TomTom Go 50 connects to MyDriveConnect but not to TomTom Home. Help? — TomTom Community

TomTom Go 50 connects to MyDriveConnect but not to TomTom Home. Help?

Do not know where to change the language. The Go 50 was acting erratic such as start stop start stop. Seemed like a battery problem. Changed the battery and still the same. Next, I thought to reinstall the software thru Tom Tom Home but will not connect. The Go 50 connects to MyDrive Connect but not to Tom Tom Home. I could reinstall the software and try this before making another decision. Ideas are welcome

Best Answer

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,668
    Superusers
    edited December 2019 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @phjohan

TomtomHome is for the early NAV2 devices....
    You CANNOT use TomtomHome to update a NAV4 GO 50, it is NOT compatible....

ATB YFM

Answers

• LochfrassLochfrass Posts: 15,489
    Superusers
    edited December 2019
    Hello and welcome to the forum where TT users help each other. I just see that you live in Germany (according to the forum profile). Do you happen to have a Surfacebook? Since the error would be known with the disconnect.
  • phjohanphjohan Posts: 15 [Master Traveler]
    Thank goodness for Google translate.

Nein
  • LochfrassLochfrass Posts: 15,489
    Superusers
    Whitch OS is your pc. Is it a Laptop or a Tower Pc?
    My laptop is operating on Windows 10. TomTom Go 50 sees the computer but TomTom Home does not see TomTom Go 50. MyDrive Connect works fine.
    When will someone provide an answer? In the meantime, switched to Google Maps.
    Superusers
    Hi
    @phjohan

The Tomtom GO 50 is a NAV4 Device and requires MyDrive Connect to update the device ....
    Get MDC Here... https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/getstarted/p/3822

Tomtom GO 50 User Guide...
    Here... http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/GO_50/index.htm

ATB YFM
    Thank you YamFazMan. Unfortunately, the operating software cannot be installed since this is my solution to fix the Go 50. I find TomTom Home can do this hopefully but TomTom Home will not connect. The original problem is TomTom Go 50 keeps shutting down while driving to a destination.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,256
    Superuser
    Hi @phjohan

The Tomtom GO50 has never been recognised by the TomTom Home software as that is the software required for the old Tomtom units sold well prior to the GO50's first release.. The GO50 requires the Tomtom My Drive Connect software to enable you to update and manage the device.

The Go 50 shutting down during use is not related to the TomTom HOME software or the My Drive Software but possibly because you are not using the Cig Socket plug provided with the unit but connecting it via a USB socket or a 3rd party Cig socket both of which are not supplying the required power to run and keep charged up. If it is not because of these suggestions it may be a battery issue.

You could try a factory Reset to see if that sorts it.

Tap Menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap System
    Tam Reset Device.

if you do this you will lose any favourites ie My Places and any Route files you have added. If you go to the My Drive website and log into your account there then you can check if the data you will lose is stored there an if so you can sync it back to the GO50 after the reset.

Doug
    Superusers
    edited December 2019
    Hi
    @phjohan
    phjohan wrote: »
    Thank you YamFazMan. Unfortunately, the operating software cannot be installed since this is my solution to fix the Go 50. I find TomTom Home can do this hopefully but TomTom Home will not connect. The original problem is TomTom Go 50 keeps shutting down while driving to a destination.
    What happens when you try to install MyDrive Connect....

The Previous NAV4 and Latest (NAV5 WiFi) devices are quite power hungry and can go into "Power saving mode" if not supplied with enough power

When the device is In use they are designed to be always connected to a power supply
    The Tomtom supplied Power Adapter is rated at 5Volts 1.2Amps
    Even after you have recharged the device externally via a mains charger, when in use in the vehicle, they will still require being connected to a Tomtom supplied Power Adapter (Or a proven suitable 3rd party Power adapter)

(1)... Do NOT attach them to a dashboard USB port in your vehicle as they normally only supply 500mAmp (0.5Amp) and are for data transfer and not supplying power: See... Note (1) & (2)

(2)... Using a NONE Tomtom 3rd party underpowered or a mismatched cigarette lighter charger can cause the device to go into Power Saving Mode: See... Note (1)

(3)... On the Models with a built-in SIM, the reduction of power to the SIM can cause the dropping of the traffic info: Note (3)

Note (1)... At an (Undisclosed) percentage of battery discharge, the device will try to save its power requirements by dimming the screen and eventually powers off the device... Devices with a built-in SIM Card may also lose Live Traffic services
    Note (2)... A dashboard USB port can also fool a NAV4 Device into entering 'Updating Mode' and display the Connected to your Computer splash screen
    Note (3)... I tried connecting my Tomtom GO 6200 to my Cars USB port, checked the connection status it reports 'Connected over USB' --> 'GPRS (SIM) Disconnected'

Try using the Tomtom supplied cable and Tomtom supplied Power Adapter
    The Charger Adaptor and USB Cable supplied by Tomtom WILL run and charge the device at the same time

Many 3rd party Mismatched Charger Adaptors won't run and charge the device at the same time
    See... It's not simply a power thing.....
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1182024/#Comment_1182024

ATB YFM
    Doug,

Thanks for your input. The GO 50 is using the original power cable from the cigarette lighter. Also verified problem is not the power cable. The GO 50 was reset and lost all my data. However, the GO 50 still had the shutting down problem. My thought was to replace the operating software by downloading from TomTom Home. Still in troubleshoot mode and will have to re=evaluate.
    Superusers
    edited December 2019 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @phjohan

TomtomHome is for the early NAV2 devices....
    You CANNOT use TomtomHome to update a NAV4 GO 50, it is NOT compatible....

ATB YFM

Greetings YamFazMan,

Thank you for your answer. I am using TomTom supplied equipment. I have noticed when setting a destination while connected to the Laptop I do not see GO 50 acting erratic or shutdown and startup. Right now connected via MyDrive Connect where the Go 50 and computer see each other. Installing a new map and will try again. My thought was the operating software needs to be reloaded but could not connect to TomTom Home.
    Greetings Lochfrass,

No I do not have a Surfacebook. I am using a laptop with Windows v10.
    Superusers
    edited December 2019
    Hi
    @phjohan

Erratic behaviour on the road....
    400 MB is considered the bare minimum Free Working Space
    The more Free Space the faster the device will operate...
    Check... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> System --> About... Scroll down to Check the Free Space available....
    The full Europe Map now also exceed the 8GB of the NAV4 on-board Memory... This is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....
    See Catch22... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1682914/#Comment_1682914

Erratic behaviour updating using MyDrive Connect
    Download/Installation interrupted
    Are your USB ports set for power saving "USB Selective Suspend"

Win7 See... http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/147369-usb-selective-suspend-turn-off.html

Win10 See… https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/73187-turn-off-usb-selective-suspend-windows-10-a.html
    Click on link and scroll down to "Turn Off USB Selective Suspend"

Also turn off any Screen savers any other Power savers or USB port monitoring software installed

Random Disconnects on Surface Pro 3 & 4
    Do you have or have access to a 'Surface Dock', if so plug your device into a USB port on that. Others have found that to work
    On the Win10 tablets, Microsoft has hidden the "USB Selective Suspend" menu
    You will need to edit the Registry for the USB Selective Suspend menu to show.....
    Also see... Windows 10 Power Settings for Surface Pro devices
    See... https://www.lovemysurface.net/windows-10-power-settings-for-surface/

Laptop users also see Note (1) & (2)
    Note... (1) My Linx 10/10 Win10 Tablet is exactly the same... I had to edit the Registry to activate the advanced setting in the Power Menu
    Note...(2) Recently a User with a Dell XPS 9360 Laptop also exactly the same problem ... he also had to edit the Registry to activate the advanced setting in the Power Menu

See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1234855/#Comment_1234855

ATB YFM
    After a map update, I still see the same problem. Go 50 RDS TMC disconnected and then reconnected. The battery is also disconnected and reconnected. I do not see the problem when connected to the laptop but the RDS-TMC problem is noticed after a destination is set in then shortly afterwards, the RDS-TMC problem occurs. Any clues?