MYDRIVE CONNECT GET UPDATESD tHE EASY WAY -I DONT WANT TO !!! — TomTom Community

MYDRIVE CONNECT GET UPDATESD tHE EASY WAY -I DONT WANT TO !!!

I get the popup and sometimes the "got it " button but nothing will shift it
I need to get my POIs onto the new satnav which I have stored on the win 7 PC.
PLEASE dont tell me the go basic will not do 3rd party poi !!!

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,704
    Superuser
    Hi @MARTINARTHURKING

Yes you can add your own 3rd party POI files to your Go Basic. You need to go to the My Drive webpage and log in. You cannot add the .bmp files that gave the specific images for the POI positions on the Map.

Here is a video that explains what to do.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1034225/how-to-import-pois-gpx-files-and-favourites-in-mydrive/p1?new=1

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,987
    Superusers
    Hi
    @MARTINARTHURKING

Installing 3rd party POI Categories... You use the MyDrive Web Route planner
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1691632/#Comment_1691632

ATB YFM
  • MARTINARTHURKINGMARTINARTHURKING Posts: 20 [Master Explorer]
    Thanks guys but this doesn't help at all.
    I have already uploaded the poi category to the web planner but need to use My drive Connect to sync it to the device
    I cannot get past the popup saying"update the easy way" I need to use the usb cable.
    Fully updated Win 7 with latest release of My Drive Connect
    Also fully updated Win 8 with same issue.
    The device claims to be fully updated too.

Perhaps I should have upgraded to a Garmin and send this thing back.....
    Superuser
    edited February 2020
    Hi @Martinarthurking.

The GO Basic does not need a PC with My Drive Connect software running to update etc unless you Wifi is slowish or you have a fully wired system ie No Wifi. You only connect the unit to the PC in those circumstances to get access to the internet via your PC but even then when you get the Do It the Easy Way screen you leave the PC alone and use the menu options in the GO Basic to manage the updating etc.

Having loaded the POI files to your account via the My Drive Website then when the GO Basic is connected check on the GO Basic in Settings/Mydrive that it is saying Stop Syncing in the bottom Right hand corner. Do not touch this as if it is saying that then it should be downloading the data, ie the POI files , from your account and you will see them listed in My Places on the GO Basic.

Also if you are able to connect your unit to your Phone for Traffic then when you are connected it should also Sync the POI files to your Basic that way when you are out of range of your Wifi. If you have a problem at the moment because you have an Apple phone with ios13 on it then connect the Phone to your Basic via the Phones Hotspot if it has one.

Doug
    Superusers
    edited February 2020
    Hi
    @MARTINARTHURKING

The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices like you’re Go Basic normally update using Wi-Fi...

If you want to Transfer/Sync your POI files over USB...
    See Option... (2) Connect over USB

If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    See Option... (2) Connect over USB

TomTom Video....
    How to import POIs, GPX files and Favourites in MyDrive

Option... (1) Connected Wi-Fi
    On your GO Basic Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> MyDrive... Login using your Tomtom Account Email & Password, This allows the POI Data to AUTOMATICALLY sync to your GO Basic using WI-FI

See my previous post to set-up a Wi-Fi connection on your GO Basic
    On the GO Basic....
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1690127/#Comment_1690127
    Note... NAV(5 Wifi) devices connected over Wifi do not require MyDrive Connect to be running Even if myDrive is running you have no access the MyDrive Connect menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices

Option... (2) Connected USB
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Transferring/Syncing your POI Files to your GO Basic over USB will require "MyDrive Connect"
    Get it here.....
    www.tomtom.com/getstarted
    Run MyDrive Connect.....
    Note... The NAV(5 Wifi) devices have no access the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices
    Connect your Device to a USB Port on your PC
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device using USB is the same as using Wi-Fi, all of the update actions are executed on the device...
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> MyDrive... Login using your Tomtom Account Email & Password, This allows the POI Data to sync AUTOMATICALLY over USB to your GO Basic

Note... MyDrive Connect will only show a "Splash screen" saying "Connect your device using Wifi" etc
    If required you can close the 'Main Mydrive Window' showing the "Connect your device using Wifi" Splash screen... MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC TaskBar

27bxc59f2s23.png
    ATB YFM
    Got it thanks,
    However the device reports NO POI when any of my own pois are searched for
    The Category is listed in MY Places
    This ov2 FILE also is on my Start 60 and works fine with over 7000 places listed
    What have I done wrong?
    Superuser
    Hi @MARTINARTHURKING

Tap Menu
    Tap My Places
    Tap the POI file you want to search
    You now get a Search page with the name of the POI file in Blue at the top and a column under it starting with the nearest POI to you in the file you are searching.

If you type the name of a town next to where the POI file name appears at the top you will now get a list of the POI's in that town.
    If you Tap the Map Icon Top Right you can select to search

Whole Map
    Near Me
    In a Town or City

If you Tap the Keyboard Icon bottom Right the keyboard disappears and you can scroll through the list if there is one.

Also if you

Tap Menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap Appearance
    Tap Show POI List on the Map
    You can scroll through the list of POI files and select those that you want to see on the map. You have to Tap Hide and Change to Show. When you do this you will get offered 5 generic icons that you can select for a POI .

When you see the icon on the map you can Tap the icon and get information of what the icon covers.

Doug

Superusers
    edited February 2020
    Hi
    @MARTINARTHURKING

Displaying Personal POIs on the Driving View/Map

Be aware... You can't install the POI associated .BMP files
    You can only use the 5 Tomtom supplied generic Icons....

13s1zlb8gssy.jpg
    But you can use one icon for for more than one POI category i.e... place all your fuel categories under one Icon, then if you tap on a nearby 'say' Fuel Icon a Quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot Icon for more options & more Information

Setup... After installing your Personal or 3rd party POIs....Tap 4Dot (....Menu) --> Settings --> Appearance --> Show POI lists on the Map
    It says a restart is required, but I've never found it to be necessary
    After choosing the Generic Icon.. Tap the coloured (^) Icon screen top right... Pinch zoom the Map, the Generic POI Icons all appear live and working
    Note... The Generic POI Icons disappear when the Map is highly zoomed out (I guess so you can scroll around a clear Map to find your location)
    The Icon reappear as you zoom back in again

Here the Yellow Pentagon Icons --> National Trust
    fwsmyemsot57.jpg

Searching an installed 3rd party POI Category....

The search engine is excellent you usually only need to type around three characters of the POI name for a hit...
    For example... I have loaded the 3rd party POI's for the National Trust... To show the POI's for "National Trust" on the map, work your way down to option (2)

From the main screen
    Tap (....)4Dot Icon (Screen Bottom left)
    Swipe left or Tap the mid/right edge of the screen to go to and tap the MyPlaces Icon
    Scroll down and select the required POI Category For example "National Trust"
    You now have three options
    The Main search area turns blue and "National Trust" is offered with a flashing cursor
    Continue typing the name of the required "National Trust" site, Type Dud (Or as much of the word that's required for Dudmaston Hall appear at the top of the National trust list)
    Tap on the offered Dudmaston Hall and select the Drive Icon

fvvl1hj389eu.jpg
    You also have two further options.....
    After the initial "National Trust" POI selection
    There's a dual Icon (screen bottom right) with Three Lines and Two circles

o7rx4qycdyey.jpg
    (1)..... Tap the three Lines Icon (bottom right screen) and a list will appear of the "National Trust" sites in distance order
    (2)...... Tap the Two circle Icon for the "National Trust" sites POI's to appear on the screen (Pinch zoom for detail) (Note..... On the Start range its easier to tap the plus and minus buttons to zoom the map screen)
    as far as I'm aware it will show the nearest 60ish POI's around your location
    There is also a Keyboard Icon (screen bottom right) to return to the search window from the options (1) and (2)

An example of the generic Icons on the search screen, the Icons are dynamic so the closer you zoom more icons appear

j381fa0ut3qg.jpg
    ATB YFM
    Superusers
    edited February 2020
    Hi
    @MARTINARTHURKING

Also... If the POI Categories are transferred from an older Tomtom device or maybe a Website offering older POI Categories... Some POI files that worked on the older Tomtom models do not show on the latest NAV4 & NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices
    If you Load and then Save the POI file to/from the online POI editor...
    http://www.poieditor.com/
    As far as I'm aware it changes/updates the POI file header

Also, try loading the file into Softops POI editor... If it's an iffy file it usually won't load
    the free version of Softops POI editor
    Download SoftTop Tomtom POI Editor to a folder on your desktop; open the folder and un-zip the file.
    My Dropbox account... https://www.dropbox.com/sh/przt4eetzpp4oqf/AAB6X7RjTBilT-xH3p85p0X2a?dl=0
    File checked virus free....
    Using Avast Virus Check & Malware Bytes Virus Check

Note...I think the development SoftTop POI editor has stopped as you can no longer access Google Earth or Maps from within the program and the author does not reply to Email

ATB YFM
    Thanks again guys but no luck
    I was already using softop for my start 60
    Ive deleted the category from MY DRive ,restarted the device and PC,then restarted and imported again.
    With softop I can "Open Device" and there is the category and it will open with all 7120 of my pois present on the Go BASIc
    The category is present in MY PLaces
    I have assigned the green square icon to it.
    The display is set to show the categorys pois on screen
    No green squares are shown on the map
    When a search of the category is performed with a part or full name the engine reports NO POIs found
    Anything else before its returned to Amazon!
    Superusers
    Hi
    @MARTINARTHURKING

Did you try the POI Editor Load and then Save trick it's worked for others in the past ???

If the POI Categories are transferred from an older Tomtom device or maybe a Website offering older POI Categories... Some POI files that worked on the older Tomtom models do not show on the latest NAV4 & NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices
    If you Load and then Save the POI file to/from the online POI editor...
    http://www.poieditor.com/
    As far as I'm aware it changes/updates the POI file header

ATB YFM
    Thanks Yzm

I have imported /exported the ov2 with Softop and the Full 7000 points at around 270kb are all still there
    My drive shows the same file size and imported them to the satnav but it it won't show the green diamonds or allow me to search them
    I also ran the file through that online editor but it only exported around 2000 points / 90 kb
    What is wrong!!!!!