QuickGPSFix — TomTom Community

QuickGPSFix

QuickGPSFix: is that a one and done update, regardless of when you update? I have noticed that if I update QuickGPSFix and go back and hit "Update my START Series" again, another QuickGPSFix with a different version number appears in the update list. I've updated my device repeatedly in one setting, each one with an increasing version number; I'm up to ver. 1581183773, do I have to update for each ~week since my last update of my TT START (as data in QuickGPSFix is good for 7 days)? If so, what is most recent QuickGPSFix version?

Best Answers

• tiljestiljes Posts: 249 [Exalted Navigator]
    Accepted Answer
    QuickGPSFix data is updated every few seconds and is valid for ~1 week from then. The version number (1581183773) represents a date and time in unix time format (the one mentioned equates to Feb 8, 2020, ~6 pm).

It's always been like this that you will be offered a recent QuickGPSFix version upon each search for updates. I agree it would be a bit "nicer" if TTHome would only offer it one time per session...but anyways, it is like it is and has been like this forever. You can just skip the update if you have just done it previously.

And actually, I feel like QuickGPSFix is rarely needed. I get fast enough GPS fix even without it.

Answers

• MTMT Posts: 12 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Doug, greetings and thanks for the reply.

I too would expect to have to update only once per TTHome session if the description of the QuickGPSFix update is accurate. If the file is truly only an aid to the viewable GPS satellites for the next 7 days, to help the TT device more quickly identify & sync to the GPS system, then yes, one update should do it.

Why I get a new update (with a different version # each time) every time I hit "Update my START" in the same TTHome session is beyond me LOL. The version number is probably telling somebody something, but no idea.

However, it's not that critical to me so I probably will not call TT. I travel only 4 or 5 times a year that I take my TT (because of the traffic updates, albeit the old method of FM subcarrier broadcast signals), so not having the most current QuickGPSFix only costs me a few minutes (vs. seconds) until the TT syncs to the GPS system.

Thanks again & best regards.
  • tiljestiljes Posts: 249 [Exalted Navigator]
    Accepted Answer
    QuickGPSFix data is updated every few seconds and is valid for ~1 week from then. The version number (1581183773) represents a date and time in unix time format (the one mentioned equates to Feb 8, 2020, ~6 pm).

It's always been like this that you will be offered a recent QuickGPSFix version upon each search for updates. I agree it would be a bit "nicer" if TTHome would only offer it one time per session...but anyways, it is like it is and has been like this forever. You can just skip the update if you have just done it previously.

And actually, I feel like QuickGPSFix is rarely needed. I get fast enough GPS fix even without it.
  • MTMT Posts: 12 [Apprentice Traveler]
    tiljes: most insightful answer I've seen, and makes perfect sense.

I tend to agree about the need for QuickGPSFix. Considering the original purpose of the GPS system, for U.S. military operations around the world, plus the addition of more satellites since inception, I would suspect that any user in the middle latitudes (N &S) would acquire sufficient GPS satellites rather quickly, suitable for ground navigation.

Thanks for the info; very good answer!