I MAKE A ROUTE WITH MY TOMTOM RIDER 550 AND THIS CANNOT BE DONE — TomTom Community

I MAKE A ROUTE WITH MY TOMTOM RIDER 550 AND THIS CANNOT BE DONE

josetoronto9josetoronto9 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
Good afternoon.
my problem is that with mydrive, I create routes on asphalt roads, somewhat narrow, but with asphalt, and when passing them to my tomtom raider 550 this tells me this route is not possible to do.
Without the route options of my tomtom, I put it on a bicycle route, then if I read the route made. I understand that this should not be yes, because I know of several routes that to go from one population to the other is the only paved road that exists, which mydrive recognizes, but not if the browser.
Regards-

Mod edit: Machine translated(Spanish)

Answers

• ST1300_PanEuropeanST1300_PanEuropean Posts: 80 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Hello Jose:

Welcome to the forum community. I am also from Toronto.

I have posted a translation of your question below:

My problem is that with MyDrive, I create routes on asphalt roads, somewhat narrow, but with asphalt, and when passing them to my TomTom Rider 550 this tells me this route is not possible to do.

Without the route options of my TomTom, I put it on a bicycle route, then if I read the route made. I understand that this should not be yes, because I know of several routes that to go from one population to the other is the only paved road that exists, which mydrive recognizes, but not if the browser.

There could be several different reasons why you are encountering this problem, for example:

1) A road might have an interruption in it (in other words, a "break" in the continuity of the road in the electronic map) that does not exist in real life. This is a mapping error. These errors are spotted very quickly on major roads because many users see the error and report it, but they are not discovered and corrected quickly on small, less travelled roads because fewer users notice and report the error.

2) The invisible "road attributes" in the electronic map that tell the Rider the characteristics of the road - whether it is asphalt or dirt, whether it is a bicycle path or suitable for motorized vehicles (or trucks, or tall vehicles, etc.) might be incorrect. This is also a mapping error.

There is nothing you can do about the above two errors in the electronic map. They are there because probably no specialized mapping vehicle has travelled those small roads to confirm their continuity and characteristics.

What you can do to overcome the problem is to split your route in half, at about the middle point. Create two routes instead of one, where the end point of the first route is the same as the start point of the second route.

Now, transfer the two routes to your Rider 550, and see which one of the two routes "works properly", and which one still has problems. Take the route that still has problems, and split that route in half one more time. See which half works and which half has problems.

Eventually, you will discover where the electronic mapping error exists, and you can manually navigate around it.

Michael

PS: Have you checked for updated maps? TomTom just recently released new maps, it is possible that the error has been corrected in this week's release of new maps. Got to Settings on your Rider 550, and you should see an icon there called "Updates". Press that icon (when the Rider 550 is connected to Wi-Fi, of course) and see if you are offered a download of new maps.
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 728 [Revered Pioneer]
    Is your TT Rider also set to bicycle route?
    (You can also try Walking)

You can try a smaller region map.
    Small roads are not always available om the big maps.
    So the map of Iberia will contain more small roads in Spain than the Europe map.
    And even than MyDrive sometimes contains more smaller roads.

When you want to be able to see if there is any difference between the calculated route on the Rider and the original track you can use GPX Track 2 OV2 or Load Track on my website.