TomTom 5100 No GPRS or Taffic Services — TomTom Community

TomTom 5100 No GPRS or Taffic Services

My 5100 suddenly stopped receiving data and showed 'disconnected' in the GPRS menu. A SIM card fault can be confirmed by checking to see if a SIM ID is shown in the 'About' menu on the SatNav. If not then the SIM is either faulty or has lost connection. A connection can be lost if the terminals have a poor contact which happens over time. So, I carefully opened the device and managed to slide the SIM a few mm's back and forth in the SIM carrier. This broke down the poor contact and hey presto! The GPRS signal was restored. If TT are selling products with lifetime services included, they should at least offer free SIM repairs, or design the device with a simple external slot so customers can remove and clean the SIM card. A good product but yet again let down by TT customer service!!

Comments

• Alan352Alan352 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    105 Euros saved... Excessive charge for a 10 minute SIM check I suggest...
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,121
    Superusers
    edited May 17
    Hi
    @Alan352

The GO 5100 is a NAV4 device, there is no need to disassemble the device....
    If you hold your GO 5100 Upside-down i.e.... the connections at the top and with the screen facing away from you, the SIM is under the CE sticker to the left of the Micro USB port....
    With the device turned OFF...
    Carefully remove the sticker... Its advisable to use Antistatic precautions when handling the SIM... You will need a pair of fine pointed tweezers to remove the SIM
    If you pull-out the SIM a little way, and reinsert it, repeat this a few times, it should now remake a good connection
    Note: On the GO 5100 when reinserting the SIM have the contacts facing away from the screen (Note... This may differ on other models)
    I used double-sided sticky tape to replace the the CE sticker

The above will void your Tomtom guarantee....
    All of the usual disclaimers apply, all of the above is at your own discretion

ATB YFM