Bluetooth connectivity issues for Wi-Fi devices and iOS 13 - Page 10 — TomTom Community

Bluetooth connectivity issues for Wi-Fi devices and iOS 13

Comments

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,254
    Superuser
    Hi @jures

Whilst I could easily get the impression you think that Apple can do no wrong I would appreciate your explanation of the following.

Since the release of IOS13.3 if I turn my GO5200 on the Bluetooth connection for Messaging, which requires the running of the My Drive App, now connects on most occasions and maintains that connection for much longer than it has ever done since IOS13. Previously it would not connect at all or at best for seconds.

Now as you have been suggesting that Tomtom's lack of action is the problem can you advise how this has happened when the only change so far has been that made by Apple.

Whilst there is definitely some change the issue still appears to be the stability of that connection being further improved as you cannot yet rely on it maintaining that connection as it does under IOS12. I am not able to check if the same occurs with the traffic connection but clearly messaging has changed as I see it.

Doug
  • juresjures Posts: 101 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @jures

Whilst I could easily get the impression you think that Apple can do no wrong I would appreciate your explanation of the following.

Since the release of IOS13.3 if I turn my GO5200 on the Bluetooth connection for Messaging, which requires the running of the My Drive App, now connects on most occasions and maintains that connection for much longer than it has ever done since IOS13. Previously it would not connect at all or at best for seconds.

Now as you have been suggesting that Tomtom's lack of action is the problem can you advise how this has happened when the only change so far has been that made by Apple.

Whilst there is definitely some change the issue still appears to be the stability of that connection being further improved as you cannot yet rely on it maintaining that connection as it does under IOS12. I am not able to check if the same occurs with the traffic connection but clearly messaging has changed as I see it.

Doug

My friend you are far off. First BT is a standard, using a wireless data transfer over certain freqvency.
    2. What has apple changed in iOS 13 that makes only TomTom incompatible while my all other devices stayed compatible:
    - car BT with music play
    - Senna C4 Pro helmet (music, voice commanda etc)
    - Huawei (Android!!!) smart watch
    - Garmin (!!!) navigation
    - Headphones
    - Pulse meter
    - Many many more!!!

I tell why because they all were ready for new SW and they adapted theor fw and drivers!

If apple changed the connecticity all devices would fail!!

And this is not about data transfer at all, Tomtom devices are not able to establish connection, or they drop it constantly.

This is PURE fw stuff!
  • aliasGEBaliasGEB Posts: 40 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Really Apple has changed something in BT.. not clearly the frequency but the protocol, now you need to give the permission to transfer data via BT too.. this is the news. And additionally.. my Renault BT connection is not working anymore too just for this reason.. with iOS 12 no problem, with Android no problems.. with iOS13... PROBLEM
    Not so sure TT could solve it without change their own software.. and not so sure they can due to there are many months after iOS13 first release problem.. other company has solved in a few weeks.. they not!! and Renault too are not solving it and waiting for some change in iOS.. not so sure Apple will change their policy to solve issues these company are not able to solve themself.
    There is no need to give permission to transfer data ober BT.
    Transfer of pictures, files, sata berween smart warch etc. No need to turn on hot spot, works like charm without.
    Example my android smart watch is transfering all data and updates via iphone x ios13.3.
    Syncs weather promotly....
  • GreatLakesTONYGreatLakesTONY Posts: 9 [Master Explorer]
    edited December 2019
    Just updated my iPhone 6 to iOS 12.4.4. Too bad the ever-on-going issue with BT data iOS13 access has now officially arrived at iOS 12 too. My work around is here width rendered worthless.
    Was what iOS13 introduced a data security fix? Not sure why TomTom is still not able to update / adapt their app. There must be some major issue with their development team...
    Even free navigation software like Here Maps has updated at least 5 times since release of iOS13.
  • CRTOMTOMUSERCRTOMTOMUSER Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    edited December 2019
    Looks like IOS13 was the bigger part of the Problem and TomTom could not solve this without amendments from Apple! However, with the IOS13.3 update the MyDriveApp is now connecting with my TOMTOM GO520 first time since a few months..
    Looks like IOS13 was the bigger part of the Problem and TomTom could not solve this without amendments from Apple! However, with the IOS13.3 update the MyDriveApp is now connecting with my TOMTOM GO520 first time since a few months..

lasts few hours.............
    edited December 2019
    I got fed up and I am on Garmin, but my friend says he might figure it out with iOS 13.3 and SW OLDER then 27.9.2019 (19.201) on tomtom rider 550 tradfic and BT work flawless.
    That would indicate a bug in last tomtom device sw.

Anyone has device with non latest sw on it?
    I also dont know how to revert SW if this really works
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 12,213 Moderator
    edited December 2019
    Hello all

Since the last iOS update, some of our customers are facing connectivity issues between their smartphone and TomTom device. We understand the frustration and are working on a solution to make the connectivity work with iOS 13.

At the same time, we intend to keep a close eye on the iOS releases offered by Apple®.It looks they are also trying to roll out several updates since the first iOS 13 release back in September 2019 to iron out any bugs.

Thanks,
    Vikram.
  • johnsondvrjohnsondvr Posts: 29 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    VikramK. Thank you finally providing a comment from TomTom. However, do you have an indication on expected timeline as this has been an issue for a fair while?

Even a broad indication would be helpful and could you let your support staffs know that repeatedly advising to reset device and connections all the time for this known problem is becoming a little irritating. Since buying my Rider 550 in Sep 20, it would be great to finally have my device working as advertised with the functionality I bought it for.

Some more information would go a long way to ease the frustration.
    VikramK wrote: »
    Hello all

Since the last iOS update, some of our customers are facing connectivity issues between their smartphone and TomTom device. We understand the frustration and are working on a solution to make the connectivity work with iOS 13.

At the same time, we intend to keep a close eye on the iOS releases offered by Apple®.It looks they are also trying to roll out several updates since the first iOS 13 release back in September 2019 to iron out any bugs.

Thanks,
    Vikram.
    Sinde the last iOS update???? Last update is 13.3. The issue started with iOS 13.0....

Is TomTom even able to handle communication properly or is even not aware of facts?
  • JLevieJLevie Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Just sent an email to TomTom support team after earlet question about the use of an iPone with my GO520.
    I wrote tneemt het apparaat retour hat I feel mislead by TomTom as I did not get any warning that the sytem would not work - and dit not work for a month already - when I bought my device on October 18.
    Gave 3 options to TomTom:
    1. Take the product back and refund my money
    2. Replace by a system that works in some other way and has both all the same update functions like map updates, Live services and hands free.
    Interested to read their answer.
  • SailorDocSailorDoc Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    Wish I had seen this discussion before I bought a TomTom Rider 550 for Christmas 😡. My iPhone running IOS 13 and the latest version of the MyDrive app cannot get traffic information to the fully updated Rider 550, and the MyDrive app keeps intermittently saying device out of range even when they are right next to each other!

Luckily as I’ve only recently purchased the device, and product information does not mention the inability to get traffic updates, UK law in the form of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 is on my side. Thus I have raised a question offering TomTom and the retailer I bought the device from one chance to provide a reasonable date to guarantee a fix for the issue or I will reject it as unfit for purpose as per the Consumer Rights Act.
    Right.. today TT is not compliant for phone management as they said.. iPhone is clearly not supported and they have to inform customers on it. At least it is not supported since Sep 29 when iOS 13 was released.
  • SailorDocSailorDoc Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    Good grief, it’s even worse than I thought. It won’t even keep a stable Bluetooth connection with the phone! Looks like I’ll have to reject it.....
  • Stav-TheoStav-Theo Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    I've had the Rider 550 for a few months and seemed to work OK with my iPhone. Same as everyone else reported here, started having issues since iOS 13. I like the Tomtom device and wouldn't get rid of it but it's disappointing that it's taking so long to fix the bluetooth issue.
  • bottleybottley Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited December 2019
    Same here since I purchased my VIA 53 I have had Intermittent data connections - Now on IOS 13.3 And Cannot even get it to connect at all - using latest firmware for TomTom and up-to-date app - Also another annoying thing is it works when on the home Wi-Fi and will update the traffic but of course once you leave the Wi-Fi and on the road the traffic status stays the same - for example if a road has re-opened it will still think that its closed and send me around on a unnecessary diversion - hopeless !!
  • DitheduckDitheduck Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    It has taken me ages to connect my new Tom Tom to the phone and that is because the Tom Tom guidance is misleading. The guidance goes on about connecting via Bluetooth, and indeed you do need bluetooth on the phone enabled plus the personal hotspot and sharing enabled. I found you need to get a Bluetooth connection on the tom tom but the vital step for data sharing was to go into the wifi connection on the Tom Tom and get a wifi connection (with password) to my phone. Then it worked.
    If I hadn't spotted people talking about the wifi connection in this conversation I would never have got it because the Tom Tom advice people just keep going on about a Bluetooth connection.
  • johnsondvrjohnsondvr Posts: 29 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    edited December 2019
    The TomTom advice is correct it is just that the Bluetooth data connection is the problem that has been causing issues. Bluetooth connection for data should allow MyDrive connectivity without the need for using WiFi/Personal Hotspot through your iPhone. The use of a hotspot is an option but is not how the system is designed to work with using 2 bluetooth connections - one for hands free actions and one just for the data /traffic functions. Using a Bluetooth connection also uses less power than WiFi on your phone.
    Maybe a solution in 2020?
    we all hope so!!
  • HF2020HF2020 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    It straight-up cannot be this hard to get your BlueTooth stuff working, TomTom. Please can you actually dedicate engineering resources to this issue. It basically trashes your devices and makes using my phone, with plain old Google maps, much more attractive.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,254
    Superuser
    Hi @HF2020

This problem arose when Apple issued iOS 13 and not only TT are affected. TT have said they are continually looking at the situation and are also reviewing all the subsequent updates that Apple have issued to resolve bug issues etc to see if they can then restore the facility. If you still had IOS12 on your device then the service you want would still be working as before.

Doug
  • ClausBPClausBP Posts: 6 [Master Traveler]
    edited January 2020
    VikramK - TomTom!

Is there any progress in developing an update to our TomTom devices that will resolve the IOS13 Bluetooth issue?

Why are you not informing the customers on your Website?
    The information there is completely outdated:
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26781/kw/bluetooth ios 13

The lack of information is the real scandal in this matter.

• Roger_30Roger_30 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I had the same message from TT back in December 2018, it’s a bit obvious that they have had no intention of getting this sorted ASAP. They reckon they sent a fix out for iOS 13?