Does anyone else have a problem with the Rider 550 quality? — TomTom Community

Does anyone else have a problem with the Rider 550 quality?

gilesmhaywardgilesmhayward Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited November 2019 in RIDER
Just interested to see if anyone else is having a similar issue. I have had my rider 550 replaced twice now by TomTom:

First device they sold with a faulty battery
Second device had condensation inside the screen

I am now having to send back my third device because the screen is going blank during navigation.

Does anyone else have this many issues with the quality of TomTom's 'top of the range' product, or am I just really unlucky?

Answers

• BenellistaBenellista Posts: 6 [Master Traveler]
    My only BIG problem is that they are not able to fix bluetooth connection on Apple's device

I did not have any problem you describe with the device until now.
  • JoelS.JoelS. Posts: 317 [Exalted Navigator]
    I am now having to send back my third device because the screen is going blank during navigation.

is screen rotation locked ??
    that can cause this issue if it senses rotation is requested.
    how long does it stay blacked out ??

condensation is a known issue, not sure how widespread it is, but yours isn't the first one. (add mine to the list, 40/400. don't want the 50/500 because they took away the bluetooth import feature)
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,129
    Superuser
    Hi @JoelS.

The Premium does not have a screen rotate option. You rotate the hold the Unit fits in.

Doug
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 547 [Revered Pioneer]
    Both me and my wife own a Rider 550. No battery or condensation problems.
    I configured screen rotation locked on both devices.

On my Rider 550 I have seen the Back screen problem (and a crash). After some testing this seemed to be a BlueTooth problem. The Rider was not able to connect to my Phone and tried again and again. Resulting in some Black screens and a reboot.
    I fixed this issue by rebooting my Phone.
  • JoelS.JoelS. Posts: 317 [Exalted Navigator]
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @JoelS.

The Premium does not have a screen rotate option. You rotate the hold the Unit fits in.

Doug

it is a software screen lock option, so that it does not rotate. i should have been more clear in my first post. i am aware how to rotate the screen and device, this is a screen rotation LOCK so the software does not rotate the screen image.

my original post .... is screen rotation locked ??
    that can cause this issue if it senses rotation is requested.
    how long does it stay blacked out ??
  • gilesmhaywardgilesmhayward Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi All. Apparently the screen going blank is a known fault and they are working on a fix. However, I have had to send back my third device due to condensation inside the screen again. I will now have had 4 devices within a year.
  • ViewpointViewpoint Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    On my third replacement :# due moisture inside screen. No fix , not a happy bunny