why does PC keep disconnecting when installing UK map update?? — TomTom Community

why does PC keep disconnecting when installing UK map update??

LardpraoLardprao Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
It's taking over fifteen hours and the only way I can keep it installing is to keep taking out cable and putting it back in as I keep getting message to say 'connect your device' agggh It is connected!!!

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,202
    Superuser
    Hi @Lardprao

Try checking the USB Power Saving settings on your PC and if necessary change them to not turn Off. The PC manufacturers are setting these so that the Battery life is increased.

Doug
  • LardpraoLardprao Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thank you, Doug! I will have a look today..couldn’t wait fifteen horurs unplugging and plugging back in! Will report back!
    Not sure hat happened and it took ages but it eventually did download. Thank you for taking the time to help me.
    Calling Douglap??
    Hi there. Trying to update again as getting a message that map is six months old. I have read all the posts about why Tomtom One can’t connect to laptop and tried them all. hard reset etc. so get to the bit where I tick the update I want and next and then, after about one minute, I I just get the please connect your device message or no internet. there is internet and it is connected???
  • lampardlampard Posts: 5,369 Moderator
    Hi @Lardprao

Welcome to the Community! I see that your earlier map download failed due to interrupted connection which resulted in map corruption. Can you please try the map download using the Wired (Ethernet) connection since WiFi may work but can be slow causing a Time-Out?

I've now made some changes in the backend to restart the download, please try again and check for the updates in MyDrive Connect by following the steps below?
    • If your navigation device is connected to the computer, disconnect it.
    • Right-click the MyDrive Connect icon in the Windows notification area or Apple menu bar and then select Cogwheel > Settings.
    • Select the tab Downloads.
    • Click Empty download folder.
    • Click Save settings.
    • Enable the option 'Download updates on my computer'
    • Restart MyDrive Connect to check for the updates. Click the MyDrive Connect icon in the Windows notification area or Apple menu bar and then click Quit> Start MyDrive Connect.
    Please note: Whenever more than 1 updates are offered by MyDrive, then please update these 1 at a time, not altogether. Even if the download or installation appears to stop or freeze, keep it connected for 4 hours, then check if the download has been completed.Best order to update 1 by 1: (if offered)
    • QuickGPSfix / Navcore (if these updates are offered, they cannot be de-selected)
    • Map
    • Speed Cameras
    • Voices
    Hope this helps!

Regards, lampard
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,615
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Lardprao

Re "Download/Installation interrupted".....
    Are your USB ports set for power saving "USB Selective Suspend"

Win7 See... http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/147369-usb-selective-suspend-turn-off.html

Win10 See… https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/73187-turn-off-usb-selective-suspend-windows-10-a.html
    Click on link and scroll down to "Turn Off USB Selective Suspend"

Also turn off any Screen savers any other Power savers or USB port monitoring software installed

Random Disconnects on Surface Pro 3 & 4
    Do you have or have access to a 'Surface Dock', if so plug your device into a USB port on that. Others have found that to work
    On the Win10 tablets, Microsoft has hidden the "USB Selective Suspend" menu
    You will need to edit the Registry for the USB Selective Suspend menu to show

Laptop users also see Note (1) & (2)
    Note... (1) My Linx 10/10 Win10 Tablet is exactly the same... I had to edit the Registry to activate the advanced setting in the Power Menu
    Note...(2) Recently a User with a Dell XPS 9360 Laptop also exactly the same problem ... he also had to edit the Registry to activate the advanced setting in the Power Menu

See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1234855/#Comment_1234855

Also see... Windows 10 Power Settings for Surface Pro devices
    See... https://www.lovemysurface.net/windows-10-power-settings-for-surface/

ATB YFM