Rider 550 - oops - stuck on 99% loop — TomTom Community

Rider 550 - oops - stuck on 99% loop

CrmxCrmx Posts: 15 [Apprentice Traveler]
Hi,
Seen quite a bunch of failed update threads but not one exactly like mine. Anyone experience the following?
TT Rider 550 - Wifi updates.
Went to update my device - got the 'Oops can't access TomTom Services error, despite having wifi. So, I followed advice and reset the device.
Could log into mydrive with account and password, but seems not on the device. Changed password on mydrive account and it worked.
Device starting downloading and is now stuck in an infinite loop. Goes to 99% and then back to 75% for hours and hours. I can back out of that loop by plugging in the device to laptop, and starting mydrive, then unplugging the device. Device works well otherwise, just can't update or add maps. If you go to maps or update, device starts updating from 75% - 99% loop again.

Thx!
Tagged:

Answers

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,443 Moderator
    Hi @Crmx

Which exact update are you trying to install, I see that your device has the latest map and the firmware installed already.

Thanks
    Vikram :)

• CrmxCrmx Posts: 15 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi Vikram!

Not sure, as soon as I turn on the device it goes to the black screen with 2 circular arrows saying "updating". Starts at 75% and then up to 99%, then back to 75%.

Only way to stop it is to turn off internet at which point it says 'oops not internet connection' stop downloading...

Thx for your insights
    Hi @Crmx

Could you just do a soft reset and see if that changes anything?

Regards
    Vikram
    Device boots up shows me the map on startup. At the bottom left of the screen, I saw the update icon with 2 items. Didn't touch anything and device by itself went back to black screen updating at 75%

Thx
    Hi @Crmx

I asked the team to review the logs and it seems that these are the speed cameras updates.

Could you try using MyDrive Connect as an alternative? See this FAQ- https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22781

(Steps under-USING MYDRIVE CONNECT AS AN ALTERNATIVE TO A WI-FI® CONNECTION )

Thanks
    Vikram
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,741
    Superusers
    edited February 24
    Hi
    @Crmx

I would try installing this update using USB....
    Connecting hard-wired over USB is normally more reliable than any Over The Air Connections
    Updating your new device over USB will require "MyDrive Connect"
    Get it here..... https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12428
    Install and Run MyDrive Connect
    There's no need to login to MyDrive Connect... See Note... (1)
    Connect your Device to a USB Port on your PC
    The Update will hopefully complete

If your using a Laptop it would be also more advisable to use a hard-wire connection back from the Laptop to the Router....

Note... (1) MyDrive Connect will only show a "Splash screen" saying "Connect your device using Wifi" etc....

27bxc59f2s23.png
    If required you can close the 'Main Mydrive Window' showing the "Connect your device using Wifi" Splash screen... MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC TaskBar... The NAV(5 Wifi) devices have no access the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device using USB is the same as using Wi-Fi, all of the update actions are executed on the device...
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

ATB YFM
  • ST1300_PanEuropeanST1300_PanEuropean Posts: 80 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Hi @VikramK

The library of support videos that TomTom has produced - such as the one you embedded a few posts higher up in this discussion - is really excellent.

The videos are clear, concise, and easy to follow. They are very well done, and extremely helpful to a new user such as myself.

Please pass my compliments on to the folks in your organization who produce and publish these videos.

Michael
  • LochfrassLochfrass Posts: 12,880
    Superusers
    @ST1300_PanEuropean
    The library of support videos that TomTom has produced - such as the one you embedded a few posts higher up in this discussion - is really excellent.
    Michael
    Did you know this? Here are much more Videos.
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1034175/list-of-support-videos-drive
    edited February 26
    Hi @VikramK

Please pass my compliments on to the folks in your organization who produce and publish these videos.

Hi Michael,

Yes. I already shared it with the team :D when you first commented about it here

Everyone was so happy to see the positive feedback :heart:

Thank YOU,
    Vikram
    edited February 27
    VikramK wrote: »
    Hi @Crmx

I asked the team to review the logs and it seems that these are the speed cameras updates.

Could you try using MyDrive Connect as an alternative? See this FAQ- https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22781

(Steps under-USING MYDRIVE CONNECT AS AN ALTERNATIVE TO A WI-FI® CONNECTION )

Thanks
    Vikram

Hi Vikram, YamFazMan,
    Tried the above - no difference. Mydrive running, connected TT via USB and hardwire network cable. Device keeps looping between 75% and then up to 99%..

du7e3xq9fh8b.gif
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 565 [Revered Pioneer]
    You can try Recovery mode with MyDrive Connect.

RoadRider wrote: »
    You can try Recovery mode with MyDrive Connect.

Thx Roadrider.
    Had already done that recovery process.
    After the recovery, device immediately jumps back to update 75%-99% loop as soon as it gets network. It wants to perform 3 updates: Europe (8GB), Benelux, and safety camera update.

Im starting to wonder if the 2 circular white arrows with blue background starting at 75% up to 99% and back to 75% aren't just saying that the update is still running but because of the size of the update (8GB) it is just really really slow? Having a hard time believing an update would take a day or more?
    Are you sure the Recovery mode did his job?
    The timing of the three clicks can be difficult.

If it is possible to delay the update try to install a small map.
    Than delete the failed map, reboot and reinstall your map.
    (when you don't use the whole map maybe you can select a smaller map. This makes updating faster (also next time :) ))

The 2 circular white arrows with blue background indicated the update process is busy. On my Rider 550 it never goes back from 99% to 75% so after 99% the update completes.

8 Giga Byte = 64 Giga bit whit my 250Mbps internet connection the map updates takes a little bit more than half a hour.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,383
    Superuser
    edited March 1
    Hi @Crmx

When you first started the updates did you select them all or did you select just one off the list of updates offered.

If the former it may be part of the problem. Maybe @VikramK can look at the logs for your device on their servers and sort things out if necessary. Look back here Monday when he should be back on the forum to see if he has anything to advise

Doug.
    Crmx wrote: »
    I'm starting to wonder if the 2 circular white arrows with blue background starting at 75% up to 99% and back to 75% aren't just saying that the update is still running but because of the size of the update (8GB) it is just really really slow? Having a hard time believing an update would take a day or more?

@Crmx

There are a whole whack of variables involved in Wi-Fi transmission speeds - your download speed could be affected by any of the following:

- bandwidth offered by your Internet Service Provider
    - throughput your Wi-Fi router is capable of
    - distance from the router to the GPS device, and any walls in between
    - demand placed on the TomTom servers (distribution network)

When I first got my Rider 550, it was in the same room as my router (but not too close to it), and it took about an hour to do all the initial map updates. I have a fast fibre-optic connection and a new, high-end router.

This past week, when I connected the device to get the latest map updates, it took about 5 hours to update everything. The only two differences I could identify were that the device was in a different room than the router, and because the maps were a new release, every other TomTom owner in the world was also trying to download them the same day.

Best advice I can offer is to put the device in the same room as the router (but not too close to it), get the download going, then leave it overnight and check it in the morning.

For what it's worth, I've had similar experiences in the past updating Garmin maps whenever Garmin released a new update, or trying to download a new Windows release back in the days when Microsoft released new versions every 18 to 24 months.

Michael

Superusers
    edited March 2
    Hi
    Edit... Sorry for the confusion 'Crmx'
    This post was meant for Michael (ST1300_PanEuropean) in reply to the post above... Just to say, that you can check the Wi-Fi Connection Speed, Signal Strength & Quality on the device before you start the update, and to advise against installing the updates en mass, but updating the devices one update at a time....

The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices normally update using Wi-Fi....

TomTom Video... Updating your navigation device using Wi-Fi®

If you have successfully connected your device to your Wi-Fi....
    Before you start your update....
    You can check your Connection Speed, Signal Strength & Quality....
    On the Device... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on the Your Wi-fi name (The one Showing as connected)

A new Menu Page opens....
    On the left-hand side of the screen is your Wi-Fi Connection Status
    7g8gwfpx1swt.jpg
    Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Tomtom NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices will only connect to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network
    All the update actions are executed on the device...

Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Note... The latest Full Europe Map is now 9GB+

I always update my devices one Update at a time...
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are force ticked by Tomtom... Deselect any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items one at a time.
    If you choose to install the updates en mass and then if there's a problem/glitch in one of the updates, instead of waiting for only one update to time-out on the server, you will have to wait for a long queue of updates to time-out on the server....

ATB YFM
    RoadRider wrote: »
    Are you sure the Recovery mode did his job?
    The timing of the three clicks can be difficult.

If it is possible to delay the update try to install a small map.
    Than delete the failed map, reboot and reinstall your map.
    (when you don't use the whole map maybe you can select a smaller map. This makes updating faster (also next time :) ))

The 2 circular white arrows with blue background indicated the update process is busy. On my Rider 550 it never goes back from 99% to 75% so after 99% the update completes.

8 Giga Byte = 64 Giga bit whit my 250Mbps internet connection the map updates takes a little bit more than half a hour.

@RoadRider , thanks for your insights.
    As soon as the device picks up a network it starts downloading. It wants to download a benelux map update 327MB, A Europe map update 8.76GB and a safety camera update. If I turn off the sliders for a specific update it goes to to circle arrows again.
    Next time I look at the update screen it shows all updates on for downloading again. I can't seem to influence which updates to take and which ones to leave..

qk3zomabsjp9.jpg

Just tried to delete the Europe map on the device thinking it may be corrupt - device has been deleting for 30+ minutes now and still going...

Thx!
    @YamFazMan , @ST1300_PanEuropean ,
    Thank you for the info, but I'm not using the WIFI. Using USB connection to laptop running mydrive with Hardwire internet connection.

Grts
    M
    @Crmx -

You wrote "I'm not using Wi-Fi".

That might be the cause of your problem. To the best of my knowledge, the Rider 550 is designed to update itself via a direct Wi-Fi connection (in other words, the Rider 550 is connected to a Wi-Fi enabled router). The device is not designed to update via a USB cable connection to a computer.

If you don't have a Wi-Fi connection available in your home, perhaps take your device to a friend's home where there is a Wi-Fi connection available, and connect there. If this is the first time you will be making a direct Wi-Fi connection with the device, you may need to "log in" on the device with your MyDrive account name and password, so bring that info with you.

I don't recommend that you try to make your Wi-Fi connection at a public hotspot like a coffee shop or similar, because those locations often require that you accept an agreement before the connection is made, and I don't know if the device is capable of displaying and negotiating that log-in agreement. You want to find a Wi-Fi connection where all you need to do is enter the password for the Wi-Fi router.

Michael
    Superusers
    edited March 2
    Hi Michael
    @ST1300_PanEuropean

You CAN update NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices over USB....
    See My earlier post in this thread,,,, https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1694525/#Comment_1694525

ATB YFM
    Superusers
    edited March 2
    Hi
    @Crmx
    Sorry for the confusion....
    The post was meant for Michael (ST1300_PanEuropean)
    To say that, on the NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices you can You can check your Wi-Fi Connection Speed, Signal Strength & Quality on the device before you start the update...

ATB YFM
    @ST1300_PanEuropean , thank you, but whether I use WIFI or Network cable the results are the same. TomTom support basically told me to keep the device plugged in on Laptop with hardwire network cable. After 48 hours of alternating between 75% and 99% update - still no joy.

@roadrider, I've done what you suggested a couple more times meanwhile: to "recover" the device. Recovery works fine, Mydrive software nicely indicates it is recovering the device and when finished the device shows me the map and is fully operational. However, as soon as the device picks up a network (USB or Wifi) it will start 'updating' and alternating between 75-99%. The only way for me to force it to stop is to stop the internet connection.

@VikramK, I'm also noticing that the Mydrive software 'never downloads anything" - there is nothing in the download folder.
    Also, when I check network traffic, I see traffic as long as the device is updating between 75 & 99%, but once it hits 99% all network activity stops...

The device is intent on downloading the 3 updates: Europe, Benelux and Safety Camera. When I sometimes get the chance to turn off the sliders for those updates, the device ignores that and updates anyway.

I've tried switching to the Benelux map and then 'deleting' the large Europe map, but it won't delete anything without a network connection. Once it picks up the network and I hit delete - the device shows a turning white arrow/circle with the word deleting and kept 'deleting' for a couple of hours - till I stopped it.

I'm running out of ideas, and really don't want to believe that I need to keep this thing alternating between 75-99% for a week....

Any insights appreciated....
    I had a problem updating my map after I changed the language from English to Dutch. After downloading te map again my Rider 550 did tel me the map was corrupted. After downloading and switching to the the Benelux map I could remove the Western Europe Map.

The only other option I can't think of is resetting the unit to Factory and assign it to a new MyDrive account.

But I think its better to ask if @VikramK can help you at the backend side.

As last option you can to send your unit to TomTom for repair.
    Hi @Crmx

I asked the team to review the log again and it seems to be a case where multiple updates are stuck in the queue.

It also seems that there are different updates you are trying to download all at the same time.

Are you able to stop the updates? do a soft reset and check again.

When updates are offered select one update at a time and proceed with the installation.

Regards
    Vikram
    edited March 3
    @VikramK ,
    Thanks for your input. I'm afraid I am not able to stop the updates. I have reset and recovered the device multiple times and as soon as the device picks up a network it starts updating. The only moment I can see the screen with the turn on/off updates sliders is immediately after I switch of network - then the update screen briefly shows up. When I navigate back to the update screen, device tells me I must connect to WIFI or USB first... and thus restarts the loop...
    I'm really wondering how the device keeps remembering it was getting updated even after hard and soft resets...
    Thx!!