New TomTom AmiGO app for Android (v 7.126.0) available for all — TomTom Community

New TomTom AmiGO app for Android (v 7.126.0) available for all

lampardlampard Posts: 4,991 Moderator
Hi All,

We've just released a new version of AmiGO app with quite a few fixes, so we thought it might be nice to show you an overview of all the things that we will be adding to the app. This is now available for all the user as an update to Speed Camera app. The same version will be released soon for iOS devices.

What’s New in this version:

Search Improvements:
Search results to include local results, to be more relevant.

Overlay orientation:
  • Easily discoverable option in the menu for Overlay
  • Enable to change the orientation of the overlay mode (Horizontal/Vertical)
  • Warnings in the overlay to appear at the bottom
  • transparent mode/night mode for the overlay widget
Sound and speeding setting improvements:
Replaced existing sounds to the old Speed camera app sounds for speeding and speed camera warnings meaning the volume should be back to LOUD

Other:
  • Allow the user to see a pin on the map when they report something
  • Allow users to see details about their own pins and to give them the ability to remove them
  • Ability to report while in traffic jams and road works
  • Ability for a user to report while in a zone
  • US/UK/AU users can now see distances in miles and feet

Regards, lampard

Comments

• wwoytekwwoytek Posts: 29 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    A great application :)
  • MrMMrM Posts: 156 [Revered Navigator]
    Very nice app indeed. :)
  • ChrisP1974ChrisP1974 Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Great App in Beta but. The warning section of the overlay is both hidden under my car charger and its interfering with other app use. It was loads better when you could move it around. Apart from that, brill
  • fabiofi17fabiofi17 Posts: 47 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    i have still the same problem
    Xiaomi mi 9
    gktt4ay1mp11.jpg
    my wife have a Xiaomi Mi A3 and have the same problem
    edited January 21
    Perhaps i understand why on my phone there is this empty space in the bottom.

This empty space, maybe the space used for the phones with android buttons on display?

My phone, and a lot of orher phones, use 100% gestures and we don't have android bar with buttons on the bottom....my display is totally fullscreen.

Infact on the phone of my wife, the empty space on the bottom is filled by android buttons.
    edited January 21
    YES, I FOUND THE PROBLEM!

In Android settings if i remove GESTURES on my phone (turning back to the classic android buttons in the bottom) amiGO works well!

GPS cursor is in the correct position, "center position" button is in the correct position, and the app displaying perfectly.

b3kvt8z73asv.jpg

2lljwr42atrn.jpg

• HekarHekar Posts: 32 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    See screenshot above by @fabiofi17 : Time of arrival is displayed with easy to read font size, but travel time (next to it) with very tiny font size. Why?
  • HekarHekar Posts: 32 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    - While driving in a roundabout, imho the app should not already issue directions for the next roundabout which still is 700 m away, but wait with this until driver has left the roundabout.

- Why is travel direction indication arrow white and not red (or other color)? White is much harder to distinguish on displayed map.

- Font size for indication of remaining travel time is unreadable because it is so tiny (although there is plenty of space for larger font size, see previous posting)
  • wwoytekwwoytek Posts: 29 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    edited January 22
    The same problem, can you fix it? - smartphone HUAWEI P Smart Z

uo493g8u5rhx.jpg
    ecv74ds4xwfp.jpg
    edited January 22
    A question,
    Is the algoritm of route calcolation WORSE than TomTom app navigation?!?

It seems that AmiGo calculates bad routes compeared to Tomtom go or tomtom app navigation .... is true???
  • OapbikerOapbiker Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Great App. Two problems:- the sound is quite muted even with the app volume on full, secondly when changing from map view to overlay there is no sound.
    Samsung Galaxy S9 edge.
  • mczapla1979mczapla1979 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    What can I say... I loved it from the first sight. As good as Waze. Keep going, add 3d buildings please.
  • miki_MBmiki_MB Posts: 15 [Outstanding Explorer]
    3d buildings, drop pin navigation, various pois.... you'll be amazing app
  • lampardlampard Posts: 4,991 Moderator
    edited January 31
    Hi All,

Thank you for the feedback, please keep them coming. Dropping pin navigation & POI's will be added soon to the AmiGO but I doubt that the 3D object will ever come. I'll forward it to the team anyway.

Regards, lampard
    edited January 31
    wwoytek wrote: »

uo493g8u5rhx.jpg
    ecv74ds4xwfp.jpg

new update, this bug is still here.
    edited January 31
    thanks lampard for the update, that's encouraging.

Been using it for couple of days, and have to say routing algorithm is pretty good (I even dare to say on par with tomtom go, tried few tricky routes and they were identical, of course further testing is needed). Finally I'm able to see traffic/road works on my whole route, instead only in 100km radius, and that's a big plus for me.

App is super responsive, doesn't warm up phone at all, so far everything is well polished. I didn't try it in overlay mode, as I want to use it as a stand alone app not an addon to some other navigation.

Search results are a bit messed up, as they don't always sort results by closest ones to your location.

Also under settings/audio, if you change back and forth from speaker output on/off eventually it will get stuck and there will be no voice output at all, until you restart the app.

How about adding favorites, alternative routes, waypoints on route, lane guidance, offer nearby parking at destination, more voices...?

To be honest, I never thought I would be so excited over this app, as TomTom GO was my thing, but with the latest updates you did with AmiGo, and as new TomTom Go sadly isn't as WOW as I have expected/hoped for, AmiGO is really growing on me.
  • Oskar-2Oskar-2 Posts: 1,632 [Revered Voyager]
    miki_MB wrote: »
    Finally I'm able to see traffic/road works on my whole route, instead only in 100km radius, and that's a big plus for me.
    And I, but probably all/most other users do hope that this will come true soon for the Android/iOS Nav app as well!
  • DushaDusha Posts: 41 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    hi TomTom, I have been testing Amigo app on couple of the long route (Warsaw - Innsbruck) and have some feedback to share for your consideration:

I was running it in parallel with the same route with:
    - Google maps
    - TomTom Navigation NDS 1.7.8 (2.0.4)
    - Camsam+ (aka Blitzer DE) to show speedtraps
    • (BUG) From time to Time Amigo was pushed to background (minimized) randomly. Usually it was happening right after application launch , but maybe it's my device specifics...
    • (+++) route calculation is taking into account traffic and accidents on the whole route and not in 100km radius as in TT. So the delay information is always accurate and up-to-date. This is the huge + for me in Amigo
    • (+) speedtraps database was better than in TT Navigation and similar to Camsam
    • (-) recorded voices are not supported, so TTS engine must be installed and configured
    • (+) on the other hand, you could choose a TTS engine from within the app (very useful if you have more than 1 and you don't want to change the system one. In TT Navigation only system default TTS engine could be used)
    • (-) with TTS - spoken street names, exits, HW numbers are not supported
    • (-) when you have an active route, you can't access the settings (I was not able to find a way). So you have to clear route first.
    • (-) There is no settings to disable automatic route recalculation if traffic conditions are changing, route is always recalculated on-the-fly (in TT you can control this behavior)
    • (BUG) After running for 1-2 hours GPS position on the maps is stalled, map becomes frozen. Have not found a pattern to reproduce but likely it is related with temp. internet connectivity problems. To fix it, I had to close and re-open the app.
    • (-) If you want to close and offload the app from the memory and you have an active route - you have to do 4 taps - back, confirm route cancellation, back, confirm app exit

In general, traffic data, routing and traffic avoidance were similarly good in Amigo (online) and TT navigation (offline maps). However, Amigo was taking into account distant events so was far better in route optimization on the early stage with a long routes (i.e. if you could take different highways with similar travel time and distance and there is a traffic jam 100+ km away from you current location,. Amigo will suggest a route with a highway without this jam from the beginning.
    fabiofi17 wrote: »

uo493g8u5rhx.jpg
    ecv74ds4xwfp.jpg

new update, this bug is still here.

another upgrade, but the bug is still here....
    the new GPS cursor is UGLY 🤢
    edited February 13
    So, I've been using AmiGo/TomTom Go side by side for 1,000+ km for the past few days, driving Maribor/Vienna, Vienna/Brno/Praha, Praha/Bratislava/Budapest.

AmiGo has crashed quite a number of times on me for no apparent reason. Couple of times it was during voice guidance (voice becomes distorted first like some echo and then it crashes) , other times it would just switch off all of a sudden, so I had to reopen app. Couple of times, app would just freeze.... I had to force close the app, empty cache, restart, reenter location. I can only imagine what sort of frustration/danger this would cause if it happens in a busy, unknown, big city...

Voice guidance is "different" comparing to TomTom GO. Where TT GO would inform you several times about approaching exit/turn (no way to miss it), AmiGO does it fewer times or even too late, especially on a highway. I have noticed this several times, and it was quite annoying.

Traffic - On my way from Bratislava to Budapest, AmiGO didn't show traffic jam (and roadworks) on Budapest ring-road, while it was clearly displayed in TT GO. On several other occasions Amigo wouldn't show roadworks (Brno area toward Bratislava), and no issues with TT GO. Which is strange, as I would assume they use the same service.

Average Speed zones were not displayed in AmiGO (Praha southern area, E50 road) while they were clearly shown in TT GO ( there are 2 average speed zones there, 80Km/h limit).

Cursor - after some time (while driving on a highway), cursor would go crazy, indicating my location on some side roads, doing "recalculation" (several times). Like it completely lost my position and trying to get a new one.

On a positive side, being an online app, AmiGO didn't use too much data, I guess that's due to tomtom's optimization/compression.

All in all, It's a step in right direction for sure, just not quite there yet.

TomTom GO is a rock solid app that will get you there. It may not win any beauty contest, and we can debate about some design elements/solutions (it looks quite old and ugly imo, quite opposite of modern) but it gets the job done, as simple as that. Still, with stability improvements and enhanced features, I believe AmiGO is a way to go, and in near future it may steal spotlight from "old" TomTom GO.
  • GUFOGUFO Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited February 18
    I'm new here, but have been testing AmiGo for several months.
    I don't worry much about small things, because these have often been taken up and debated by other users. However, what I lack is the distance to the final destination. Ultimately serves to calculate the fuel range to the final destination. Maybe I also skipped this topic in the forum. Then sorry!

Mod edit: Machine translated(German)

uo493g8u5rhx.jpg
    ecv74ds4xwfp.jpg

New update, this bug is still here.