MyDrive & Rider 550 - 'MyPlaces' updates quickly, but 'MyRoutes' does not update — TomTom Community

MyDrive & Rider 550 - 'MyPlaces' updates quickly, but 'MyRoutes' does not update

ST1300_PanEuropeanST1300_PanEuropean Posts: 80 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
Hello All:

I am using a Rider 550 and a MyDrive account that I access via a web browser (and occasionally via the MyDrive app on my iPhone).

When I add or delete waypoints to the 'MyPlaces' list using the web browser and MyDrive.TomTom.com, the changes show up quite quickly on my Rider 550, which is logged into the same user account and connected to the internet via Wi-Fi. No problem there at all.

But, when I create a route using the web browser, the route does not transfer over to the Rider 550. the new route does appear very quickly on the MyDrive app on my iPhone - which means I must be correctly creating and storing the route - but even after several days, the route does not appear on the Rider 550.

I'm perplexed. Why would newly created waypoints that I have created using the web browser update quickly to the device, but not routes? There is a control on within the route creation section of the web browser that offers to "Sync this route as a track to my device". I have not selected that control on, because my understanding is that a "track" is not the same as a "route" - a track being an analog breadcrumb trail that will never vary, versus a route being a description of two or more points (beginning and end, plus optional intermediate points) connected by vectors that might change temporally depending on traffic, road closures, etc.

I'm kind of new to using the Rider 550, so if I am missing some basic step in the process, please help me out.

Michael

Best Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,429
    Superusers
    edited March 16 Accepted Answer
    Hi Michel
    @ST1300_PanEuropean

Yes you can Sync .ITN Routes from the MDW Route planner over USB
    The Sync is usually instantaneous
    You just need MyDrive Connect running in the background, ....
    Connecting over USB is normally more reliable than any Over The Air Connections
    MyDrive Connect will only show a "Splash screen" saying "Connect your device using Wifi" etc....

27bxc59f2s23.png
    If required you can close the 'Main Mydrive Window' showing the "Connect your device using Wifi" Splash screen...

Also I install all of my Map updates etc... Over USB it's much faster than over Wi-Fi....

ATB YFM

Answers

Superusers
    edited March 7
    Hi Michael
    @ST1300_PanEuropean
    (Snip) I'm perplexed. Why would newly created waypoints that I have created using the web browser update quickly to the device, but not routes? There is a control on within the route creation section of the web browser that offers to "Sync this route as a track to my device". I have not selected that control on, because my understanding is that a "track" is not the same as a "route" - a track being an analog breadcrumb trail that will never vary, versus a route being a description of two or more points (beginning and end, plus optional intermediate points) connected by vectors that might change temporally depending on traffic, road closures, etc (Snip)
    .GPX Track....
    The Save & Sync option saves a .GPX Track... its basicly a bread crumb track that you follow

.ITN Route....
    A Route planned directly on the device is a .ITN Route the .ITN Route uses Stops and the device plans the route between the stops... An .ITN Route will will respond to Live Traffic and any route deviations BUT an .ITN route will doggedly follow the stops in the order they were created, if you miss a stop, the device will continuously attempt to guide you to the missed stop... You have to cancel the problem stop on the device to avoid it

Using a .ITN Route planned on the MDW Route planner...
    The latest version of MyDrive Web Route planner now uses 'Send Destination' or 'Send Stops' to send an .ITN Route
    The MyDrive Web Route planner only sends the route to the device as a Destination... Or if you add Stops it send it as a Route....
    (But the .ITN Route is not automatically saved in MyRoutes)
    If you are using .ITN route and 'Send Stops'
    see my workaround below

x9kkavu7m0o4.jpg

qkw01ev5tv6s.jpg

Complex Muti Stop .ITN Route Rider 400
    lv3gbgezr1sx.jpg

Be Aware....
    If your starting point IS NOT your present location there's a BUG
    When using the 'Send Stops' option, during an "A" to "B" route transfer where 'A' IS NOT your present location... The device drops Location "A"
    This bug also applies also to Multi-Stop/Waypoint routes... 'A' to 'B' to 'C' to' D' to 'E' etc...

For more info See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1198253/#Comment_1198253

This is the workaround method I use....

The Tomtom MyDrive Web Route Planner....
    Get it Here... https://mydrive.tomtom.com

(1).... Plan my Route with the MyDrive Web Route planner (With or Without Stops as required)

(2)... Zoom in... Place a Sacrificial stop close to the Start Icon

8eaec27f-eba6-4332-bbb7-38ecfdac3110.png
    (4)... Choose the 'Send Stops' option... The route will sync to your device

(5)... The device will calculate your route from your 'Present location'
    (5.1)... The device will calculate your route using Stops in the order that you placed the Stops in the route
    (5.2)... If the planned Start of the Route is your 'Present location'... Then skip Bullet-point... (6)

(6)...When the route has calculated, Pinch zoom to the correct start of your Route (The Sacrificial Stop Icon) 'Long Tap' (Tap and hold for +1 second) on the Sacrificial Stop Icon --> A quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot icon --> Choose 'Use as a Starting Point'
    The device will calculate your route from your new location

(7)... Saving the Route
    'Quick Tap' anywhere on the Route --> A quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot icon --> Manage route --> Add to my Routes.... Edit the route name as required or simply Tap Add

Note... (1) A 'Quick Tap' and 'Long Tap' of the screen gives different menu options
    Note... (2) The MyDrive Web Route planner will sync a route with a Max of 20 stops

ATB YFM
  • ST1300_PanEuropeanST1300_PanEuropean Posts: 80 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Hi @YamFazMan

Thank you for your detailed answer. I have a few questions, to clarify my understanding of the explanation you provided:

1) Is it correct that if I create a simple route (A to B, nothing else) on MyDrive via the web browser, only the destination waypoint (B) will be sent to the device? In other words, the route (the pairing of A & B) is not sent to "My Routes", instead, the destination (B) get sent to My Places?

2) My objective is to create a 'route' (what you identify as a .ITN file) using the web interface to MyDrive, then be able to pull that route up on my Rider 550 and navigate it. For my purposes, it is essential that it be a 'route' (.ITN file) and not a track, because when I eventually ride the route, I need the device to be able to respond to road closures, traffic, etc. and dynamically redirect me to my destination if necessary.

My understanding from what you wrote above is that if I want to create a route that starts and ends at locations I have already saved in 'My Places', I should create the route and put a sacrificial waypoint a short distance from the starting point (A to B to C), then press the 'Send Destination' button. Is this correct?

3) You mentioned choosing an option called 'Send Stops'. I don't see the choice for this option in any of the screenshots you posted above. Did you mean 'Send Destination"? If not, where is this 'Send Stops' option found?

Thank you again for your help, sorry to be slow to understand the process, I am totally new to creating routes on a TomTom.

Michael
    @YamFazMan

Thank you very much, I now understand the process. Your most recent post above was very helpful.

Michael
  • DBC58DBC58 Posts: 28 [Master Explorer]
    @YamFazMan

Thank you very much, I now understand the process. Your most recent post above was very helpful.

Michael

I really would like to use the TomTom MyDrive online route planner. However the gymnastics required to simply transfer a Route (.ITN file) from the online route planner to my Rider 550 via WiFi is just a deal killer.

Wish TomTom would explain to 550 users why we can't sync Routes (.ITN files), Tracks (.GPX files) and or both to our WiFi capable units. I use Routes almost exclusively which means MyDrive is useless for my purposes.

Been using MyRouteApp the last couple years. Can't transfer Routes (.ITN files) via WiFi but at least I can copy & paste to my Rider 550 using a USB cable between my Chromebook and the GPS.

Hi @DBC58

It's actually not all that difficult to create a route on the MyDrive web application, then transfer that route to the Rider 550 via Wi-Fi.

It's not an intuitive process, and it does require a bit of computer gymnastics, but I have done it several times in the past week whilst riding here in Tunisia.

As far as I understand (don't take this as gospel, because I am still a newbie at the process), you follow @YamFazMan 's excellent instructions above and things work out OK.

I have found that when creating a route on the web application, I need to create the start and finish point first, then insert the intermediate route stops. Once I have done that, I save the route (in the web app), then press the "send stops" button, and the route shows up on my Rider 550 if it has a Wi-Fi connection.

The one big problem I have encountered while travelling & staying in hotels is that some hotels require that you accept a "terms & conditions" before they give you internet access via their Wi-Fi network. Because the Rider 550 doesn't have a web browser, it can't present the page to enable you to accept the terms & conditions, which means you can't connect the Rider 550 to the hotel Wi-Fi network.

I wonder if it is possible to connect a Rider 550 to a computer that has an internet connection (using a USB cable), and somehow update the Rider 550 via the computer's internet connection and the USB cable?

Michel
    Superusers
    edited March 16 Accepted Answer
    Hi Michel
    @ST1300_PanEuropean

Yes you can Sync .ITN Routes from the MDW Route planner over USB
    The Sync is usually instantaneous
    You just need MyDrive Connect running in the background, ....
    Connecting over USB is normally more reliable than any Over The Air Connections
    MyDrive Connect will only show a "Splash screen" saying "Connect your device using Wifi" etc....

27bxc59f2s23.png
    If required you can close the 'Main Mydrive Window' showing the "Connect your device using Wifi" Splash screen...

Also I install all of my Map updates etc... Over USB it's much faster than over Wi-Fi....

ATB YFM

I wonder if it is possible to connect a Rider 550 to a computer that has an internet connection (using a USB cable), and somehow update the Rider 550 via the computer's internet connection and the USB cable?

For personal reasons I'm moving away from Windows and Mac and to Chrome OS (Chromebook) and Android (Smartphone).

Using the MyRouteApp, I can access my Cloud based Route library via my Android phone. MyRoteApp allows me to save Routes (ITN files) to my phone. From there I connect my phone and TomTom 550 via USB cable then copy & paste to the TomTom. No additional Route editing or work around's needed.

TomTom MyDrive Online is flawless at syncing via WiFi a Track (.GPX file) or Stops (series of waypoints). My experience is my GPS syncs within seconds. Unfortunately neither of these are particularly useful to me without additional editing and or work around's once on my GPS. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a route planner.

I'm beginning to understand that Routes you build on the TomTom Route Planner are never actual .ITN files. All TomTom Route Planner can do is download a series of closely spaced waypoints (a Track) or a series of user defined waypoints that once on your TomTom can be saved as a .iTN file with some editing and fiddling.

The more I experiment with TomTom's Route Planner I'm beginning to realize that:

The TomTom Rider 550 is designed to meet the very specific needs of motorcyclist and adventure riders (a small subset of GPS users).

The TomTom Route Planner is designed to meet automotive needs (a much larger user base with different needs).

Superusers
    edited June 4
    Hi
    @DBC58

For me .GPX tracks are totally useless...
    I would suspect they would be useless for most delivery drivers

This is a small housing estate with the route visiting 20 Cul-de-sac’s
    .ITN Route using the MDW Route planner
    The .ITN Route correctly visits ALL 20 of the Cul-de-Sac’s....

Route displayed on the MyDrive Web Route planner
    qscgh9g3vy80.png

.ITN Route using the MDW Route planner the route synced using 'Send Stops’ option
    The .ITN Route correctly visits 19 of the planned stops (The missed 1st Stop bug is fixed using a Sacrificial Stop as a Workaround)
    See original post... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1696646/#Comment_1696646

The following 3 Images... ITN Route
    pqs6r27vz6nt.jpg

t4husn6rrof2.jpg

ojbe6ftu22zq.jpg
    Using a .ITN Route the device will calculate the route between Stops (According to the Route type selected in the settings menu)

If you want to force a different route you simply add more stops
    Note...When you add the extra Stops Zoom right into the road
    Don't put the stop on the wrong side of a dual track road (Journey loop back errors)
    Don't put the stop up a side-road... It may guide you though a built-up area via side streets back to your route, instead of a u-turn
    Don't put the stop on on a traffic Island always place a guidance stop further up road on the route after the required traffic island exit....

.GPX Track using the MDW Route planner the Track synced the using the ‘Sync & Save’ option
    Image Zoomed 150% for detail....
    The missed stops/locations marked in red
    The following 3 Images... GPX Track
    22getfjtt8vk.jpg

29o3bg6zsh5n.jpg

mk4jzfdd4xiq.jpg
    ATB YFM
    YamFazMan,

I saw your original post several days ago and it was much appreciated. Gave me a much better understanding of Tracks, Routes and MDW Route Planner. Also thanks for confirming it's not just me that finds .GPX files pretty much useless.

Main reason MDW Route Planner is not practical for me is I want pre-plan say 10 different Routes and save them to my 550. Most of these Routes will be hundreds of miles from my current location.

I have to download each Route using the "send stops" feature. As soon as the stops download, my 550 automatically routes to the first waypoint hundreds of miles away. I have to manually save to "My Routes", reload that route and remove the first leg and save again to "My Routes". Then repeat the process 9 more times. Then when I'm done there is no archive copy of the .ITN files on the MDW Route Planner.

MyRouteApp allows me to build complete Routes (.ITN files) that reside on the cloud. I can then select a group of those Routes and copy them to my GPS all at once. I can also upload Routes (.ITN files) from my GPS to MyRouteApp. I'm doing this using my Chromebook or Android Phone with USB cable.

MyRouteApp has a nice folder system so it's easy for me to organize my 70 or so routes on the cloud. Makes it easy for me to download only the routes I need for a given trip so I don't have all 70 on my GPS to search through. This App also allows me to route plan in Google Maps and then convert it to TomTom before downloading to my 550.

I'm not Dissing MDW Route Planner, I realize it will work for a lot of people. For my purposes however, The paid MyRouteApp is a lot more functional and worth the price.

Superusers
    Hi
    @DBC58

I agree the MyRouteApp (Gold) is excellent I use it for .ITN Routes with 21 or more Stops...
    Here's a silly 200 Stop Route... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1627398/#Comment_1627398

ATB YFM
    YamFazMan,

Yes, I'm using MyRouteApp (Gold) since it came out and before that Tyre. So just in the last couple days have I revisited MyDrive Web Route Planner. Your explanations helped me get up to speed on what MyDrive can and can't do.

I was really hoping I could take advantage of the 550's WiFi capability to download pre-planned maps. Since MyDrive has no seamless way to create and transfer Routes (.INT files) to my Rider, I'll stick with MyRouteApp.

Thanks for your help.

Looks like I have to amend some of my earlier statements. The last day or so is the first I've spent time with Tracks on the TomTom 550. Have not actually been out on the bike but have been using the "Play Track Preview" feature on the GPS which simulates the GPS moving along the Track.

Using the TomTom MyDrive Route Planner I build a route and select "sync this route as a track with my device" as you save the route. The route is immediately available on the TomTom 550 (via WiFi) as a track which is very seamless. To load the track, from the GPS screen, select "Menu" + "My Routes" and select the desired track and it will come up on the screen. Be sure to select "Ride" from the main screen + "Menu" + "Current Track" + "Play Track Preview". As the Preview plays it will display distance to the next turn and the road name. If you fail to select "Ride" before selecting "Play Track Preview" the preview will not display distance to next turn, don't ask me why.

I also see with a track loaded, if you select "Menu" + "Current Track" you have the option to select "Ride to Track". I'm assuming if you miss a turn or get diverted off the track due to construction you can select "Ride to Track" and the GPS will calculate how to get to the closest point along the track? The GPS doesn't automatically recalculate as it does with routes but you can manually ask the GPS to get you back to the track by selecting "Menu" + "Current Track" + "Ride to Track".

Now that I've figured the above out, tracks don't seem quite as useless as they did before. I'll still have to get out on the road and work more with tracks to see how suitable they are for my purposes.
    Question:

Trying to work around the problem of transferring Routes / Tracks from MyDrive Online to the 550 GPS when WiFi is not available. Biggest problem is hotels that require acceptance of terms & conditions and the 550 does not have a web interface to allow this.

I'm using a Google Android Phone and Google Chromebook so using MyDrive Connect with USB cable is not an option. MyDrive Connect is only available for Windows and Mac PC's and no support for Android and Chrome OS.

I can connect either of my Google devices via USB cable to the 550 and have access to the 550's internal memory with a file manager. So why can't I somehow Copy a route on TomTom MyDrive and paste it to the 550's internal memory? MyDrive has a share feature but I've not been able to get that to work.

• RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 545 [Revered Pioneer]
    edited March 27
    When you connect your phone with your Rider the Routes (as Track) Places and POI files in MyDrive are automatically synced with your Rider. You also need this connection for live traffic.
    This uses 4G or WiFi from your Phone.

Here are two way's to connect Bluetooth Low Energy using the MyDrive App on your Phone or Bluetooth Tethering like the Rider 4x0.
    http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23302/~/connecting-your-phone-for-data,-hands-free-calls,-and-smartphone-messages

With an OTG cable on your Android Phone you can also transfer Routes to your Rider over USB.

And Yes tracks are not so bad. I even prefer tracks for most trips.
    Only tracks do not support Stops so a castles route is not suitable for tracks.

Unless you add many Stops a route will take a different path based on for example the route preference setting.
    When a Route is created on a different map Stop can be next to the road. With as result it will never be marked visited. So you have to skip it in the Current Route menu.

Tracks created with a different map do not have this problem. Even Track-points next to the road are mapped on the road during the loading process. This also skips u-turns in side roads when a Track-point is placed next to the road. Sadly this makes Tracks less suitable for Stops. As you can see in the example from YamFazMan all missed Stops are U-turns. (The best way is to make multiple Tracks from Stop to Stop)

I made GPX Track 2 OV2 to also show the original track-points on your Rider and Load Track to transfer tracks faster to your Rider(s) (this also includes the OV2 with track-points). But I don't have a ChromeBook version.
    Superusers
    edited March 27
    Hi
    @DBC58

Maybe a useful guide Rider 4xx/5xx "Easy route upload"
    Is there a an equivalent program like the 'Mac Android™ File Transfer you could use that supports USB MTP

My Rider 550
    g9esyvnu71d5.jpg
    The Rider 4xx/5xx will give you direct access to a small buffer/transfer area of the Rider 4xx/5xx Main Memory... You can also access your Micro SD Card, you can drag & drop your .ITN or .GPX route files directly to the Rider 4/5xx Memory buffer/transfer area or the Micro SD Memory card over a secure system
    NavCore Version 15.302
    Released on 3 July 2015
    This update applies to the Rider4xx/5xx
    With the "Easy route upload"... You can connect your TomTom Rider to your PC using a USB cable, then drag and drop your route files directly to and from your device’s memory using a file explorer program.....

The example below is my Rider 400... The Rider 550 uses the same "Easy route upload"
    (1)... Connect Your device via USB and this screen appears on the Rider 400
    c64613c2-b6ca-4088-a8c6-b2c72a2c765e.jpg
    (2)... Tap the Import route Icon and the Rider 400 connects to the secure "Easy route upload"
    185e7f17-03ea-4d08-9f20-aba2fc64aa84.jpg
    (3)... On your PC filing system you should see "Tomtom Rider 400" where you can drag and drop your route files directly into the Rider 400 main memory or the Micro SD Card
    33ce976f-93c9-4fc0-b9a3-60acf162b062.png
    (4)... If you haven't got a Memory card installed it only shows the Rider 400 Main memory
    f85105c8-9d58-41d8-9d25-0f7230a2be76.png
    (5)... Drag & drop your route files to the device or the Memory card
    d0e6ebb9-f0bc-4b56-b91a-5dda94b7b7c3.png
    (6)... When your done tap "Done"
    7b1aa1e6-2953-49e8-be7c-2158437bca5c.jpg
    Note...Mac OS X....
    TomTom Rider uses the USB Media Transfer Profile (MTP) for transferring routes. On a Mac you need to install a program that supports USB MTP, such as Android™ File Transfer.

Once the program is installed, connect your Rider 4xx/5xx to your Mac and select Import routes. This switches the device to MTP mode. Route files such as GPX and ITN can then be copied to the internal memory of your device or a memory card using the MTP program.

See Tomtom FAQ...http://au.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20584/~/how-do-i-transfer-tracks-and-routes-to-my-tomtom-rider-device

You can also use a Micro SD Card as a transfer medium

ATB YFM
    "The Rider 4xx/5xx will give you direct access to a small buffer/transfer area of the Rider 4xx/5xx Main Memory... You can also access your Micro SD Card, you can drag & drop your .ITN or .GPX route files directly to the Rider 4/5xx Memory buffer/transfer area or the Micro SD Memory card over a secure system
    NavCore Version 15.302
    Released on 3 July 2015
    This update applies to the Rider4xx/5xx
    With the "Easy route upload"... You can connect your TomTom Rider to your PC using a USB cable, then drag and drop your route files directly to and from your device’s memory using a file explorer program....."

When using the TomTom MyDrive online route planner with Chromebook or Android phone there is not option to copy an .ITN file and paste it anywhere. The Route Planner only gives you the ability to download .GPX files using WiFi or a USB cable.

You can use the "Send stops to device" option which downloads route stops to the 550 via WiFi. Problem is once the stops are downloaded to the 550 it immediately routes you to the first point.

DBC58 wrote: »
    When using the TomTom MyDrive online route planner with Chromebook or Android phone there is not option to copy an .ITN file and paste it anywhere. The Route Planner only gives you the ability to download .GPX files using WiFi or a USB cable.

You can use the "Send stops to device" option which downloads route stops to the 550 via WiFi. Problem is once the stops are downloaded to the 550 it immediately routes you to the first point.

My point above is if I'm planning a route that starts & ends hundreds of miles from my current location the GPS automatically routes to the start of the route. So when you save the route to "My Routes" on the GPS it's no longer the .ITN route you planned on MyDrive.

You have to open the route on the GPS, edit the route (remove what the GPS added to the route) and save it back to "My Routes". Too many hoops to jump through.

By comparison MyRouteApp allows me to copy and paste multiple .GPX or .ITN files at a time, between my Chromebook or Android Phone using a USB cable.
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 545 [Revered Pioneer]
    Yes. MyDive doesn’t support .ITN files.

Only .GPX , sending Stops or syncing tracks.

When your routes don’t have u-turns in them and not to manny real Stops there is nothing wrong with tracks.
    Just create for example two tracks one before and one after te lunch stop.
    At a roadblock reloading the track shows te original track again.
    When using MyDrive route planner on Google Chrome you can select "My Routes" + "Share Route" and have the single option to download a .GPX file. The file can then be copied and pasted to the GPS via USB cable.

Still don't understand why MyDrive does not offer a second option to allow downloading an .INT file? Is there a technical reason this is not possible? Just seems like if TomTom offers Download & Syncing via WiFi for .GPX files, they would do the same for .INT files.

MyDrive's biggest issue which is a deal killer, is that it cannot Sync via WiFi to the GPS or Download via USB cable .INT files to my Chromebook / Android Phone.

MyRouteApp allows me to download either file format (.GPX or .INT) and this solves the issue where the 550 is unable to logon to Hotel WiFI.

MyDrive's WiFi capability is really nice but lacks functionality if I cant transfer .INT files.
    edited March 29
    RoadRider wrote: »
    Yes. MyDive doesn’t support .ITN files.

Only .GPX , sending Stops or syncing tracks.

When your routes don’t have u-turns in them and not to manny real Stops there is nothing wrong with tracks.
    Just create for example two tracks one before and one after te lunch stop.
    At a roadblock reloading the track shows te original track again.

RoadRider,

Thanks for the additional information. I've not used Tracks in the past but will start using them this riding season to see how they compare to using Routes.
    For anyone using an Android Phone. Forgot to mention, use Google Chrome browser to access MyDrive online to download gpx files to your phone.

The MyDrive phone app does not have gpx download capability for some reason ??