Using TomTom Go via Carplay tells me I need to renew my subscription but I have already paid. — TomTom Community

Using TomTom Go via Carplay tells me I need to renew my subscription but I have already paid.

Geoff200Geoff200 Posts: 10 [Apprentice Seeker]
Using TomTom Go via Carplay tells me I need to renew my subscription but I have already paid.
I paid an annual subscription on the 15th January.

TomTom just appears blank on my carplay screen and iphone.

Answers

• Geoff200Geoff200 Posts: 10 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Is there a telephone number or email address that I can contact TomTom support on? All I seem to be directed to are how to guides.
    I have just tried reinstalling the app on my iphone. It is saying "preparing your app to get maps" but the never completes.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,213
    Superuser
    edited January 2020
    Hi @Geoff200

I frequently get the same wording and Tomtom are aware it appears. Not sure it is part of their software. When it appears on mine it only lasts for a second and then immediately displays the App.

If you load the App on the phone and can see it on the phone what happens if you then connect it to the Car, ie does it disappear from the phone.

By the way what car is it. BMW were saying they were going to charge their car owners a subscription to use CarPlay. I have seen suggestions that they have decided to stop that charge so presumably they will have to reprogramme their CarPlay.. My car is a VW.

Which phone do you have and you have to log into your TT account in Settings in the Tomtom Go Navigator app.

Doug
    Superuser
    edited January 2020
    Hi @Geoff200

Also in Settings check what it says under subscriptions

Regarding Maps you have to click on Maps in the menu option and select the maps you want to download. The UK and ROI is split into 4 sections. Also if you are going to download any of Europe then download ALL 3 of the European Ferry Connections .

Doug
  • PalfermanPalferman Posts: 113 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    I get the same message when I use CarPlay too. I ignore it and it goes away. It never used to happen but I can’t work out whether I coincided with an Apple update it a tomtom update
    iPhone 6
    IOS 12.4.4

I am in the process of reinstalling the TomTom Go app on my phone.

“Preparing you app to get maps” appears on the screen with the animated car going in circles. This never completes. I am just stuck at this stage.
    Superuser
    Hi @Geoff200

How much free storage space have you got on your phone.

When you deleted it did you turn the phone Off afterwards before trying to install it again.

Doug
    6.64GB free space
    I tried a delete followed by turning off the phone as you just suggested and it made no difference.
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 5,900
    Community Manager
    Can you double-press the home button and drag each app up to quit all apps, then press home together with on/of until you see the Apple logo? Once your phone has restarted return to the maps section in the app. Though you have enough space left for Great Britain and Ireland in one go (iOS needs twice the space of an item during installation), expand the map and install the four maps one by one.
    Hi Jurgen,

I just followed the steps exactly as you described. I have the same problem, it never gets to the stage where I can select which maps to install, it says it is preparing the app to get maps but it never completes.

I have 6.7GB of 16GB free.
    Perhaps it is time to get a new phone, will I experience the same issues with an Iphone 11 I wonder.
    Community Manager
    I have no issues on iPhone 8 so I'm not sure what is going on. Have you allowed location services? Upon first install the app will check where you are to offer the correct map for that region.
    Ok so here is an update.
    I deleted all the apps on my phone to free up as much space as physically possible.

After some wait the maps finally installed.

I then reinstalled my other apps.

Quite a hassle but it worked.

I now hove Tom Tom running on my phone.

Now back to my original issue, how can I get rid of the message that appears in carplay telling me that I need to renew my Tom Tom subscription. This appears every time the Tom Tom loads.

Tom Tom is the only carplay app that causes this message to be displayed.
    Community Manager
    Can you post a screenshot of that message?
    Tip: While connected to CarPlay, taking a screenshot on iPhone takes a screenshot on CarPlay at the same time.
    c5x782mtyzsq.png
    Another problem I have noticed.

I want to be warned of speed cameras whilst using TomTom even if I am not using it for route guidance.

In the recent past I was able to enter a route but silence the voice for directions and only hear the audible warnings for cameras.

I have not been able to do this lately. I wonder if the menu options have changed in a recent update. If it is possible please can you tell me what options to set.
    Superuser
    Hi @Geoff200

Have the App open on your phone and you will be advised of cameras even when routes not working. Also check the Run App in Background option in the Settings menu. Again you ahem to have the App open on the phone.

Doug
  • JonCurtisJonCurtis Posts: 16 [Master Explorer]
    I get this message too, on new Nissan Qashqui it disappears after a few seconds but really annoying.

Are Tomtom going to fix it ?

aidhp63wbkom.jpeg
  • RicoKRicoK Posts: 147 [Supreme Navigator]
    Hello,

Yesterday I installed my VW RCD330 with CarPlay in my Volkswagen Golf Plus 2009 (MY2010). The unit and Carplay do work nice with some shortages, like the disappearance of the routebar, but this is something for another topic.

However, I also do get the message 'Renew your subscription...' for about 1 (or perhaps 2) seconds. The message disappears automatically after which I can use my Tomtom Go App.

I run the latest iOS version on my iPhone 11 Pro Max.

Is this something already being investigated by Tomtom?
    Superuser
    Hi @RicoK

They have been aware for some time.

Doug
  • RicoKRicoK Posts: 147 [Supreme Navigator]
    @DougLap Thanks for your quick response (as usual ;) ). Let's wait and see when this will be fixed in a future update.