Rider 550 Auto Zoom function does not work — TomTom Community

Rider 550 Auto Zoom function does not work

TraxxTraxx Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 2019 in RIDER
Auto zoom does not seem to be working without a route. Is it supposed to be that way or am I missing a selection?

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,487
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Traxx

The default view at start-up without a route planned is normally the North-Up overview planning map, there is no auto zoom on this map... You have to tap the + or - buttons to set to zoom to suit your liking

To switch to the view you have chosen in the setting menu EITHER 3D or 2D in direction of travel
    Simply tap the Direction of Travel icon (The Arrowhead above the + and - sign) the screen will switch to your chosen driving view
    You may have to tap the + or - buttons to set to zoom to suit your liking

Note... You can't tap the Direction of Travel icon and cycle through the three available driving views... North-Up overview map, 3D and 2D in direction of travel

Tapping the Direction of Travel icon only cycles through the North-Up Overview Map and the Driving view you have chosen in the Setting Menu

ATB YFM
  • TraxxTraxx Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Good info, I will try it out next time I ride.
  • tugmantugman Posts: 337 [Revered Navigator]
    I use a slightly doomed in setting on a route but have found that if I go out and then come back in the zoom has returned to the standard setting.
    It would be helpful if once the zoom has been set for a particular route it stays that way until changed by the user.
  • HarmvanveghelHarmvanveghel Posts: 17 [Master Explorer]
    tugman wrote:
    I use a slightly doomed in setting on a route but have found that if I go out and then come back in the zoom has returned to the standard setting.
    It would be helpful if once the zoom has been set for a particular route it stays that way until changed by the user.
    That would be nice indeed, TomTom, this is something for the next firmware release !!
  • Fin_ILeFin_ILe Posts: 32 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    When the route is completely visible, auto zoom "works" as soon as destination comes closer. Function would be very useful, if it would work like Garmin has done it.
    Superusers
    edited January 28
    Hi

Is your Automatic zoom.... Set to Zoom in to next turn ???
    Check... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Appearance --> Automatic zoom....
    Is it set to 'Zoom in to next turn ???... In the countryside, I Find the 'Zoom in to next turn' screen view is far to Zoomed out to be of any practical use (It's like the view from the Intentional Space Station)

I find the 2D driving view and zoom 'Based on road type'... is a far better option....

ATB YFM
    Zoom level in overall... I wonder who has defined those levels. When driving, "zoom level" is so "close", that You can't see more than "a few meters". Zoom level is only a number in the program. Why isn't it adjustable by user? Then, when approaching to an intersection... user should be able to define his/hers own suitable level for that purpose. A few (usable) setting for "simple users", and usability jumps to an other level.
    Superusers
    edited January 28
    Hi
    @Fin_ILe
    Fin_ILe wrote: »
    Zoom level in overall... I wonder who has defined those levels. When driving, "zoom level" is so "close", that You can't see more than "a few meters" (Snip)
    I suppose its "OK" to exaggerate a little to try to make a point, but to say "The view ahead is restricted a few Metres" is nonsense....

I Drive/Ride 2D (I hate the 3D View)
    Zoom into next turn... Visible Map view
    The view in urban area's depending on surrounding density is around 400 to 800 yards and in the countryside 800 yards to several Miles with the route zooming in for more detail for all Junctions and Traffic Islands etc....

Zoom based on road type... Visible Map view
    The zoom In the urban area's is similar to the 'Zoom into next turn' view of around 400 to 800 yards and in the countryside the zoom is a more constant 800 yard to a Mile +
    The route zooms less and in most cases not at all for more detail for Junctions and Traffic Islands etc....

Zoom None... Visible Map view
    Constant view of around 300 + yards and route zooming for more detail for Junctions and Traffic Islands etc is zero...

ATB YFM
    YamFazMan,
    this is just a good example of how different we people are.
    I like a view, I can see a lot more of what kind of a turns TT is guiding.
    In many cases, if selected shortest, it selects some small road, which is not suitable for motorcycle, but - if You could see a bit more further, You could see that the main road will turn after a while to a same destination.
    If You try to zoom it a bit more "higher", it will return automatically "too close".

When I'm driving with a car, I have to use some other program in order to be able "to see" a bit further - or a view I want to see.

Good for You, You're satisfied with the view.
    Superusers
    edited January 29
    Hi
    @Fin_ILe

Don't forget, on the Bike If you want to see more of the road ahead, you can turn the Rider 5xx Models through 90 degrees from Landscape to Portrait Mode....
    I feel the 2D view give a more representative view of the road ahead rather than the false 3D View
    Note... This is the 2D from the setting menu... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Appearance --> Guidance View... 2D (In Direction of travel) and NOT the 2D North-up overview planning view you get by tapping the Direction of travel pointer (Above the + & -- signs)

On the Bike I usually use the Fastest route + Avoid Motorways or I use the Rider Thrill Ride option
    I have only ever used the Shortest Route once, yes it was the shortest route but it took me though some of the Dodgiest City back streets I have ever seen and would never want to go there again :o

Have you downloaded the Rider 5xx User Guide
    Here... http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/Rider_Wi-Fi/index.htm

ATB YFM
    Next summer, for the first time, after years, years of complaints.... this
    "On the Bike I usually use the Fastest route + Avoid Motorways "
    is finally posible with TT!!!
    (And, by the way, this and some other navigation related settings, should be quickly accessed, not in the most deepest bottom of the menu structure. A bit hard to use on a motorcycle)
    Turnig to portrait mode does not expand the view.