Model Number not always listed. Why? — TomTom Community

Model Number not always listed. Why?

I have a Tom Tom Via 620. I have owned it for about 6 years and have always found map updates a nightmare, without exception. I avoid them as long as I can. I have a selection of Micro SD cards of varying sizes from 4GB to 32 GB and not a single one of them is accepted. They all result in a message saying the card does not work, all except the 4GB card which says that the card is empty, whatever that means. I check on the acceptable SD cards page on the web site and my model is not listed anywhere.

In the meantime, I have managed to download the latest update but the device simply will not connect to my Windows 10 PC to load it. I have followed all instructions including hard resets, PC restarts, driver re-installations, the list goes on. I use the provided USB cable. Reading similar experiences in this forum and elsewhere, one wonders how Tom Tom can still be in business.

Answers

• dhndhn Posts: 33,301
    Superusers
    a 4GB card is of no value whatsoever. Is your 32GB card from a reliable company like SanDisk or Samsung?
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 5,559
    Superuser
    HI @Buddyboy546

In addition to @dhn 's comments have you formatted the card on the Via620?

Doug
  • Buddyboy546Buddyboy546 Posts: 11 [Master Traveler]
    Thank you both for your replies. You did not say why the 4GB card is no value whatsoever since it doubles the capacity and some models recommend that size. The 16 GB card that is rejected, along with others, is a SanDisk Ultra. The others are generic. My question relates specifically to the compatible SD card pages. Why is the VIA620 not mentioned among the many there?
    https://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7957/~/compatible-memory-cards-for-map-installation
    Sorry, I should have added that the card was formatted to Fat 32 as recommended. In any case, the device rejects it after embarking on formatting it.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 5,559
    Superuser
    Hi @Buddyboy546

When you formatted it did you do a Full Format or Quick Format to Fat 32. If the latter then do it again as a Full Format..

Doug
    Thanks, Doug. I am pretty sure it was fully formatted but will repeat to ensure that is the case.
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,301
    Superusers
    The reason a 4 GB card is no good is that the application will put a map on the sd card if it finds insufficient space on internal. But it doesn't split a map between the two. So no maps are less than 4 gb in size to make it to the card.