New TomTom GO Navigation App (Android) - Page 5 — TomTom Community

New TomTom GO Navigation App (Android)

Comments

• lsantaslsantas Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I believe that since Huawei made deal with TomTom to be alternative for Google maps TomTom will not pay so much attention on its own apps anymore...
  • AsprinAsprin Posts: 271 [Supreme Pioneer]
    @lsantas,

How did you come to that conclusion????

Some more fake news to spread around.
  • miki_MBmiki_MB Posts: 15 [Outstanding Explorer]
    edited January 2020
    More (negative) things I have noticed comparing to v1.18:

3D objects are all general ones, no specific detailed buildings presence. I was driving through Vienna, and in the old app some buildings were quite detailed not generic ones like in new one.

Traffic is a step back imo, in old version you had those "balloons" with number representing queue/stop in minutes, now you need too zoom in all the way to get this info, otherwise you just see a traffic strip.

Not sure why it's not possible to have alternative routes displayed immediately like in most apps, you need to go through the menu to get this. It's not very intuitive approach (but this was also in old version).

POI - aside from ridiculous limit of 5 categories (that's unique as I don't know any other app with such limitation), poi icons are so big that they clutter map completely, not the best implementation.

Being bombarded with "new app is coming" message by TomTom for months, I was quite excited that finally something completely new is coming, something really amazing, something wow... In reality, there was a lot of fuss about nothing, single maps and nice lane guidance?! It could easily be v1.19

• fabiofi17fabiofi17 Posts: 47 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    edited January 2020
    miki_MB wrote: »
    More (negative) things I have noticed comparing to v1.18:

3D objects are all general ones, no specific detailed buildings presence. I was driving through Vienna, and in the old app some buildings were quite detailed not generic ones like in new one.

Traffic is a step back imo, in old version you had those "balloons" with number representing queue/stop in minutes, now you need too zoom in all the way to get this info, otherwise you just see a traffic strip.

Not sure why it's not possible to have alternative routes displayed immediately like in most apps, you need to go through the menu to get this. It's not very intuitive approach (but this was also in old version).

POI - aside from ridiculous limit of 5 categories (that's unique as I don't know any other app with such limitation), poi icons are so big that they clutter map completely, not the best implementation.

Being bombarded with "new app is coming" message by TomTom for months, I was quite excited that finally something completely new is coming, something really amazing, something wow... In reality, there was a lot of fuss about nothing, single maps and nice lane guidance?! It could easily be v1.19

i totally agree, expecially for the BIG BIG BIG STEP BACK about traffic events visualization on 2D map and in 3D driving...

It is so bad. :(

For the traffic events on map (2d/3d) Tomtom AmiGO is 10 times better....

Why Amigo (free and lite app) is better than TomTom Navigation?!?
    edited January 2020
    Why TomTom go Navigation App don't have those simple, USEFULL and beautiful traffic events icons (traffic/accidents/works) ?!?!?

AmiGo has them, and TomTom Navigation App NOT.....Whyy?!?

s8j5xm5l04uy.jpg

• MJJBMJJB Posts: 11 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited January 2020
    I currently still have release 1.18 (2169) Canada. I have had "lots" of notifications that my upgrade is coming.

I am wondering what is the best way on my android Samsung S10 to STOP this upgrade to my phone? So I don't have to re-install the .apk.

If I do the following "Settings > APPS > GO > Notifications > App updates (turn off)"
    will this stop the upgrade?

My 3 year licence ends in April and I'm thinking NOT renewing after I reading all the issues and complaints of this new upgrade.

Do we know how long the maps will be made available for the old release?
    Thx
  • tgoldtgold Posts: 2,190 [Revered Voyager]
    edited January 2020
    There is no need nor benefit from changing the notifications. To prevent unwanted updates start the Play Store app and after selecting "My apps and games" check that Auto-update is turned off. Then whenever you get notifications of new apps just select the ones you wish to accept and ignore the offered updates you wish to skip.
  • Oskar-2Oskar-2 Posts: 1,632 [Revered Voyager]
    MJJB wrote: »
    Do we know how long the maps will be made available for the old release?
    Just my nearly 15 years experience with TomTom tell me that it's extreme unlikely that you'll get an answer by any staff member to nail her/him down on that! ;)

• Andy_BushmanAndy_Bushman Posts: 12 [Legendary Explorer]
    Thankfully my TomTom Go has not been upgraded to the new version yet (sorry for the pain some of you are going through in beta testing for the new version).. I am currently looking for alternative navigation apps based on all the issues with the new app I am reading. I did used to use Sygic so may go back to that. Does anyone have any other recommendations for TomTom alternatives?
    The REAL problem of TomTom is that tomtom DON'T LISTEN USERS SUGGESTIONS, expecially who USE GPS FOR WORK.
    (sorry for the pain some of you are going through in beta testing for the new version)
    "I can never regret. I can feel sorrow, but it's not the same thing." ;)

• schneidschneid Posts: 16 [Master Explorer]
    tgold wrote: »
    There is no need nor benefit from changing the notifications. To prevent unwanted updates start the Play Store app and after selecting "My apps and games" check that Auto-update is turned off. Then whenever you get notifications of new apps just select the ones you wish to accept and ignore the offered updates you wish to skip.

Just like selecting maps in the new version. Pick them one at a time rather than Update All.

• lampardlampard Posts: 5,712 Moderator
    Hi there,

Thank you very much for your feedback so far! Rest assured, we're listening to all of them and you'll see this with upcoming updates this year.

We will continue to support GO Mobile with the latest maps for the time being. GO Navigation is in a staged rollout and becoming available to more users based on performance and quality indicators.

Regards, lampard
  • LesmahagowLesmahagow Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    After all the negative feedback I decided not to renew my subscription which was running out beginning of January. Instead I installed the 2.04 APK on my tablet and wanted to at least give the new version a try.

So far I have not identified any advantages but only endless drawbacks (Ok, the new lane view is nice, but I don't really needed that) Most of the issues were mentioned already but to me the most annoying change is the inability to zoom out far enough in 2D view. I used 2d view with the previous version when driving longer distances on the highway. Unfortunately this is not possible anymore. i will have to await further updates or switch to other navigation solutions. For the time being I will definitely not renew my subscription. BTW: would be great to have a simple button to be able to switch between 2d and 3D view. The number of clicks it takes to do that with TT are ridiculous. in other apps the system would switch automatically from 3d to 2d when zooming out ....

a very frustrated long term TT go Mobile user
  • tgoldtgold Posts: 2,190 [Revered Voyager]
    I have v1.7 of the NDS app and not your 2.04, but don't you also get a button above the loudspeaker symbol that will change your view from 2D to 3D directly in just one click and not the ridiculously large number of clicks that you are complaining about?
  • LesmahagowLesmahagow Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    tgold wrote: »
    I have v1.7 of the NDS app and not your 2.04, but don't you also get a button above the loudspeaker symbol that will change your view from 2D to 3D directly in just one click and not the ridiculously large number of clicks that you are complaining about?

Not really, the compass needle changes the orientientation between Travel Direction and North. in 3D view the map view actually switches to 2D but will not keep the Travel Direction orientation (at least in the version I am testing).
  • Matthew_VMatthew_V Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thankfully my TomTom Go has not been upgraded to the new version yet (sorry for the pain some of you are going through in beta testing for the new version).. I am currently looking for alternative navigation apps based on all the issues with the new app I am reading. I did used to use Sygic so may go back to that. Does anyone have any other recommendations for TomTom alternatives?

Iám looking into Calimoto. Looks promising for riders. But no experience yet. I used Sygic but a major drawback is that it can not import GPX directly and I dont like the GUI.
  • kyurloityuitgkyurloityuitg Posts: 10 [Legendary Explorer]
    Currently looking into Osmand as alternative.
    + POI and gpx track import is possible
    + For speedcams and traffic using TT's AmiGo as overlay.
    - Usage is not really straight forward yet, guess I simply need to play with it a bit more.
  • MJJBMJJB Posts: 11 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited February 2020

I also am interested in navigation app alternatives before I "have to" upgrade. Especially an app with good traffic avoidance. Any android app suggestions?
    I purchased a 3 year licence which is ending in a few months. This will now cost me 30% more and for an app that appears to have issues :anguished:
  • RonaldM01RonaldM01 Posts: 17 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I will wait for the final version of TomTom app. There is still no full rollout planned so I trust that they will use the feedback before launching.
  • PavehPaveh Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Final version publication date?
  • kyurloityuitgkyurloityuitg Posts: 10 [Legendary Explorer]
    I also am interested in navigation app alternatives before I "have to" upgrade. Especially an app with good traffic avoidance. Any android app suggestions?
    I purchased a 3 year licence which is ending in a few months. This will now cost me 30% more and for an app that appears to have issues :anguished:

If it is mainly traffic, Sygic is pretty good.
    At least for Western Europe, don't know about other areas.
    I also am interested in navigation app alternatives ...

I can understand that you're trying to seek for informations as much as possible! Nevertheless, isn't it a bit of... How shall I put it? ...Showing some kind of disrespect for a TomTom owned and operated forum to ask us such a question? I know there are plenty of others doing the same, but most certainly it isn't helping matters concerning TomTom products.

• KomarekKomarek Posts: 17 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Oskar-2 wrote: »
    some kind of disrespect for a TomTom owned and operated forum ...

Disrespect?
    First TT android app was lifetime, but when we've been forced to change it into a new GO app we've got only three-year subscription.
    Now we have a brand new NDS GO (we payed for) with a many annoying bugs and you are suprised we are looking for better app.
    Measure for measure ;)

edited February 2020
    Komarek wrote: »
    Now we have a brand new NDS GO (we payed for) with a many annoying bugs and you are suprised we are looking for better app.

I didn't say that. What I said is that imho this is the wrong platform to ask for alternatives to TomTom competitors!

Btw, it just takes a quick'n & dirty Google search to find hundreds of real comparison type charts/reviews of Nav apps like this one. ;)

This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online in this Category0