WNRO Tom Tom 1XL — TomTom Community

WNRO Tom Tom 1XL

tomtomfailedtomtomfailed Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
Hi. I bought a new Tom Tom 1XL about 10 years ago (serial number L1xxxxxxxxx24) and have been extremely happy with it until about March 2019. It then suffered all the problems of WNRO. I tried to do a reset etc having read everything on your website etc. However it has become very unreliable even when I am able to get a satellite fix to drive somewhere. This satellite fix sometimes takes a long time or sometimes it will suddenly lose a satellite fix after half an hour or so - and not come back. This is obviously very frustrating as I can no longer rely on it.
At the moment it has got a satellite fix quite quickly (after yet another reset) but it only has a fix on 2 satellites.
I really do not want to buy another sat nav (which will probably not be a Tom Tom because of these problems). Has my One Xl "had it" and needs to be thrown away or is there anything I can do to make it reliable again please ?
It has of course lost the time etc but that does not really bother me.
Can you help please ?
Thanks.

Mod edit: Please don't post private or personal information on a public forum.Thanks!

Answers

• rider1riderrider1rider Posts: 190 [Exalted Navigator]
    did you check if your model is affected on their website?? they have released patches for this but not all devices are covered because the hardware will not adjust the wnro change.
  • tomtomfailedtomtomfailed Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
    thanks very much Rider1Rider. yes I did check it on their website and I think it is clear that my model (because of the age) is affected. However I understood that the sat nav could be restored but you would lose the time on the screen - which is what seems to have happened to mine
  • Smurf_Tom_2005Smurf_Tom_2005 Posts: 47 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Tiljes updated the fix... new version... v11 - fixes some small issues

here is the fix that Tiljes (Tomtom Forum User) gave me to upload on our page:

Load the zip File from my website http://www.rima-lock.com/ttconv-v11.zip

The description how to install this and some additional info is provided in the ZIP archive.

Installation:

Just unpack the archive to the main (root) directory of the TomTom. The fix will then
    start automatically with the restart of your Tomtom Rider.

Two new menu options will appear: "MiniLog Yes"
    and "MiniLog No". If you are a user of Joghurt's tool "MiniLog" or "Height",
    you should select "Yes", which will activate these new functions.

Otherwise select "No".
    Your Tomtom Rider will then reboot and both menu icons are deleted automatically.

If the fix is not working for you, you can delete the ttn File.
    Than the Tomtom Rider will start without the fix... of course with broken time.

this fix also works with some other Tomtom´s ONE 3rd, ONE XL, XL 2008 with GL1 chipset...
    thanks very much SmurfTom2005 for the reply. Unfortunately I dont really understand most of it so am not certain in what way I am meant to apply it.! Is there any chance that you (or anyone else) can explain what I need to do in a way (as I am very non technical) which I might understand ?
    Many thanks anyway for your help.
    edited December 2019
    hello tomtomfailed

manual

1. Connect your sat nav to the PC
    2.Open your navigation system on the PC: drive D : or E: or F:
    3. Extract the entire contents of the file ttconv-v11.zip: bin; fixdate; sdkregistry; ttn into the main directory of your navigation system, drive D : or E: or F:
    4. restart the navigation system. finished
    thanks very much again SmurfTom2005. However I still can quite understand what to do. I have opened the satnav on my PC and see that there is drive F. However I cannot then find anything like a file ttconv-v11.zip: bin; fixdate; sdkregistry in the list of files. There are a long list of files/folders listed but nothing similar to the one you mention. Sorry, can you explain it in more detail to me or should I just give up !!
    Thanks again anyway
    Load the zip File from the website http://www.rima-lock.com/ttconv-v11.zip

hello tomtomfailed

manual

1. Connect your sat nav to the PC
    2.Open your navigation system on the PC: drive D : or E: or F:
    3. Extract the entire contents of the file ttconv-v11.zip: bin; fixdate; sdkregistry; ttn into the main directory of your navigation system, drive D : or E: or F:
    4. restart the navigation system. finished

Load the zip File from the website http://www.rima-lock.com/ttconv-v11.zip
    thanks very much for the further clarification SmurfTom2005. I think I understand what you are saying ! Thanks very much for all your help and patience. I will give it a go !
    Hi again
    I did everything that you suggested and think I got it right as I had help from a friend who really understands these things. However the sat nav wont now find a satellite at all. It just says "Poor GPS reception". Is there anything else I can do - as previously it did at least find 2 satellites !
    Thanks again.

first make a complete backup of your navigation system!
    then in the event of an error, you can play everything back.

you can try another Navcore (application, OS from Navi),
    it comes with "9.541 SE pour One XL (WNRO OK)"
    or also "9510 with auto-on XL-Tested" function.
    use google and search for it. good luck