New TomTom GO Navigation App (Android) - Page 4 — TomTom Community

New TomTom GO Navigation App (Android)

Comments

• JvdZJvdZ Posts: 82 [Supreme Navigator]
    edited January 2020
    They actually did come out with a separate new app: com.tomtom.gplay.navapp.nds, which is now at 1.7.1 and as far as I can see pretty much the same as v2.0.4 which just rolled out to my wife's android phone. So seems they simply chose for replacing it with this new NDS version to make it look like an upgrade, which would have been fine given the functionality would have been the same or better. The NDS maps are actually quite nice, but it comes across somewhat amateuristic to zap some of the old functions like mentioned in these forums, knowing they were mentioned before about the 1.x version too. Guess this must be the consequence of this Agile approach to development. :s

• schneidernetschneidernet Posts: 269 [Exalted Navigator]
    edited January 2020
    Nice to know but not for United States.
    Decided to go take a look at 2 as I have installed on my tablet. Looked encouraging as display seemed better and traffic was working. Then notified I had 56 map updates. No option to download ALL. Must poke 56 times. Can't poke all at once as it stops accepting pokes. Plus, another third or so are not ready to be poked. Yikes!
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 6,720
    Community Manager
    JvdZ wrote: »
    They actually did come out with a separate new app: com.tomtom.gplay.navapp.nds, which is now at 1.7.1 and as far as I can see pretty much the same as v2.0.4 which just rolled out to my wife's android phone.
    This is the same app, just slightly adjusted for the markets in Argentina and Brazil. It should not shown in other regions but we've seen that sometimes it does.

• fabiofi17fabiofi17 Posts: 47 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    when in italy?
  • ReledReled Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    Hi there,
    I'm on 2.0.4 release /19.3
    I cant use my phone like a nav because the routes are not synced, I cant plan my bike routes since my Drive if i cant send them to my app.
    Fix it please!
    Community Manager
    Reled wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I'm on 2.0.4 release /19.3
    I cant use my phone like a nav because the routes are not synced, I cant plan my bike routes since my Drive if i cant send them to my app.
    Fix it please!
    The new map format of the app isn't compatible with the current MyDrive sync for routes. We're working on getting this to work but I'm afraid I cannot give a time frame.
    edited January 2020
    Glad my Mom didn't throw me out with the bath water. Seriously though, TT was a stable, versatile, capable, fits all uses and users, and exquisite tool. Why would TT want to pitch it? Because the maps are better? The maps are worthless if we can't easily and logically see and use them.
  • DeangonzoDeangonzo Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    New app keeps stopping. I have a Samsung Note Plus 5G. Any ideas?
    Deangonzo wrote: »

No idea but that was one of the issues I had before I stopped using it. The voice would stutter and the map progress would freeze. sometimes it would recover but it was also totally lock up and require a forced close.
  • LochfrassLochfrass Posts: 16,724
    Superusers
    Deangonzo wrote: »

Clear the cache and delete the data with the App mannager. Then try again.
    Have you inserted a memory Card in your Phone?
    edited January 2020
    Hi all,
    Just for curiosity i downloaded and tried the APK 2.0.4 of TomTom Navigation app on APKmirror site.......

Oh fuc*!!! ...it is UGLY!!!!🤢

1) GIANT UGLY blue bar with the next instruction on the top of the screen that STEALS more than 25% of the display....is SO BIGGG and UGLYYY!!! :-/

2) Unanimated UGLY traffic strips on map 2D/3D...why static strips?! was better animated traffic and events like previous app!!

3) 2D Map it is not optimizated!!
    When i see my big city from the high, the performance are so BAD!
    UGLY performance with Xiaomi Mi 9...one of the most powerful phone on market!
    Map scrolling is jerky!!! BAD fps and slow performance.

4) WHY can i choose only 5 types of POI on map?!?

5) WHY traffic events icons era NOT SHOWED on 3D map navigation mode?!?
    AMIGO APP IS BETTER!
    AmiGo has Icons traffic events also in navigation mode, why TomTom not???

6) UGLY GPS cursor. It is ORRIBLE!

7) General performances of the App is NOT GOOD on my powerful phone.
    Call of duty mobile run at 60fps + Maximum graphics settings on my phone, just for example.....

8) UGGLYYYY COLORS!!!!
    NICE Dark colors👍
    but... UGLY Day colors!!!
    It seems toooo bright with NO contrast on screen!!
    Roads have almost the same color of the map background!!

etc etc.....

The ONLY ONE nice improvement i seen is the possibility to scroll map also in navigation mode.

STOP GOOD THINGS.

Obiviously i turned back to old app.

I use GPS FOR MY JOB, i am an Italian (Roma) Taxi Driver.

if those BAD THINGS still remain on official 2.0 update, i BLOCK my subscription, and i will use AmiGo or Google Maps.

bye.
    Other 2 things....

1) GPS CURSOR is TOO BIG, expecially if i zoom-out the navigation, and expecially on 2D map view!!!!

2) WHY the label is SO BIG for the next instruction?!?
    Why a so big wasting of screen space?

hises2wmslu6.jpg
  • Cruise1Cruise1 Posts: 7 [Master Traveler]
    Recieved the 2.0.4 update last week. Must say I am pleasantly surprised. Really like the cleaner but more detailed (street names) maps and on screen guidance.
    Haven't really had the time and opportunity to work my way through the new app but a few things that I am missing is the volume bar in the home-menu. Used that a lot. I also notice that the 'report speed camera' button has disappeared. Wasn't a heavy user but I thought is was a nice addition.

Am not a heavy or pro user of the app. Use it to get from A to B. No pre loaded routes or anything.
    fabiofi17 wrote: »
    Other 2 things....

1) GPS CURSOR is TOO BIG, expecially if i zoom-out the navigation, and expecially on 2D map view!!!!

2) WHY the label is SO BIG for the next instruction?!?
    Why a so big wasting of screen space?

hises2wmslu6.jpg

I hear you brother!
  • dezmodezmo Posts: 87 [Revered Navigator]
    Jürgen wrote: »
    The new map format of the app isn't compatible with the current MyDrive sync for routes.

How can be not compatible with your own maps? :o
  • wwoytekwwoytek Posts: 29 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Maybe just such a transparent background of the board as in the version of Go Mobile
    edited January 2020
    Unfortunatly, in general, TomTom Go mobile or Navigation App has a very bad graphics compared to other GPS apps on market.

I was very very curious and hopeful for the new version after a lot of years....but, nothing....is the SAME APP with few retouches.

TomTom Apps has a very old style UI, no icons on the map for the traffic events in 3D navigation (like ALL other GPS apps on market, and like AmiGO!), old style menu, old style GPS cursor, ZERO graphics customization, ZERO INTERACTIVITY with the user....and a lot of other limitations.....

It is the usual tomtom very "old" and closed system.

It seems THE SAME OLD "device stand alone" TOMTOM SOFTWARE style... ported on a phone.

...and is NOT FREE.

An app like this is really out of business at these days on market.

I am very disappointed, i think i will no renew my subscription.
  • schneidschneid Posts: 16 [Master Explorer]
    miki_MB wrote: »
    What I don't understand is why Android version doesn't follow iOS layout/looks. If TomTom would have implemented same as in iOS, none of this discussion would be necessary, plus (personal opinion) it looks much better in iOS.

Tom-Tom-Go-Navigation-App-Fahrspur-Zoom.jpg

Tom-Tom-GO-Navigation-Navigation-km.jpg

Everything is clutter free, super nice, modern.... what more can you ask?

I agree, the iOS interface seems much more user-friendly. No giant sign board, has a volume control, more readable street names. POIs from MyDrive? Routes from MyDrive? No stalling, freezing??????????????????????????????????????????????
  • Dwight013Dwight013 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    Is the my routes function still on hold ?
    Community Manager
    Dwight013 wrote: »
    We are actively working on reintroducing this functionality and expect to release it later this year.
  • KomarekKomarek Posts: 17 [Outstanding Explorer]
    miki_MB wrote: »
    What I don't understand is why Android version doesn't follow iOS layout/looks...

The crux of the matter / Da liegt der Hund begraben :/

tapatalk
    verstuurd vanaf mijn oneplus

• schneidschneid Posts: 16 [Master Explorer]
    Jürgen wrote: »
    Dwight013 wrote: »
    We are actively working on reintroducing this functionality and expect to release it later this year.

"............................expect to release it later this year." December, 2020????????????????

• scoobyfizzscoobyfizz Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    my observations -

Next instruction bar TOO big on a phone with only a 5.6" screen this is nearly 1 third of the screen lost overall with bars etc.

My device rerouted twice today despite having re-routing set to manual and then I switched it OFF and it still re-routed a further two times and the re-route actually was longer!!!

Traffic hold ups on the map view are VERY unclear in red and in orange / yellow almost not visible at all because they are arrows not solid colours.

my phone is powerful and high end but the app performance at opening and route calculation is woeful.

Slider bar for turning volume down has disappeared so have to fiddle with buttons but if you have your device set to output to a different source then the volume by default does not alter the navigations volume.

if I slightly zoom out I suddenly am looking at planet earth...

I cannot find anywhere what the costs of subscription are going to be once my subscription runs out.. the web site still refers to the old version and there are no pricings given at all.

I think I will revert back to the old version as lucikly I have the APK for that until some of these issues are never addressed... the re routing is a killer...
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online in this Category0