed.

Regards,

Neil
    Hi @Grockle1

Have you done the Reset device that I suggested in my previous post?

If you have and that has not resolved the issue then the next option is to try a Device Recovery.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1034277/how-to-recover-your-device/p1?new=1

The 3 Taps is the tricky bit and you may have to do it a few times before you get it right.

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 16,798 [Elite Vanguard]
    edited June 15
    Hi
    @Grockle1
    Grockle1 wrote: »
    (Snip)
    I also don't see how I can turn the Status message of pending Updates off.
    (Snip)
    I have never had a problem with a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device playing up after the device has displayed the 'Update Pending' splash bar....

qs98grybwufh.jpg
    When I get a Update Pending Splash bar at the bottom of the screen....
    I place my finger on the Splash Bar and Swipe Down, the Bar Closes and the device operates normally....
    If you place finger on the Splash Bar and Swipe UP the Splash bar expands with more info about the available updates....

Unless you're using a personal My-Fi Hotspot in the car for your data connection, I cant see any other reason for a live Wi-Fi connection other than for updating the device....
    I always Turn-off (Forget) Wi-Fi by default and only login for installing updates
    Its no big deal for updates, you only have to enter your Wi-Fi password
    Another benefit of logging out of Wi-Fi... I find the device is more stable and more responsive in general use when you 'Forget' the Wi-Fi connection

Logout of your Wi-Fi....
    (You can't actually logout you can only 'Forget' the connection)
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on your Connected Wi-Fi
    Tap (Modify) Icon
    Tap (Forget) Icon
    Tap (^) Icon Screen top right
    To verify the Wi-Fi is OFF Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) screen top right Wi-Fi logo with an 'X'

70e5b90b-25ce-4fca-994c-e836a17cb9fa.jpg
    To Reconnect to Wi-Fi.... For Updating etc....
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on your chosen Wi-Fi
    Enter your Wi-Fi Password
    Tap Done
    Tap Connect....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM