Runner Cardio battery replacement — TomTom Community

Runner Cardio battery replacement

WedwoWedwo Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
I have a 1 year old cardio 3 and the battery died. The watch shows it's charging but it stays on for less than 10 seconds when unplugged. Please tell me I can find a replacement battery somewhere.

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,853
    Superusers
    You cannot replace the battery, it is not a replaceable part. It is hardwired into the device and would destroy the waterproof seal to get it out. You may want to call Customer Support to ask them about it, but I would try a factory reset first in case it is just an issue in your firmware install. To do a factory reset, make sure the Connect software is running and dock the device to your computer. The Connect window will open; press the gear at the top right and select factory reset from the next screen. Follow the steps provided and when prompted to register or sign in to MySports, select sign in and use your existing account credentials. It is fairly straightforward and should take less than 5 minutes.

To get the number for Customer Support, go to tomtom.com/support, choose Contact at the bottom, select the service required and the product name and click Contact Customer Care and then Phone Us. It will give you the phone number for the country your account is registered under (this can be changed by clicking the flag icon in the bottom right corner of the screen).

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • WedwoWedwo Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Firstly thank you for replying. Secondly, the battery is not hardwired, it has a connector and is easy to remove. Thirdly, the waterproof seal is not compromised by opening the watch.

So is anyone able to answer my question, is there anywhere I can get a replacement battery for this watch?

I will try resetting to factory default but it seems this is a common issue with this range unfortunately. I suspect the battery's built in charge circuit is faulty and allows it to drain beyond a safe range for the li-ion which effectively renders it useless.
    Superusers
    Wedwo wrote:
    Firstly thank you for replying. Secondly, the battery is not hardwired, it has a connector and is easy to remove. Thirdly, the waterproof seal is not compromised by opening the watch.

So is anyone able to answer my question, is there anywhere I can get a replacement battery for this watch?

I will try resetting to factory default but it seems this is a common issue with this range unfortunately. I suspect the battery's built in charge circuit is faulty and allows it to drain beyond a safe range for the li-ion which effectively renders it useless.
    Interesting, they switched the battery from earlier version of the watch. In an case, you cannot buy a replacement battery from TT, they do not offer them. If you can find one that fits elsewhere feel free to use it. If it fries the watch you are out of luck as when you opened the case you invalidate the warranty.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
    Well the warranty is done after a year regardless but what I can say is that the local TomTom service agent here in South Africa has a bad reputation. Luckily I'm happy to report that the reset resolved my issue. I didn't do a reset the traditional way, but removing the battery reset it and after replacing the battery the watch is behaving like new. Thank you for that suggestion.
  • ziemer1ziemer1 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi. Were you able to find a replacement battery for this watch...I have the exact same issue...and need to replace the same battery. Any luck? Thanks Mark
  • ChinmayChinmay Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Interesting discussion. My watch Spark 2 has a similar problem. The TT guys said that they cannot replace the battery. please let me know from where you got a new battery and how did you get it installed. Ive switched loyalties to Garmin now. Cant bear a watch that doesnt even last for 2 years.
  • ClovellyTTClovellyTT Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I see a replacement battery is advertised on AliExpress at about $9 and has had some sales with all 5* ratings. However the delivery to my country is 10 times the price of the battery so not worth it for me unfortunately.
  • wprinswprins Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    edited July 2019
    Hmm. My watch is driving me nuts lately often with not holding enough charge to get my runs done. It was on charge all day yesterday and yet it conked out after about 35 mins of running last night (https://www.strava.com/activities/2532636480) I might try the soft reset but I suspect the battery is worn out. :( We'll see.
    Superusers
    edited July 2019
    wprins wrote: »
    Hmm. My watch is driving me nuts lately often with not holding enough charge to get my runs done. It was on charge all day yesterday and yet it conked out after about 35 mins of running last night (https://www.strava.com/activities/2532636480) I might try the soft reset but I suspect the battery is worn out. :( We'll see.

Start with a factory reset and if that does not work, request a software rollback on this post:

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1030088/software-version-rollback-requests-battery-issues-runner-spark-watch-series#latest
    edited July 2019
    tfarabaugh wrote: »

Start with a factory reset and if that does not work, request a software rollback on this post:

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1030088/software-version-rollback-requests-battery-issues-runner-spark-watch-series#latest

OK, I've done a factory reset tonight, after the watch very nearly conked out on me again after a 43 minute run. This time I even turned off the HRM as I was expecting it to misbehave and was proven correct. It would not even have managed to record this run, I think, had I not turned the HRM off. The watch again just died (screen dead, no display) immediately after I stopped the run recording. All this after the watch was on charge all day!

(Related digression: I'm getting the impression that the watch can actually become flat while on charge and that this happens if you leave the watch on a charge lead for a significant amount of time when already full. That is to say, this "problem" seems to be made worse by leaving the watch on charge for longer than strictly required, paradoxical as that may sound.)

We'll see how it goes. I'm sceptical about whether a factory reset will do anything for the battery but hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised...

Do you mind explaining what changed in the software to make the newer firmware so much more battery hungry, if indeed this is the problem, and why everyone doesn't then have the issue?
    edited August 2019
    We'll see how it goes. I'm sceptical about whether a factory reset will do anything for the battery but hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised...

So the factory reset has, if anything made matters worse. I'm now lucky if the watch lasts 20 minutes on a run.

This is the start of a recent run, watch conked out after only 9 (!!!??) minutes (this after is was "fully charged"). The whole run was this, which was recorded via my phone.

If ask for a firmware downgrade, what functionality will I lose?

This is rather frustrating needless to say.

(By the by, this watch was bought 19/07/2016. Is it really acceptable that a device is essentially obsolete after just over 3 years of use? -- Formally it is given that according to TomTom the battery is not replaceable...)
  • Cojay725Cojay725 Posts: 7 [Apprentice Traveler]
    hey just sharing. i recently CHANGED the battery of my Runner 1. followed the ifixit guide from the net. took me around 20mins. got the battery from Aliexpress. battery code is AHB322028. it is around $16 with shipping. i'm planning to change the battery of my spark 3. will let you guys know it is a success.

btw, the new battery is holding charge now for 1 week. did, 4 runs and it is still around 3/4 of the battery charge.

fyi
  • taekimontaekimon Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Can I check with those of you who have had your batteries replaced ...
    Does the spark cardio and spark 3 have the same kind of batteries? How many maH is the battery supposed to be?
    Superusers
    taekimon wrote: »
    Can I check with those of you who have had your batteries replaced ...
    Does the spark cardio and spark 3 have the same kind of batteries? How many maH is the battery supposed to be?

Even within the same model there are different batteries based on the supplier used. Your really need to open it up, determine the exact battery and then source it accordingly.