New TomTom GO Navigation App (Android) - Page 6 — TomTom Community

New TomTom GO Navigation App (Android)

Comments

• kyurloityuitgkyurloityuitg Posts: 10 [Legendary Explorer]
    Guess it's another way of showing TT that releasing a new version with less functionality is not a way to satisfy their customers.
    Sure we can use other platforms, but then TT doesn't know the reason why other apps are preferred above their own.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not against changes as long as things improve.
    However, currently there is no improvement at all.
  • tgoldtgold Posts: 2,141 [Exalted Pioneer]
    However, currently there is no improvement at all.
    The weekly incremental map updates made possibly by the NDS mapping is a definite improvement.

Disagree with that.
    Roads do not change significantly on a weekly base. An update every 3-4 months is sufficient.
    Even TT had the same opinion. In the past (pnd's running navcore) there used to be weekly map updates. But TT stopped this as it was considered unnecessary.
  • Oskar-2Oskar-2 Posts: 1,632 [Revered Voyager]
    Basically weekly map updates are just a byproduct for all NDS map users except for those relying on them for their (semi-) autonomous driving. So it's made for them exclusively but as a normal TomTom user why not benefit from that? He/she who doesn't want to update can always steer clear of them.

Nobody should dare to believe that TomTom would have invested any penny for anything else but their big and only hope to survive the future!

And because of that, @kyurloityuitg, I disagree with you! ;)
  • schneidernetschneidernet Posts: 232 [Revered Navigator]
    edited February 3
    Respect? I've given them something like two decades of RESPECT and money with an iPAQ, stand-alones, and now Android. Many of us use it for work and find POI's, Routes, user-friendliness, and visibility important. We do NOT want to leave but are being forced to hedge our bets if TT continues on with 2.0.whatever.

For me the version being replaced is stable, user-friendly, and a versatile work horse. I do not understand why they chose to put it down.

I have Sygic, CoPilot, Here (all paid) and Waze, Google, Via Michelin and I imagine some other obscure apps hiding on my phone. Tried some suggestions here but none are replacements for TT 1.18.1.

Right now I'm not giving up on 1.18.1 until they pry it from my cold dead hands. The "update available" nag is sure getting annoying though.
    Disagree with that.
    Roads do not change significantly on a weekly base. An update every 3-4 months is sufficient.
    Even TT had the same opinion. In the past (pnd's running navcore) there used to be weekly map updates. But TT stopped this as it was considered unnecessary.
    You may be correctly describing the rate of change of roads in places with which you are familiar but that is quite wrong where I live and where there is constant construction of new roads along with associated temporary and permanent changes to access entries and exits of highways.

• KomarekKomarek Posts: 17 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I just hope this thread will be analyzed by the app team... ;)
    @tgold : What I normally see is that new roads are already on the map during the construction phase. Same for new exits etc. Some roads are on the map 2 years prior to opening.
    The 'traffic' option in the app ensures that these new to build roads are not taken into account in the route calculation, they are marked as being closed.
    Same for closed existing roads, this is all covered by traffic.

What I also observe is that some changes never make it to new maps, i.e. near to my house a junction was changed into a roundabout 10 years ago, couple of streets were made 1 direction, but this was never changed in new maps.
    A weekly map update doesn't change this.
    To support and supplement the "new" TomTom's absence of POI support, an app called POI pocket shows potential to fill the void. Not as convenient as 1.18.1 but workable.

And remember, you can manually drag .ov2 files to the POIS directory and 2.0.? will use them. At list, 2.0.1 would. I have not used it since.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.las.poipocket

Googgle Contacts seems to now support "intents" to pass "locations" to 1.18.1. Again haven't tried on 2.0.? as need TT for work.
    edited February 4
    POI pocket seems to be a nice workaround (only played with it for 5 minutes)

Manually dragging *.OV2 files to the POI directory doesn't work for me (v2.0.5) as the folder contents of com.tomtom.gplay.navapps.nds\files\ is hidden.
    (used to work for v1.18.1)

Is your phone rooted?
  • iojiioji Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Manually dragging *.OV2 files to the POI directory doesn't work for me (v2.0.5) as the folder contents of com.tomtom.gplay.navapps.nds\files\ is hidden.

There is a workaround: before installing NDS version, fill your internal memory with some files, let free just 200-500MB. The apk will install on external memory and you will find all files in android/data. I did it for changing the voice because the original voice in my language is terrible....Just try it, it works.

Thanks for the tip. My 1.18.1 was on the card so I had no issues. Nice to know for the future.

Dear TT, take it tip from above. Let the user decide where to install your app.

Is your phone rooted?

No root. Try an on board file manager. FX has a button to "Show Hidden".

Is your phone rooted?

So does Moto File manager.

Is your phone rooted?

So does Moto File manager.

As does Solid Explorer.
  • AsprinAsprin Posts: 271 [Supreme Pioneer]
    @schneidernet,

You spend a lot of time tooting your horn here.

4 posts in a row which could be put into one.

We all know your attitude abut the new version.

Let TomTom work out the bugs already.

It is new and has not been released to everyone yet.

But you go on and on and on about it.

Enough is enough from you.
    edited February 5
    In what way does offering pointers to several file managers that can help to install POI files into a hidden folder amount to going on and on about bugs?
  • AsprinAsprin Posts: 271 [Supreme Pioneer]
    edited February 5
    @tgold,

3 posts that could be put into one post about file mgr.

Plus even if you do get the poi's in you will not see them on the screen.

So what is the point of even trying to have them installed.

There is enough info inside the app that you can turn on or off in regards to POI's

Why would you even if TomTomGo could show the external POI's.

You will wind up with 2 icons showing the same POI.

A wastes of time to fill the screen with double poi's of the same items.

The poi's that are in TomTomGo cover 99% of things user's might need.

And I use the term might need.

There is far to much boo hooing going on about the new TomTomGo app.

Let TomTom work out the bugs in the new app.

User's spend a lot of time wanting a new app for a very long time.

Now that TomTom is trying to do something about it.

And yes they have their problems with it.

But they will be worked out.

User's need to take it a little easy with TomTom.

Like I said this new app has not be released on a globe level yet.

If it takes another couple of months so be it.

TomTom let you know the new app was coming.

Every user's had the chance to turn of the update if they were going to be effected.

But no they all let it be installed and now jump up and down about the problems.

There is a beta program any user could sign up for to test he new app.

You and every one else knows when some new change in an app comes along there will be problems.

There is no big surprises here it has happened with every GPS app that has come along including app's from other companies.

When the time comes that they have fulling released this new TomTomGo app I then will install it but not before.
  • KomarekKomarek Posts: 17 [Outstanding Explorer]
    @Asprin

We're jumping up cause we paid for. Just enough.
    Asprin wrote: »
    @tgold,.....
    The poi's that are in TomTomGo cover 99% of things user's might need.

And I use the term might need.
    You have no idea about which poi's I need, so does TT.
    Hence the necessity for 3rd party poi's.
    If you don't need them, good for you, but please realise that everybody has different needs.
    edited February 5
    I live in NC. We have LOTS of hog farms and processors. Say I'm "piggy-to-market" broker. I'm not. But if I was and my job was to visit farms and processors, I would have a "custom" POI database in my nav app that would get me too them, between them, and back home. I also might want all McDonald's locations as they have consistently clean bathrooms. I might also be fond of Dunkin Donuts. My "personal" list could be quite large and not contain ANY of the POI's included with TT. Sorry, I just ain't no 99%'er. Also, sorry I don't fit in with someone else's world view.
  • iojiioji Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]

Doesn't work this, no matter what file manager you use.
  • ReTechNLReTechNL Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Oke, I must say something. Currently I am using the new tomtom app for about a month now. Went on vacation Holland to Italy and back (2400km in total) and daily work traffic on a busy highway 100km a day.
    I noticed a few bugs during those travels and I will make a report off them. But overall I am satisfied about the new app. I am what you could call a normal user who has been using the Tomtom app's for as long as they existed. Overall I am satisfied with the new app. I hope they will fix all the reported bugs and missing features.
  • SialorSialor Posts: 9 [Apprentice Traveler]
    v2.0.5. I found out before the trip that the search on the map of Belarus is not working. Please pay attention to the developers!
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online in this Category1

tgold
tgold