Very Very Slow Downloads — TomTom Community

Very Very Slow Downloads

AnythingbutTomTomAnythingbutTomTom Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
I have FFT; 5G link to excellent Router; USB C; core 5; 8Mb RAM;Years of Software & IT experience. In 24 hours update still not complete Am tempted to bin this useless item. Place-names often incorrect and advises routes that are inappropriate. May have more connecting features but big loss with accuracy and usefulness.

Lifelong EU mapping.

Reminds me of early C**p SatNavs - waht a backwards step! My 2012 Hyudia SatNav is better.

DON'T BUY. Use google maps and download rote to phone instead.

Answers

• LepreLepre Posts: 65 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    totally agree.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,064
    Superusers
    edited November 2019
    Hi
    @AnythingbutTomTom

Updating my NAV4 GO 5000....
    Full Europe map size 8.5+ GB
    NAV4 GO 5000 over USB using MyDrive connect....
    Map Download only... 10mins 55seconds (Stopwatch)
    Download + Install 1hr 4mins 37seconds (Stopwatch)

NAV5 (Wi-Fi) GO 520 over USB with MyDrive connect running in the background....
    NAV5 (Wi-Fi) Devices update on the fly i.e... No Download/Upload/Install
    Virgin media 110Mb/s (Speed checked)

For me this update is fastest yet...
    Install Full Europe map size 8.9+ GB....18mins 3secs (Stopwatch)

Here in the UK it's extremely rare for me to have a problem finding or planning my destination... But on odd occasion I'm directed off a Major road along a country road, instead of staying on Major roads

ATB YFM
  • DagVDagV Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    I have now spent more than 100 hours (!) of download time for a new map on my old Rider IV, but now I'm just giving up. It is simply not possible to update the thing due to the absolute slowest downloads I have ever experienced on the internet.
    It took me almost 8hours also to download the current map on my Rider 500 and GO510 on a 50mbs internet connection. I have seen the answers Tomtom gives out here, but that is simply utter crap! Nothing in the world of internet downloads as slow as TomTom. I have had TomTom products for 20 years, but now that is over. Sorry TomTom, you are absolutely useless on software updates!
  • AnythingbutTomTomAnythingbutTomTom Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi YamFazMan,
    You may have had a good experience but since purchase in May 2019 I have had nothing but grief trying to connect with your servers. I see that I am not alone! If my situation is as unusual as your post suggests, then I must have a defective item? Will TomTom replace it?
    Superusers
    edited June 20
    Hi
    @AnythingbutTomTom
    Hi YamFazMan,
    You may have had a good experience but since purchase in May 2019 I have had nothing but grief trying to connect with your servers. I see that I am not alone! If my situation is as unusual as your post suggests, then I must have a defective item? Will TomTom replace it?
    'They are not my servers' ??? I'm just a user like yourself...

On the rare occasions I have a problem with myDrive Connect
    I Delete MyDrive Connect using the free version of Revo Uninstaller
    If you're using a Windows PC... Delete MyDrive Connect using the free version of Revo Uninstaller
    If you're using a Mac... Surely there must be a Deep Clean Un-installer Program available for a Mac ???
    Download & install the free version of Revo Uninstaller
    Here...https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

The main advantage of using the Revo Un-installer is that Revo first un-installs the Program using the Windows default un-installer ... Then scans and removes any of the left over files from MyDrive Connect that the default Windows un-install leaves behind....

Video using the Revo Uninstaller
    The Free & Pro Versions use the same process....

(1)... Uninstall MyDrive Connect Using the Revo Uninstaller
    (2)... Clear your browsers cache (Optional, but I find it helps)
    (3)... Restart your PC (Not Turn Off & Turn On again)
    Reinstall MyDrive Connnect....
    Important... I find it’s best NOT to have the device connected to the PC during any install. re-install or update of MyDrive connect, I think it has averse affects on the USB Driver install….
    Connect & Turn on your device... Login to MyDrive Connect

Is Your Via 52 device... An 8GB or 16GB Model....
    If 8GB See Catch22... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1686043/#Comment_1686043

ATB YFM
    Superusers
    edited July 16
    Hi
    @AnythingbutTomTom

I find deleting the "HOME3" and the "MyDrive Connect" folders in the MyDrive Connect Program just as effective for giving MyDrive Connect the necessary CPR to bring it back to life...

If you have installed MyDrive Connect to the default location using Windows 10
    It's located here... C:\Users\"Your Computers Name goes here"\AppData\Local\TomTom > (HOME3 & MyDrive Connect Folders)
    Delete both the Home3 and the MyDrive Connect folders; they are most likely to be corrupted
    If you delete the Home3 and the MyDrive Connect folders it removes the Cache Folder & Contents, Prefs.ini, cookies.ini. Logs and Configuration.xml

A new Home3 Folder and MyDrive Connect folders and their contents are created fresh the next time you use MyDrive Connect

NEVER have your Tomtom device connected to your PC when....
    (1)... Installing MyDrive Connect (Including Uninstalling & Reinstalling MyDrive Connect)
    (2)... Updating the MyDrive Connect program
    (3)... Modifying MyDrive Connect (i.e... Deleting the Home3 and the MyDrive Connect folders as in the workaround shown in the link below)
    It can have an adverse effect on the USB Driver install….

Method…
    (1)... Disconnect the Tomtom device from the PC and Reset it by holding down the off button for 20 secs until you hear the ‘drumbeat’ release the button (Do not reconnect your device to your PC)
    (1.1)... If MyDrive Connect auto 'Starts when your Computer starts' (Default)... Then 'Right Click 'on the MyDrive Connect Icon on the PC Taskbar and Click 'Quit' MyDrive Connect....

9gc4io81mxon.jpg
    (2)... Open the ‘Run Box’....
    On the PC Press the 'Windows button' + 'R' Key
    (3)... The Run Box opens... Type into the ‘run’ box.... %localappdata%/TomTom
    (4)… Press Enter
    (5)... A new window opens
    (6)... Delete both the Home3 and the MyDrive Connect folders; they are the most likely to be corrupted
    (7)… Close all windows
    (8)... Turn on the SatNav and reconnect it to the PC
    (9)... Open/Run ‘My Drive Connect...

A small Menu Window opens with 3 menu options....
    hskjc7anfu9d.jpg
    Important....
    Option (2) Needs to selected for MyDrive Connect to work correctly....

The 1st & 3rd options are optional (I always deselect both options and set up a Desktop Short-cut to Start MyDrive Connect, I don't want MDC running all the time on my PC)

(10)... Click OK
    (11)... Login to MyDrive Connect as if was a fresh install...
    Hopefully all should now be well

Note... You may want to create a Desktop Short-cut to the access the Home3 and the MyDrive Connect folders
    If you have installed MyDrive Connect to the default location using Windows 10
    The full short-cut path Is here...
    C:\Users\"Your Computers Name goes here" \AppData\Local\TomTom

ATB YFM
  • FahquFahqu Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @AnythingbutTomTom

Updating my NAV4 GO 5000....
    Full Europe map size 8.5+ GB
    NAV4 GO 5000 over USB using MyDrive connect....
    Map Download only... 10mins 55seconds (Stopwatch)
    Download + Install 1hr 4mins 37seconds (Stopwatch)

NAV5 (Wi-Fi) GO 520 over USB with MyDrive connect running in the background....
    NAV5 (Wi-Fi) Devices update on the fly i.e... No Download/Upload/Install
    Virgin media 110Mb/s (Speed checked)

For me this update is fastest yet...
    Install Full Europe map size 8.9+ GB....18mins 3secs (Stopwatch)

Here in the UK it's extremely rare for me to have a problem finding or planning my destination... But on odd occasion I'm directed off a Major road along a country road, instead of staying on Major roads

ATB YFM

This is absolutely the WORST company I have ever seen for doing updates. The time required to do even a small update is ridiculous. I had just updated my video card with a 345 mega byte update that took all of 3-4 minutes tops. Now I'm waiting for FIFTEEN MINUTES to "install" an update. I'm dumping this device for a Garmin. I have a Garmin on my bike that NEVER takes over 10 minutes to update. For a company that peddles their JUNK all over the world TomTom has the SORRIEST support I've ever seen.
  • brownzbrownz Posts: 15 [Outstanding Explorer]
    edited March 1
    Must admit it's the only thing I find hugely frustrating.
    I'm on quite a fat pipe here with a download speed of around 150 Mbps.
    I've got a whizzy Asus ABGN Wireless Router which can handle everything quite nicely.
    I bought the TTG 5200 WiFi last year. Installing a map took bloody hours, I left it overnight.
    I'm off to the USA in a couple of weeks so thought I'd add the USA map to it tonight (around 7gb). I started the download about 18.15hrs GMT, 2+1/4 hours later 20.30hrs, and it's at 23%. Shocking. Nothing else streaming/downloading over the connection. I'm guessin it can only be the Tom Tom servers as I just did a quick speed check and we're still at around 150Mbps over a wireless tablet.
  • tcandersontcanderson Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I haven't updated my TomTom GO 600 in a while because I find it useless (Google Maps is far more up-to-date and accurate in routing)

Plugged it in today and of course had to first update MyDrive Conntect ... which of course being a TomTom product had an error - Visual C++ 2017 - but hey, it's TomTom, of course it's going to fail.

And to the title of this thread, MyDrive Connect indicates it's going to be an over an hour to update!!! Really, TomTom?!!?

I can download entire Windows 10 ISOs in a few minutes on a 600 Mbps connection. But your useless software takes over an hour for a Map update. Heaven forbid anyone actually wanted to go somewhere right away.

Besides the fact that a TomTom update bricked this device for using Bluetooth to get updates while on the road, TomTom just continues to be a huge disappointment.

And don't bother hoping their support will actually, you know, "SUPPORT" .... their standard line is Reset your device. Thank god TomTom doesn't make medical equipment.

How TomTom is still in business in the day of Google Maps which is far superior is truly a wonder.
  • LepreLepre Posts: 65 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    tcanderson
    Hello,
    I have been saying the same thing for some years now,
    my GO 5200 is set on the fastest route, (avoids unpaved roads) but it makes me do narrow, longer roads and sometimes makes me make long unnecessary journeys, I point out that on the main routes I should do there are no accidents or traffic !
    For map downloads it takes 3/4 hours in wifi I have 50 MB fiber ...
    If I do a large download on the PC in wifi it doesn't take all this time!