TomTom Traffic only for Local region - Why? — TomTom Community

TomTom Traffic only for Local region - Why?

SimonWatsonSimonWatson Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
I have a subscription for Traffic & Speed Cameras for my Android app. I am used - from previous journeys to Europe - to the traffice only being available for each country, so no german traffic available until you cross the border from France. Since the summer UK traffic seems to have become regionalised. On recent journeys from Birmingham to Essex, only Midlands traffic shows. As I go down the M1 towards London Traffic jams appear 'out of nowhere' On the last trip my passenger used Google Maps, and saw traffic jams on the M1 and M25 when we left Birmingham - nothing on Tom Tom!. Is there a setting that I have accidentally set, or is this a new thing for Traffic now, maybe a 'data saver'? Surely the app should show all traffic for your route - local if a short journey or National if a longer one?
Tagged:

Answers

• dhndhn Posts: 33,312
    Superusers
    Believe there is a 50 mile horizon limit for live traffic.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,389
    Superuser
    Hi

The 50ish mile radius for traffic is based on your current position so on a 100 mile journey you should be being offered directions based on the next 50 miles of traffic information.

I assume @simonwatson is suggesting that when he has done about 50 miles form the start of his journey that he then has no traffic data helping him for the remainder of his journey which should not be happening.

Is that correct @SimonWatson

Doug
  • SimonWatsonSimonWatson Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Yes Doug, that's it. Surely I should be able to see traffic for the whole journey to make an informed decision about a route! How can TomTom plan a 50+ mile route without access to live traffic for the whole of the proposed route? If you look on the TT website traffic info is available for the whole of the UK. I'm sure this never used to happen, so perhaps a misguided attempt to save mobile data? If it is then I'll save my TT traffic subscription and use Google/Waze - I have always relied on TT traffic as well worth paying for. I assume that it must be the same for TT devices as well as they use the same data feed.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,754
    Superusers
    edited December 2019
    Hi
    Yes Doug, that's it. Surely I should be able to see traffic for the whole journey to make an informed decision about a route! How can TomTom plan a 50+ mile route without access to live traffic for the whole of the proposed route? If you look on the TT website traffic info is available for the whole of the UK. I'm sure this never used to happen, so perhaps a misguided attempt to save mobile data? If it is then I'll save my TT traffic subscription and use Google/Waze - I have always relied on TT traffic as well worth paying for. I assume that it must be the same for TT devices as well as they use the same data feed.
    Tomtom PND's 'DO' have a Traffic Horizon dynamically centred (Live) from your present location...
    The Traffic Horizon (Bubble of about 50 Miles/80 Kilometres) travels in-front of and around your current location and travels along your route, as you progress on your journey and is constantly being refreshed every 2 Minutes...

Currently the journey time from Worcestershire to Liverpool (As in the example image) is 2hrs 14mins why would I want to know the Traffic info for more than 2 hours ahead, when the traffic Horizon (Bubble) travelling forward with me and constantly being refreshed every 2 Minutes....

6p3gbtni32cv.jpg
    If you want World Live Traffic see the MyDrive Web Route planner
    There's also an option to turn-on and view the live Traffic flow
    Here...https://mydrive.tomtom.com

ATB YFM
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,389
    Superuser
    edited December 2019
    Hi @SimonWatson

My original comment was saying that I assume that you are saying that if you go on a 100+ mile journey you are suggesting that after you have driven the first 50 miles of the trip you get no traffic data from then on. This should not happen..

If you are saying you want to know the traffic details for the whole journey then I would say that that is not really likely to be beneficial. as by the time you would get to the distant traffic problem it could be gone.

I recently had a 4 hour mainly motorway journey and for the first 2 hours there were no traffic problems indicated. Suddenly it indicated that there was a 29 minute delay on the route but did not immediately suggest any alternative routes to take because the delay was very near the end of my journey. After another 1 hours travel and with 1 1/2 hours showing as the remaining time ie 1 hour + 29 minute indicated delay I was offered an alternative route saving 22 minutes.. This seems sensible to me as there is always the chance as I near the delay the problem may be sorted and certainly to have taken an alternative route earlier would have been a waste of time.

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,754
    Superusers
    Hi
    @DougLap +1

ATB YFM