What Happened to TT Go — TomTom Community

What Happened to TT Go

schneidernetschneidernet Posts: 264 [Exalted Navigator]
As I headed off to work today, I was delayed by a FORCED update to 2.0.1 release/19.3 (3086). No option to delay it. Been using TT since early this century beginning on an iPaq. This spawn is a disaster so far:

For U. S. must pick some sixty maps as some states have more than one. Lots of poking.
Colors are muted. No contrast allowing one differentiate screen items. Hard to see and use.
Turn guidance is shades of black/gray. Again no contrast.
Go stalls. Would not update for 30 seconds or so. Had to stop and switch to Google.
Samantha stutters.
Far fewer customization like route colors.
No map color choices but maybe that was already gone.
No more route preview.

Looks like they stole Googles UI. I don't like Google. That's why I pay for Go. Now I don't have to as I can get a sucky interface for free and just use google. Hopefully I an unwitting early tester.

I WANT MT TOMTOM BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• schneidernetschneidernet Posts: 264 [Exalted Navigator]
    More feedback. Today incorrectly nav'ed me to a destination Old Go did just fine. Said I was there a few blocks early. Also suggested a route that was all wrong.

Samantha still stutters.

edited December 2019
    Checked the PlayStore. Current version is:

Updated December 13, 2019
    Size 94M
    Installs 10,000,000+
    Current Version 1.18.1

Yet I was pushed 2.0.1. Can someone man-splain how that happens?
  • tgoldtgold Posts: 2,181 [Revered Voyager]
    I suggest you uninstall whatever you ended up with and then pull and install a fresh copy of 1.18.1 from the Play Store.
  • Mikehill219Mikehill219 Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    tgold wrote: »
    I suggest you uninstall whatever you ended up with and then pull and install a fresh copy of 1.18.1 from the Play Store.

You would think that would work but it doesn't, I've been saddled with this awful beta update and have lost the POI functionality for my own files which is a right pain. Tomtom are pretty usless and force people to test their product which they know full well isn't ready for general release! Clowns!
  • HekarHekar Posts: 32 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    edited December 2019
    I'm afraid reinstalling the old version unfortunately will only be a temporary, short time workaround because there won't be any map updates for it any more in the future? While it seems the new app will remain to be 'crippled' for an incalculable space of time.
    What a pity!
    Maybe, maybe not. They removed POI support from MyDrive but I was able to add them by copying the .ov2's to the POI directory. If the file structure for maps is the same too, maybe the new maps can be copied in too. I think I will take an old phone, install 2.0000000000000000.1, emphasis on the zeros, copy them off and side-load them

to 18.0.1.

If not, there is Sygic (TT maps), CoPilot, Waze, and Google. And maybe more. TT was so solid I haven't looked at what may new out there.

What happened to, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it?"

I have to March until my subscription expires. Not fixed, Bye bye.
  • eddydceddydc Posts: 97 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Maybe, maybe not. They removed POI support from MyDrive but I was able to add them by copying the .ov2's to the POI directory. If the file structure for maps is the same too, maybe the new maps can be copied in too. I think I will take an old phone, install 2.0000000000000000.1, emphasis on the zeros, copy them off and side-load them

Are you saying that - in contradiction to what TT claims - the actual use of custom POIs is still possible in the 2.X version?

Yep. You need to have the .ov2 files. I have mine on my PC but if you have them in MyDrive, you download them. Then you simply copy them to \android\data\com.tomtom.gplay.navapp\files\pois. Mine is on the external SD card. If no \pois directory, you simply create it. I have developer options enabled and simply connect my phone via USB and drag them over.

Somewhere on the old forum there is a really good guide for this.
  • eddydceddydc Posts: 97 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Yep. You need to have the .ov2 files. I have mine on my PC but if you have them in MyDrive, you download them. Then you simply copy them to \android\data\com.tomtom.gplay.navapp\files\pois. .

I'm using that method anyway. Delighted to see that this method still works in 2.x. ( which I'll install when it's a bit less buggy).
    I'm wondering why TT is saying that custom POIs aren't supported anymore.

• tgoldtgold Posts: 2,181 [Revered Voyager]
    eddydc wrote: »
    I'm wondering why TT is saying that custom POIs aren't supported anymore.
    Not supported means there is no guarantee of performance and no help if it doesn't work for you.
  • Crusader3020Crusader3020 Posts: 15 [Legendary Explorer]
    I do all my route planning in the actual app and side loading OV2 files does work, but from my experience I can only see around 50 pois in any one file of pois. So my work around is to break a poi file of say 200 pois into 4 different files. it's a real pain to do and to implement.
    Whereas in 1.18.1 a 600 poi file works fine. So I'm not sure what the problem is with 2.2.0.
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online in this Category1

halber
halber