Searching my places TomTom Start 52 — TomTom Community

Searching my places TomTom Start 52

Hi, I hope someone can help. I have hundreds of saved my places on my sat nav for work. I’m just wondering is there a quicker way to search for them, without having to scroll all the way through them to find the place I need to go. It’s a Tom Tom 52 start
Thank you for any help.

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,222
    Superuser
    edited January 2020
    Hi @liamchaworth

Tap Menu
    Tap Search
    Start to Type the name you have given to one of your My Places.

Just above the Keyboard you are using you will see there are the tops of 2 columns showing. If you just type the first letter of the My Place you are searching the Righthand column will have a list of all your My Places starting with that letter and the more you type you will finish up with the My Place you want.

At any time you can Tap the Blue Keyboard Icon Bottom Right and the Keyboard disappears and you can scroll down either column to see what search results are found so the right hand columns will be a search list based on what you have typed of your My Places that match the search.

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,693
    Superusers
    Hi
    @liamchaworth
    On the later/latest NAV4 and NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices....

When using 'MyPlaces' menu you don't have to search down the long list of MyPlaces

Searching MyPlaces....

The MyPlaces appear on the right-hand side of the Search screen

Say in MyPlaces you have...
    Costa Worcester
    Costa Bromsgrove
    Costa Droitwitch
    Costa Bridgnorth

Tap 4Dot (.... menu) Icon --> Tap Search
    If you Type say 'C' a list of MyPlaces starting with the letter 'C' will appear on the right-hand side of the Search screen
    Either continue to type 'Costa b' and the Costa Bromsgrove and Costa Bridgnorth outlets will display at the top of the list
    Tap the blue keyboard Icon screen bottom right to clear the keyboard and display the list
    Or
    Tap 4Dot (.... menu) Icon --> Tap Search
    Then type say 'C' and a list of MyPlaces starting with the letter 'C' will appear on the right-hand side of the Search screen continue to type 'Costa
    Tap the blue keyboard Icon screen bottom right to clear the keyboard and a full list of costa outlets will display
    After completing your search, to navigate to a 'MyPlace'... Tap the required MyPlace --> Tap the 'Drive' Icon or Tap on the 3Dot Icon, a quick menu will open with more options

PS... Tap 4Dot (.... menu) Icon --> Tap Search type say 'T' on the right-hand side of the Search screen will be all of your MyPlaces beginning with 'T'
    But on the left-hand side of the Search screen will be a list of your recent destinations beginning with 'T'
    Don't forget to Tap the blue keyboard Icon screen bottom right to clear the keyboard and display the list
    PPS... There is also a dual Icon with 3 Lines & 2 Circles...

bf5c60ee-cdb2-4ca7-bcae-a1f0f9623372.jpg
    Tap the the 3 Lines or 2 Circles to toggle between List & Map view
    Tap the Keyboard Icon to return to the Keyboard & Search menu

ATB YFM
    Superusers
    edited March 2020
    Hi
    @liamchaworth

NAV4 and NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices...Searching the Built-in POI Categories....

Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Search...
    Enter "Rest" or as much of Restaurant for Restaurant to appear in the right hand column
    Tap the offered Restaurant
    A list of Restaurant will appear in the right hand column, sorted into distance order
    There is also a dual Icon with 3 Lines & 2 Circles...

u0gk82769asu.jpg
    Tap the the 3 Lines or 2 Circles to toggle between List & Map view
    Tap the Keyboard Icon to return to the Keyboard & Search menu

Here I searched.... Liverpool --> 'Restaurant' --> Costa....
    Tap Search Icon
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Search --> Tap (Top right on screen) Tap Whole map Note…… On some units (I think) it says Installed Maps
    Scroll down
    Tap In a Town or City -->
    Enter... 'Liverpool' -->
    Tap the offered 'Liverpool'
    Enter... 'Restaurant' -->
    Tap the offered 'Restaurant'
    Enter... 'Costa'
    Tap the offered 'Costa'

nx7uxa65br8f.jpgATB YFM
  • liamchaworthliamchaworth Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hi, that didn’t seem to work. It doesn’t give me 2 columns. Is that because of the model? It’s a start 52fwb1fpluhoes.jpeg
    g1jlqrhr6qny.jpeg
    Superusers
    edited January 2020
    Hi
    @liamchaworth

Check... Check... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> System --> Choose a search mode... Select 'Quick Search'

Edit....
    It's only the latest Start 42/52/62 Range that has this particular 'Step by Step' search method as the only search option....
    All of the previous NAV4 Models and the remaining Models in the NAV5 Range... The Via and GO Range have both the "Quick search" and "Step by Step search" as menu options
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> System --> Choose a search mode
    (1).... Quick Search (Default)
    (2)... Step by Step

This is also long standing problem for Postcode searches....
    The Postcode code search bug when using the latest Start devices is a real pain
    Any search for a Postcode... You have to enter a road/street name to execute a search ??? Why....
    If you know the road/street name and a house number you don't need the Postcode
    Most people use a Postcode because they don't know the road/street name and house number
    Isolated farms, Single building, Office blocks, Retail parks, Hospitals, New builds etc...
    For me it renders the latest Start device useless in the UK

ATB YFM