5 YEARS TO UPDATE EUROPE MAP!! — TomTom Community

5 YEARS TO UPDATE EUROPE MAP!!

TomTerribleTomTerrible Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
First off, let me state the obvious information so any moderator does not copy/paste useless basic troubleshooting guides because that is not what I am looking for.

Running TomTom MyDrive Connect on Windows 7, 64bit.

Ping: 18ms
Download: 39.40 Mbps
Upload: 17.90 Mbps

NO VPN, NO Firewall, NO anti-virus, ALL allowances for MyDrive Connect program allowed.

Updating Europe map on TomTom START 42 through the MyDrive Connect application is going to take me over 5 years to download. This is absolutely ridicolous. What is going on?

I checked resource monitor and it states that the TomTom MyDrive Connect.exe program is sending ~200B/s and receiving ~400B/s

That's 400 BYTES. 400 individual ones and zeroes. Not 400,000, not 400mbps, not 400MBps.

400. Bytes.

It is impossible to update any map or download any new maps for my device. The program is bottlenecking the download and/or the TomTom servers are absolutely awful.

This isn't a weekend update, or even an 8 hour update. There is no loading bar in the application, just that it is "DOWNLOADING ITEMS"

I have no idea if I stop it now it will corrupt my SD card or the map already installed. I have no idea if it's doing anything at all or just bouncing 400 Bytes back and forth for fun.

How do I even begin to use this application to download maps and updates in a timely manner? 8 hour wait is better than over 5 years (Without turning computer off, no Wi-Fi hiccups - Not possible whatsoever)

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,770 Superusers
    edited December 2019
    Hi
    (Snip)
    Running TomTom MyDrive Connect on Windows 7, 64bit.
    Ping: 18ms
    Download: 39.40 Mbps
    Upload: 17.90 Mbps

NO VPN, NO Firewall, NO anti-virus, ALL allowances for MyDrive Connect program allowed
    (Snip)
    Here....
    Running TomTom MyDrive Connect on Windows 10 (64bit)
    Ping: 9ms
    Download: 112.87 Mbps
    Upload: 10.52 Mbps

NO VPN, Firewall (Is Active) MyDrive Connect allowed to pass-through firewall, Anti-virus is on, MyDrive Connect using Default setting....

There must something radially wrong with your set-up....
    See Here... https://www.download-time.com/
    The Full Europe Map Download is 8.5+ GB... At your download speed 39.40 Mbps
    The download part of the process should only take....
    30 Mins 53 Seconds... But of course after the initial download, the file needs to Decompress and Transfer over USB, plus Installing the Map layers onto the device....

Here... Updating my NAV4 GO 5000....
    My NAV4 GO 5000 device is similar to your NAV4 START 42
    Normally around an Hour Plus or Minus a few minutes
    Full Europe map size 8.5+ GB
    NAV4 GO 5000 over USB using MyDrive connect....
    Map Download ONLY... 10mins 55seconds (Stopwatch)
    Download + Install 1hr 4mins 37seconds (Stopwatch)

I always update my devices one Update at a time
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are force ticked by Tomtom... De-select any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items one at a time
    This will help to prevent a Log-Jam effect on the Tomtom Servers if something go wrong with one of the updates... The Server only has to wait for one update file to Time-Out

Here....Installing the Full Europe map v1040 update NAV5 (Wi-Fi) GO 6200....

(1)... I'm using a Win10 PC hardwired to Modem Virgin Media 112.87 Mb/s
    (2)... PC Connects to the Home Wi-Fi at 40 Mb/s
    (3)... The GO 6200 direct Wi-Fi connection to the Modem is 72MB/s

I updated the Full Europe map v1040 size 9GB +
    Obviously for me, updating the GO 6200 over USB with MyDrive connect running in the background is the Faster option....

I'm happy with an 9GB+ Map update in 23Mins 34secs (Stopwatch)
    The latest NAV5 (Wifi) devices install the maps more quickly than the NAV4 devices
    NAV5 (Wi-Fi) Devices update on the fly....
    i.e... No Download/Upload/Install

ATB YFM
  • TomTerribleTomTerrible Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    Great, thanks for your answer.

I agree, my download should be about 30 minutes if calculated right. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and think 2 hours to download, then for something to change and it to unpack and install on my device.

I have also only checked the Europe map update, nothing else.

I will try directly through cable from router to my PC and report back, but I don't have high hopes right now.

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,770 Superusers
    edited December 2019
    Hi
    Ah you’re using Wi-Fi from your PC to the Router
    How Good/Bad is your Wi-Fi Signal Strength/Quality

See the Free 'WiFi Analyser' App from the Microsoft Store....

ATB YFM