Moving maps from SD card — TomTom Community

Moving maps from SD card

Hi, Iam new to this🤔. I got tomtom GO5100, How do you move maps from 4gd card to 32gd card. No room on the 4gd card. Any help please. Thanks Neil

Best Answer

Answers

• 12neil3412neil34 Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    Thank you Doug .I will have a look at it tomorrow. Thanks Neil
    Hi Doug, it worked 😁. Thanks Neil
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 4,214 Superuser
    Hi @12neil34

Pleased to hear you are sorted

Doug
  • Wall1940Wall1940 Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    May I ask, are you suggesting that if I have a 64 Kingston card inserted that it will not work? i.e. too large?
    Should read 64Gb
    Hi, The max I can used is 32Gb and that works.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 4,214 Superuser
    Hi @Wall1940

32GB is the maximum size Micro SD Class 10 card that will work in a Tomtom unit.

Doug
    Hi, 32Gb micro sd card is maximum for my tomtom GO5100.
    Thanks, I'll swap it out and try a 32Gb one.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 16,148 Superusers
    Hi
    @Wall1940

Tomtom devices use SD or SDHC Memory Cards....
    Quote....
    The original SD card standard supported cards up to 2GB. Then came SDHC which extended the capacity to 32GB and then more recently the SDXC standard was released to boost the capacity to 2TB. All the standards are backwards compatible, which means that a device with a SDXC support can use all three types of SD card, but a device with a SDHC support can only read SDHC and SD, but not SDXC.
    End Quote....
    Quote source... https://www.androidauthority.com/high-capacity-microsd-cards-android-gary-explains-690710/

ATB YFM
    Well, I've puit a 32Gb one nj and it recofgnises it (when I look at the content tab), but it resiolutely refuses to put anything onto it. (Yes, it did format it and says it's done it properly).
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 16,148 Superusers
    edited January 23
    Hi
    @Wall1940

The GO 5100 has 8GB of memory + World Maps
    Which map are you trying to install ???
    if there is enough room on the On-board Memory the device will always install the Maps onto the On-board Memory
    Check Free Space... Check... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> System --> About... Scroll down to Free Space....

You should have World Maps available to install on your GO 5100
    You will need to install one of the smaller Maps from the 'World Maps Collection' onto the On-board Memory....
    The idea is to pad out the Memory space and force the device to use the 32GB SDHC Memory card
    The advantage of the small Map would be plenty of working space on the device (400 MB is considered the minimum Free Space... The more Free Space the faster the device will operate)
    The smaller map will also act as a 'Keeper' This will enable the device to keep running on the smaller Map and avoid the Catch22 situation No Maps Found Error, where the device won't boot-up past the No Maps Found Error to allow access to the 'Format option' to allow the use of a 16GB or 32GB Micro SDHC memory card
    Also if you ever need to remove the Micro SDHC Card for any reason... Like transferring pre-planned routes via a Micro SDHC Card or Formatting a new/replacement Micro SDHC Card, the Keeper Map will allow the device to keep running

If you wish to just stick with using the internal memory Instead of using a Micro USB Card
    Tomtom have released the Europe map in different Map Cuts (Map zones)... Will any of these new Maps suit your travel requirements ???
    More information Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1660206/#Comment_1660206
    ATB YFM
    I've cut to Western Europe map pro trm, but cannot check the Free Space at the moment - device is not here. Will revert once done. Thank you for your helpful advice.