Why would anyone start a "track" from the centre of a city?????????? — TomTom Community

Why would anyone start a "track" from the centre of a city??????????

TedfredTedfred Posts: 10 [Apprentice Traveler]
I have seen some blindingly stupid things in my life, before buying a Tomtom Rider but I am now having my eyes opened to the full gamut of ............I shan't say it!
So you choose to follow the Cotswold way and you set your tomtom to take you to the start of the "track". What you find is that the Tomtom takes you through a busy city centre and then takes you back out again. This seems to be a massive navigation error on the part of you get home and go to the computer, only to find that the Cotswold way starts at York Street 9 in the centre of bath City?
Who ever is responsible for this lunacy should not have a job. One wonders what other ludicrous features this device will exhibit next.

Answers

• LucifyLucify Posts: 124 [Exalted Navigator]
    yes, that is a clear blunder of coding. But loading tracks have their own benefits as well.
  • TedfredTedfred Posts: 10 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks for your response. I have to say that " a blunder in coding" is an expression that can be applied to every aspect of this Sat Nav, it's a disaster.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,059
    Superusers
    edited January 8
    Hi
    @Tedfred

Are you talking about the Cotswold Way Walking Route ???

The Cotswold Way walking route starts in the centre of the City of Bath at the Abbey churchyard near the Roman baths
    Cotswold Way marker stone (Bath)
    See... https://www.nationaltrailbreaks.com/en_GB/attraction/cotswold-way-marker-stone-bath/
    Quote....
    The 1.4m (4.5ft) diameter stone features the Cotswold Way acorn symbol at its centre, and can be found in the abbey churchyard near the Roman baths. The stone features place names from along the route and was hand-carved by local artist Iain Cotton. The marker in Bath has an old testament quote, from Jeremiah 6:16.

"Stand ye in the ways and see, ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls."

It is mirrored by a similar marker at Chipping Campden and together they act as bookends for the Cotswold Way, marking the beginning and the end of the walking route
    End Quote....

Or are you saying you only want to use the Tomtom device the drive/ride from your Home to the start point of the Cotswold Way walking route ???
    Note... The Tomtom SatNavs are really for road use, yes they will give you the coordinate location off-road and will show it on the map, but can only plan a route to the nearest road access point

ATB YFM
  • TedfredTedfred Posts: 10 [Apprentice Traveler]
    The Route I am talking about is the one that relates to a Sat Nav called a TomTom Rider 550. So I would not have thought that a motorcycle Sat Nav would be associated with a walking route??? However, having experience of this ludicrous device I probably should not be surprised that a walking route is included on a Motorcycle sat nav. If I ever decide to try the Track around Cornwall I will remember to take a pair of walking boots and be prepared to carry the motorcycle on my back.

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,059
    Superusers
    edited January 10
    Hi
    @Tedfred

Ok there's been a misunderstanding... But why the sarcasm ???

Used Google to find the route the 'Cotswold Way' and the only route that came up was the 'Cotswold Way walking route'
    As the route starts in the centre of the City of Bath at the Abbey churchyard near the Roman baths, which is a couple of hundred yards from York Street 9 in the centre of bath City that you mention in your post and it seemed a very reasonable reason for starting a "Track" from the centre of a City"
    I assumed you were talking about about the walking route and were complaining about the route your Rider 550 was taking to the start of the route at York Street in Bath

PS... Where can i find the route you refer to
    The only Cotswold tracks I can find on the MyDrive Web Route Planner are....
    (1)... North Cotswold Tour from Corsham Field Farmhouse
    (2)... Christmas Cotswold's

Also in the 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Current Track did you select... Drive to Track or Drive to Start of Track ???

ATB YFM