TomTom Home & MacOS X Catalina - Page 4 — TomTom Community

TomTom Home & MacOS X Catalina

Answers

• j_roger_newj_roger_new Posts: 225 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    edited December 2019
    VikramK wrote: »
    Thank you for your patience!

A new version of TomTom HOME is now available for download on our support website.

This version will cover the fix for the software application not working on macOS Catalina.

Here is a direct download link if you are super eager to install the upgraded version and get going :)

-Vikram

Like other users with Catalina it installs making you think all is well but then it won't open on my Mac Desktop.

When is the fix to make our TTs work with the latest Apple gear via bluetooth going to arrive? Using personal hotspot in the car is an annoying bodge work around that needs fixing or we need a one-off refund for the lost service.
  • FredottoFredotto Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Having bumped into all the above I was finally able to get Home to run - albeit in a bit of a hacky way.

Right click on the TomTomHome application and select "Show Package Contents"
    Then navigate to the folder - Contents/Resources/Java
    From there you can double click TomTomHOME-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT-runnable.jar to run it.

Now - getting my mac to recognise and connect to my Go 730 will be a whole new adventure.

I've not used Tom Tom before - It's like a trip down memory lane. Nice to see a company holding onto 1990's software values ;)

I was asked to download "Java SE Development Kit 13" but even after I installed Java TT Home gives an error and doesn't work...
  • IanRobertsIanRoberts Posts: 9 [Master Explorer]
    I, like other MacOS Catalina users, was today sent yet another attempt by TomTom to provide working software for TomTom HOME.

It doesn't work - again.

The download appears successful and the TomTom icon appears but does not open.

What I don't understand is how updates can be provided without first testing on a Mac running Catalina?

I have received apologies from TomTom and the promise of 3 months extension of maps update but it really doesn't compensate.
  • Bert1959Bert1959 Posts: 9 [Master Traveler]
    I feel happy knowing my subscription ends on the 25th of December. No more blaming the customers, no more excuses and no more tell-tales as in "yes we have a working version now".
  • avg_00avg_00 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited December 2019
    Having the same problem... Java errors and an installer closing down because of this message. Can't do anything with TomTom on my mac. Installing Java again and again doesn't solve this issue.

This appplication requires Java Runtime Environment 1.8.0_20 or above (Minimum Version JDK 1.8.0_20).
    Please install the JDK from the following location and try again

https://download.oracle.com/otn/java/jdk/8u20-b26/jdk-8u20-macosx-x64.dmg
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,302 Moderator
    edited December 2019
    Hello everyone,

It seems that there are two scenarios here.

1. Where TomTom HOME does not work with Mac Catalina 10.15 because of the dependencies on Java.
    2. Where you can install TomTom HOME but after installation you cannot launch the application, for this the team is investigating the cause.

For the first scenario I am giving the proposed solution here for our users who have problems installing the TomTom Homes for Catalina.

TomTom HOME, which is compatible with MAC 10.15, is available at this link:

http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/application/home2upgrade/home2latest/TomTomHOME2mac.dmg

bghoz6bwyhcb.png

Some users during installation may receive the message, the Java Runtime Environment Update:

myof0h9uros5.png

The link given in the error message is incorrect .
    If you receive this message, please follow the steps below :

STEP 1:

Go to the URL below
    https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/java-archive-javase8-2177648.html

STEP 2:

Scroll down to get version Jdk 1.8.152. By default, the license agreement is rejected, the user must accept the license agreement and then click the download link:
     jdk- 8u -152 macosx-x64.dmg

anb5u2d5ctbs.png

STEP 3:

You will be redirected to the Oracle log-in page if you already have an oracle account please log in with your user ID and password or click on "Create Account" below.

n9aga0dlbmjv.png

STEP 4:

Complete all mandatory fields and then click Create Account.

tk16cu0cr057.png

STEP 5:

After clicking Create Account, an email will be sent to the registered email address for review by Oracle.

7cr8ut6nel8y.png

STEP 6:

The user receives an e-mail with a button to check the user account, when clicking on the user is directed to a page on which the user account is activated.

kzij2mxmjkkz.png

STEP 7:

As soon as the Oracle account is created, please log in with your access data and navigate to the download page again to download the jdk- 8u -152 macosx-x64.dmg as already mentioned.

clz0bgrcixit.png

Thanks
    Vikram
  • mauricealbertmauricealbert Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
    Hello !
    Thanks for this solutions... but I don't always open Tomtom Home ! Perhaps a problem configuration on my computer ?
    Thanks,
    maurice albert. marseilles.france.
  • FredottoFredotto Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    The investigation seems to be very long and problematic... maybe having done a god testing in advance would have been a good idea...
  • avg_00avg_00 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited December 2019
    Thanks, the java solution seems to help.

it installed, but now it's not starting up. Looks we are at scenario 2 now.
    There's no reaction whatsoever when starting the tomtom home program
    Hello All,

Apparently the team has come to a conclusion that the problem described in the 2nd scenario above could also be related to Java(correct version)

We have released TTHOME version 2.20.4.1267 .
    NB: this is the update compatible with the latest Mac OS 10.15 that supports 64-bit, but it is also offered to Mac OS 10.12/.10.13/10.14.
    For any MAC user (from 10.12 up to 10.15) who is encountering issues with the installation of TTHOME or TTHOME not launching try the following steps:

1. Remove TomTom HOME completely from the MAC (Open the Finder> Select Applications> TomTom HOME> Drag the program to the bin)

2. Redownload TomTom HOME from the website: https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7448/~/installing-tomtom-home

3. Launch TomTom HOME

If TomTom HOME downloads and installs but cannot be opened (pressing the TomTom HOME icon on desktop or finder menu does not launch ) please follow the steps below-

Navigate to /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines in finder and check if JDK 1.8.0_152 is there or not
    (to open the Library: Go to Finder > Go. Select Go to Folder (or use Shift+Command+G) Type this exactly: ~/Library)

um6mlprkadni.png

If any other JDK version is already present then right click and Move to Bin/Trash.

haqxzhsy1s4t.png

After uninstalling a higher version please follow the below steps to download and install JDK 1.8.0_152.

STEP 1:

Go to the URL below
    https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/java-archive-javase8-2177648.html

STEP 2:

Scroll down to get version Jdk 1.8.152. By default, the license agreement is rejected, the user must accept the license agreement and then click the download link:
     jdk- 8u -152 macosx-x64.dmg

anb5u2d5ctbs.png

STEP 3:

You will be redirected to the Oracle log-in page if you already have an oracle account please log in with your user ID and password or click on "Create Account" below.

n9aga0dlbmjv.png

STEP 4:

Complete all mandatory fields and then click Create Account.

tk16cu0cr057.png

STEP 5:

After clicking Create Account, an email will be sent to the registered email address for review by Oracle.

7cr8ut6nel8y.png

STEP 6:

The user receives an e-mail with a button to check the user account, when clicking on the user is directed to a page on which the user account is activated.

kzij2mxmjkkz.png

STEP 7:

As soon as the Oracle account is created, please log in with your access data and navigate to the download page again to download the jdk- 8u -152 macosx-x64.dmg as already mentioned.

clz0bgrcixit.png

Please share your feedback so I can forward it across to the teams.

Thanks
    Vikram
  • MikeBrouwerMikeBrouwer Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    Hi,
    This solved the problem almost for me...
    The software is starting, but it doesn't recognize my TT SD card of NB1 system.

What can i do to check issue ?

Mike
  • Slash103Slash103 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    I didall the steps Vikram wrote, got me into installing tt home
    But doesn’t start when i double click rhe app

If I try via the java applet, it starts but does not recognice my nb1 SD card
  • Bert1959Bert1959 Posts: 9 [Master Traveler]
    blimey, the icon doesn't even bounce....

Why do you want us to install Java-vesions that suit you? I mean on my system all applications work fine apart from one. And seeing your toils, troubles and problems to come up with a working version I think I don't do anything with Java as I might end up with TT Home working but what will happen to the other apps on my machine.

Come on, do your homework !!!!!

Not so kind regards
  • mauricealbertmauricealbert Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
    For me, it's O.K. I was finally able to install TomTom Home 64 bits on Catalina and also on Mojave on external disk. Thanks you to VikramK, Tom Tom Moderator for indicating how to proceed. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
    maurice albert - marseilles -france.
  • Jose_L_1957Jose_L_1957 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hello.
    I followed in Vikramk's footsteps regarding the Java version "jdk-8v-152 macosx-64.dmg" and was able to install Tomtom Home 2.20 for mac os mojave 10.14.6
    It seems to work fine, except for backup, which when you run it unexpectedly closes the application and appears error window.
    Any suggests?
    e33lmm63xl6m.png
  • DM_EssonneDM_Essonne Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    Vikramk Hello : after i removed all old Java installations in Library/Application Support/Java (there was no Java folder directly in Library), I installed jdk-8u152 as mentioned. But, when launching TomTomHOME2, I received an error message (insufficient space, and that is not true). I am under MacOS 10.14.6.
    I think you have a lot of work…
  • Malletts1Malletts1 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I've just had to update my TomTom Home software as the old 32-bit version is no longer supported, duly done, but when I come to launch the app I get nothing. How am I supposed to update with my new maps?
    edited December 2019
    Hi @Malletts1

Welcome to the community!

Could you try the troubleshooting advice provided in my post here-https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1685365/#Comment_1685365

Regards
    Vikram

• vigielfvigielf Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hello,

First of all, I don't understand why you need to remove all other versions of the jdk, that is poor software implementation. Other applications may require a different version of the jdk on my mac....

In all cases, I did go ahead and remove them to try your solution
    j3uik4haj7wr.png

but I am facing the same issue. It keeps complaining about needing the jdk1.8 update 20. (I have the 231 update installed). I am on macOS Catalina 10.15.2
    9v1n7kpho3gg.png

What are my options?
  • HilaryfrancesHilaryfrances Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    Hello. I have done everything that VikramK has told me to do, and at last the tomtom home app launched okay, and even "found" my device, but the screen then immediately goes blank. I have restarted my mac laptop but the same thing keeps happening. Help!!!
  • KMCKKMCK Posts: 7 [Master Traveler]
    After several attempts got the app to install and open on my Mac running Catalina, but it won't recognise the card from my device, a Mazda NB1 in car device.
    VikramK - what now??
  • NHBobNHBob Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Got the update installed, java installed, TTHome opens but trying to update gpsfix just keeps spinning and saying "Busy Changing Files" - any ideas???
  • PaulHolmstromPaulHolmstrom Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Downloading jdk 152 did not help, so I installed the 152 runtime environment as well. To do that I had to uninstall all newer Java versions. I then managed to download and install the latest version of TomTom Home. However it is very unstable and keeps crashing. I could update maps, but as soon as I try again or click on purchase maps it crashes. I then need to restart the computer.
  • User15User15 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    I am a Java developer. I have several Java versions installed, and need them.

Are you seriously telling me I need to configure my machine into an outdated, old state, just to make it look the same as what your developers are using, because you cannot manage to make your software run on machines that are up to date?

I even have Java 8 installed, which is apparently what your software uses. But you need me to uninstall Java 11?

This is ridiculous. If this is your approach to software development, you will go out of business.
  • Malletts1Malletts1 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    All done as suggested and TomTom Home opens up fine. However, it is not recognising the SD card from my Mazda. Now what?