Carminat TomTom looping on startup, without previous interventions — TomTom Community

Carminat TomTom looping on startup, without previous interventions

PetvrgPetvrg Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
Hello. I have Renault Scenic III, 2010, with Carminat TomTom. All of a sudden, a few days ago, when starting the engine, the navigation displayed the Hour Glass, after that the splash screen, and is on that loop ever since. I must stress out that I have not performed any updates nor did I even touch the SD card in the last six months.
I have tried erasing the loopdir, and inserting another card. Even installing different maps (Central-Eastern Europe, compared to the whole Europe I had praviously). But the navigation then creates the new loopdir folder, informs me that I can use it now, but then goes back to the hour glass and splash screen loop. Starting the navigation without the card leads to a blank screen with information that there are no maps available. If I insert the SD card in this step, the navigation asks me not to take the card out, but after a minute goes again to the hour glass and splash screen loop.
Any ideas on what to do? It is so strange that the navigation system got broken on its own.
Thank you very much for any help!

Answers

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,454 Moderator
    Hi @Petvrg

Could you please try the steps I suggested on this comment

Note: I have reactivated the Europe map for your device.

Regards
    Vikram
  • PetvrgPetvrg Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hello Vikram,

Thank you for your information.

I have gone through all the steps as from above (deleted content from the computer, freshly formated card etc), but the problem persists. Hourglass and splash intro loop is still the only that I get.

Do you have any idea what to try next?

Thanks,

Petar
    Hi Petar,

The format and restore resolve the issue with looping hourglass in most cases.

Can you format- disk check for errors- and try the restore as suggested in the above link?

Or

Could you try using a different memory card?

Thanks
    Vikram
    Hello Vikram,

I've checked the SD card, no errors found. I've also tried all of the steps with two other SD cards, and still, no change.
    I format the card (without quick format), innitialize it in the Carminat inbuilt device, download maps that you have reactivated, install them on the SD card. When I put this card in the vehicle, Carminat starts to load, states that I can use the card now, but then falls again in the loop.
    I've tried starting Carminat without the card, which results in blue screen with "no maps found" error. If I then insert the card, the device warns me something like "please do not remove the SD card", but then after a few seconds it again shows the hourglass and splash logo.

Any other ideas on what to try? The device has rejected to use three SD cards, one of which was successfully used for the last three years.

Thank you

Petar
    Hi Petar

I can't think of anything else to suggest, sorry to say but I am out of suggestions here.

At this point, I would suggest that you contact the car dealer as this seems to be more than a software issue.

Regards
    Vikram
  • Megane_GTLineMegane_GTLine Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited December 2019
    You can give it a try to remove the loopback.ex3 file in the loopdir folder. After the card/map is recognized you have to set your home location again by the navigation menu (because this information will be capt into that file).

Another thing you can try is to "reset" your navigation:
    1. Keep the car running while remove the SD-Card and turn off the radio.
    2. Turn off your car completely (power off the engine, get out of the car, lock doors).
    3. Insert the SD-Card and turn on the radio (not the car)
    4. Wait until the system is back up and running.

Steps above will also work if the TMC traffic information give problems.
    Hello, thank you for reply. Your first suggestion does not apply since I've tried multiple times to format the cards I use. Hence, no loopdir to start with.
    I've also tried a few times to "reset" my navigation as you suggested, but the loop is still there.
    After the New Year's hollidays, I will have to resort to contacting the Renault service and see if they have somebody who deals with Carminat TomTom deviecs.
    I will surely post the results here, since I believe a problem like this should have some kind of resolution recorded on your site.