Slow download speeds again — TomTom Community

Slow download speeds again

BrianEBrianE Posts: 545 [Exalted Navigator]
edited February 2020 in Map installation
The download speeds for the new maps is once again still very slow. I'm getting less than 10% of the speed that other downloads normally take. I started the current download for the European camper map about 20 minutes ago and it's still only reached 22%, so still way below what I should be getting.hacmqzoscov5.png

Comments

• RogertheRed12RogertheRed12 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I downloaded the latest maps update and it took 10 hours despite wi-fi connection speed of over 50mbps. Absolutely ridiculous and spoils what is otherwise an excellent device.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,964
    Superuser
    Hi @RogertheRed12

Maybe because everyone else was updating at the same time as soon as the new map versions were out. I try to do the downloads when Europe is likely to be asleep and the demand on the servers is quieter.

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,431
    Superusers
    edited March 2020
    Hi
    @RogertheRed12
    Welcome to the site
    TomTom Video... Updating your navigation device using Wi-Fi®

If you have successfully connected your device to your Wi-Fi....

Before you start your update....
    You can check your Connection Speed, Signal Strength & Quality....
    On the Device... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on the Your Wi-fi name (The one Showing as connected)

A new Menu Page opens....
    On the left-hand side of the screen is your Wi-Fi Connection Status
    7g8gwfpx1swt.jpg
    Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Tomtom NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices will only connect to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network
    All the update actions are executed on the device...

Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Note... The latest Full Europe Map is now 9GB+

I always update my devices one Update at a time...
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are force ticked by Tomtom... Deselect any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items one at a time.
    If you choose to install the updates en mass and then if there's a problem/glitch in one of the updates, instead of waiting for only one update to time-out on the server, you will have to wait for a long queue of updates to time-out on the server....

ATB YFM
  • Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 240 [Exalted Navigator]
    @RogertheRed12 @DougLap

Whilst some forum users report they get consistent quick download times of maps, I find along with many others every quarter we get map updates the download times varies wildly. My broadband download speed however is very consistent at ~ 70MB.

I guess it is to be expected that the demand on the Tomtom servers will be greatest on the day or the few days following the map release date?

This time around I said I would not download on release day, given that it took me over 5 hours last quarter, but I wanted to see if Tomtom had cured the crazy map routing errors on my Go Camper maps ..................... sadly the errors are still persisting and this issue gets added to my ever growing list of annoyances with Tomtom! :s

This time downloading the Go Camper Europe map mid-morning on release day it took 3 hours :'(

Later that day I tried updating a Go Premium X Europe map but cancelled the update as it had only completed 3% after one hour (do the maths!) and following Doug's advice I downloaded the same map at about 1am 2 days later and although I did not time it with a stop watch it had already finished when I checked back some 21 minutes later. :)

It really is a Tomtom lottery in my experiences as to map update download times, but try downloading in the early hours of the morning a few days after a map release date to see if that improves matters for you.